Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 157 Likes Search this Thread
09-16-2021, 10:14 AM   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
We will expect lots and lots of photos! And a sample thread!

09-17-2021, 04:35 AM - 7 Likes   #92
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Some shooting reports are out today in Japan.

Yaotomi Camera
??? RICOH GR IIIx ?????????? 40mm???????????? - ????

Map Camera
713:?RICOH GR IIIx? | KASYAPA

Kind of nice that one is mostly rural and the other urban.
09-17-2021, 10:08 AM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really like the rural shots, that stretch of forest on the hills calls to me... seems like the 40mm lens did a good job along with the photographer's compositional skills in those photos.
09-17-2021, 10:55 AM - 5 Likes   #94

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Test photo in low light. ISO 640, 0 ev, f2.8, 1/20s, Positive filter. ��

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
RICOH GR IIIx  Photo 
09-17-2021, 05:12 PM   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Yxkane Quote
Test photo in low light. ISO 640, 0 ev, f2.8, 1/20s, Positive filter. ��
I like it!. As expected, there's a bit more dimensionality to it than you could get with the 18.3mm lens. I'm really curious just how often the camera will be able to get that effect.
09-19-2021, 10:35 AM   #96
Pentaxian

As far as i have tested, the difference is pretty negligible versus low speed aperture re. bokeh rendering @f/2.8, especially in sunlight.
This is definitely not what i would call a "bokeh-lens".
But the files are highly clean as far as artefacts and resolution are concerned, and contrast & color rendering are excellent.
09-19-2021, 12:51 PM   #97
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
As far as i have tested, the difference is pretty negligible versus low speed aperture re. bokeh rendering @f/2.8, especially in sunlight.
This is definitely not what i would call a "bokeh-lens".
But the files are highly clean as far as artefacts and resolution are concerned, and contrast & color rendering are excellent.
The GRiii is not an “everything” camera.
If people want that, they should go DSLR.
It is fine if used within its limitations.

09-28-2021, 07:31 AM   #98
JPT
Pentaxian

A report from Fujiya Camera which shows some crops to illustrate sharpness.
RICOH(???) GR IIIx ??????? ??????? ?????? ????????????????

A couple of articles with images from the GRIIIx on the GR Blog
GR IIIx ???????? ?????? | GR official | ??????????????
GR IIIx????? ???? | GR official | ??????????????
09-28-2021, 07:45 AM   #99
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
A report from Fujiya Camera which shows some crops to illustrate sharpness.
RICOH(???) GR IIIx ??????? ??????? ?????? ????????????????

A couple of articles with images from the GRIIIx on the GR Blog
GR IIIx ???????? ?????? | GR official | ??????????????
GR IIIx????? ???? | GR official | ??????????????
Thanks for these links. The lens looks at least as amazing as its wide angle sibling.
09-28-2021, 08:35 AM   #100
Pentaxian

It's interesting to see what people choose to photograph and how they frame with the new focal length. Remarkably consistent across all samples we've seen so far. Seems like it demands more of the user than the 28 equiv lens. When context is cropped out the subject becomes more critical and understandably sample galleries don't afford great subjects.

Looking forward to seeing someone using it seriously but I think there might be a lot of pretty but empty photos coming out of this camera. Images look so much cleaner than the 28GR due to fl but also more boring.
09-28-2021, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
It's interesting to see what people choose to photograph and how they frame with the new focal length. Remarkably consistent across all samples we've seen so far. Seems like it demands more of the user than the 28 equiv lens. When context is cropped out the subject becomes more critical and understandably sample galleries don't afford great subjects.

Looking forward to seeing someone using it seriously but I think there might be a lot of pretty but empty photos coming out of this camera. Images look so much cleaner than the 28GR due to fl but also more boring.
It's certainly a different challenge using 40mm than 28mm, but both are capable of being good - or bad. 28mm can very easily be used wrongly, as in, too far away from a main subject and not enough care towards what is included/excluded on the edges of the frame. 40mm is more straightly cerebral, for you point it more closely towards what you see, with less peripheral information being included. I have seen fantastic 40mm images, so I think it's more just the early, relatively boring, nature of product testing shots by reviewers.

I've shot a lot with 40mm (in the form of the Panasonic 20/1.7 for M4/3, and a couple of compacts, like the Ricoh 500G rangefinder) and enjoy that focal length immensely, in fact, it's my favorite ever. I am interested to see if the nature of the GR (LCD only, held out from the body, quicker to turn on-off, one-handed operation, very inconspicuous) makes my 40mm shots have a different character than they are with mainly viewfinder-framed shots from my other cameras.
09-28-2021, 09:55 AM   #102
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
I am interested to see if the nature of the GR (LCD only, held out from the body, quicker to turn on-off, one-handed operation, very inconspicuous) makes my 40mm shots have a different character than they are with mainly viewfinder-framed shots from my other cameras.
Yes it's the combination of things, the GR package, I'm also very curious about at 40mm equiv. 40mm as part of another system is a different kettle of fish imho. I mean 50mm doesn't necessarily look "stiff" as part of a normal slr or rangefinder system.
09-28-2021, 05:25 PM - 2 Likes   #103
JPT
Pentaxian

DPR has put up a fairly extensive gallery of sample photos now.
Ricoh GR IIIx sample gallery: Digital Photography Review

I like the selection of images here. They've taken it to some kind of fair and taken quite a variety of shots. The output looks quite consistent with the GRIII (28mm equiv.) in terms of colour and sharpness, but with the different focal length.
10-03-2021, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #104
Pentaxian

I had such a good impression testing this new tool that i ordered it even if i will not have the complete funds by christmas

Here are a few other shots taken with FW 1.0 :

Search: GRIIIx | Flickr
10-04-2021, 07:55 AM   #105

I'm just curious to know why anyone would spend their hard earned cash on such an overpriced compact when, as just one example, the comparison sites rate it lower than the four year older Sony A5100 (a camera I have in my collection and love) which, as well as having a tilt screen AND a zoom lens, is close to half the price? What am I missing?