Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2021, 06:15 AM - 2 Likes   #121
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Some more reports with samples on the GR IIIx by Japanese retailers if you like that kind of thing.

Naniwa Camera ?GR IIIx?OSAKA NIGHT SNAP ????????
Kitamura Camera RICOH GR IIIx ?40mm?????????????GR????????? and RICOH GR IIIx ????????????????????
Fujiya Camera RICOH(???) GR IIIx ??????? ??????? ?????? ????????????????
Map Camera https://news.mapcamera.com/maptimes/【ricoh】夜の帳が降りる頃、神スナップ機「gr-iiix」を/
Murauchi 35

10-05-2021, 07:30 AM   #122
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Two and a half years after the original is not "on the heels" of it, IMO.
Personally, I've gone to take photos around the city many, many times with only the FA43 mounted on the camera and it's liberating to have nothing but a compact fast prime in that range. To me the GRiiix is very, very appealing. And it's as good as it is precisely because it is specialized.
To me personally, it is very confining.

When I ‘go around town’, I take my 20-40mm Ltd lens, and then I have to ignore birds, squirrels, etc that would have called for something ‘longer’.

We are clearly different people with different preferences, so I see no reason to continue this discussion.
I would never purchase one, but I hope lots of people like you do to fund the next Pentax camera.
10-05-2021, 09:26 AM   #123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well, this topic kinda fell on its face... nice fat lip there, want some ice?
10-06-2021, 04:49 AM   #124
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
To me the GRiiix is very, very appealing. And it's as good as it is precisely because it is specialized.
My thoughts exactly, and for many others no doubt.

10-06-2021, 07:53 AM   #125
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Thwyllo Quote
I'm just curious to know why anyone would spend their hard earned cash on such an overpriced compact when, as just one example, the comparison sites rate it lower than the four year older Sony A5100 (a camera I have in my collection and love) which, as well as having a tilt screen AND a zoom lens, is close to half the price? What am I missing?
Basically, it's a LOT to pay for compactness. I have an X-T20 (and an older but even more compact X-M1) with Fujinon 23mm f/2 lens, and that's as compact as I'd ever need, but I suppose some people really want something that will fit in even a small pocket.
10-06-2021, 08:35 AM   #126
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
My thoughts exactly, and for many others no doubt.
Indeed. Many occasions on which I don't even want to lug a camera bag around, or a camera off my shoulder. Regardless whether it is fitted with the 21mm, or 43mm - a light bag with these two lenses is often with me, but certainly not always.
In those situations, the smallest camera with a high IQ appeals. There's nothing with similar IQ in that small size.
But if you don't need that - it is a waste of investment. Horses for courses.
10-06-2021, 09:57 AM   #127
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
Indeed. Many occasions on which I don't even want to lug a camera bag around, or a camera off my shoulder. Regardless whether it is fitted with the 21mm, or 43mm - a light bag with these two lenses is often with me, but certainly not always.
In those situations, the smallest camera with a high IQ appeals. There's nothing with similar IQ in that small size.
But if you don't need that - it is a waste of investment. Horses for courses.
and you are willing to pay for such limited capacity.

The more of you who feel that way, the more money allows Ricoh to produce the flexible cameras that others of us need.

10-06-2021, 10:41 AM   #128
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote

The more of you who feel that way, the more money allows Ricoh to produce the flexible cameras that others of us need.
In my case yes, as soon as I am able to.
The cost is low relative to an X100V which is a very nice camera, build quality and all, but large by comparison and without IBIS.
10-06-2021, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #129
Pentaxian

It isn't only compactness.
The GR is a heck of a photographer tool.
One needs to use it and dive into the menus to get it.
10-07-2021, 05:18 AM   #130
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
It isn't only compactness.
The GR is a heck of a photographer tool.
One needs to use it and dive into the menus to get it.
My KP is a ‘heck of a photographer tool’ - but that comes partly from not having to use the menus at all …. at least, once it is set up. The external controls are more than sufficient once it is set up. I hope you aren’t saying that you have to make regular use of the menus in order for it to be a good tool.

Last edited by reh321; 10-07-2021 at 05:26 AM.
10-07-2021, 05:24 AM   #131
Pentaxian

It really is a very good camera with an incredibly good lens, and comparatively the price would seem justifiable. I don't think it's a milk cow.
But whether one wants to pay this - or even 50% more for the Fuji X100F - is an individual choice as you say.
10-07-2021, 10:03 AM - 2 Likes   #132
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My KP is a ‘heck of a photographer tool’ - but that comes partly from not having to use the menus at all …. at least, once it is set up. The external controls are more than sufficient once it is set up. I hope you aren’t saying that you have to make regular use of the menus in order for it to be a good tool.
Quite the contrary, with the physical controls and the 5-function quick menu, which only requires a button press and a quick scroll to the setting you need, you don't have to spend much time in the menus at all. I can confidently say that the GRIII menus are miles more intuitive and fast than the KP. That's why the K3III borrowed so heavily from the GRIII setup, it's better. The 5-function quick menu functions conceptually a lot like the customized dial on the KP.
10-07-2021, 10:20 AM   #133
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
Quite the contrary, with the physical controls and the 5-function quick menu, which only requires a button press and a quick scroll to the setting you need, you don't have to spend much time in the menus at all. I can confidently say that the GRIII menus are miles more intuitive and fast than the KP. That's why the K3III borrowed so heavily from the GRIII setup, it's better. The 5-function quick menu functions conceptually a lot like the customized dial on the KP.
I can directly control all three legs of the ‘exposure triangle’ without removing the KP from my eye, so I have little need/use for the menu system, regardless of how ‘intuitive’ it is or isn’t; I believe the K-1 has something similar; I hope the K-3iii does also, but I’m not sure about the GR.
10-07-2021, 10:23 AM - 4 Likes   #134
Loyal Site Supporter

It looks like you aren't the target market for this camera. Rather than nay saying it, why not politely bow out of the thread and let the people who are in the market for it discuss it without the verbal pollution?

---------- Post added Oct 7th, 2021 at 11:43 AM ----------

I can directly control all three legs of the ‘exposure triangle’ without removing the KP from my eye, so I have little need/use for the menu system, regardless of how ‘intuitive’ it is or isn’t; I believe the K-1 has something similar; I hope the K-3iii does also, but I’m not sure about the GR.
You could take a few moments and find out if you were interested in knowing. I'm sure that there are pictures of a GRIII along with a downloadable owners manual available.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 10-07-2021 at 10:41 AM.
10-07-2021, 10:50 AM   #135
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It looks like you aren't the target market for this camera. Rather than nay saying it, why not politely bow out of the thread and let the people who are in the market for it discuss it without the verbal pollution?
I’ve said over and over again that I am not in their target market.
I discovered many years ago that I need more flexibility than a fixed lens - even if zoomed - can provide, but it’s proponents keep making claims that turn out to be untrue or questionable, I cannot ignore them - I will ask questions.
I do hope that many spend money on it so Ricoh can expand other lines, but I would hate for people to spend that money under false pretenses.

Last edited by reh321; 10-07-2021 at 11:02 AM.