Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2021, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #136
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I’ve said over and over again that I am not in their target market.
I discovered many years ago that I need more flexibility than a fixed lens - even if zoomed - can provide, but it’s proponents keep making claims that turn out to be untrue, I cannot ignore them.
I do hope that many spend money on it so Ricoh can expand other lines, but I would hate for people to spend that money under false pretenses.
Come on, I'm pretty sure that no one buys a camera clearly advertised as a fixed-lens, prime-only compact expecting an ILC with a telezoom.
It's not the first time you post JUST to say "it's not for me and it's not a flexible camera".

10-07-2021, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #137
Loyal Site Supporter

I discovered many years ago that I need more flexibility than a fixed lens - even if zoomed - can provide, but it’s proponents keep making claims that turn out to be untrue, I cannot ignore them.
I do hope that many spend money on it so Ricoh can expand other lines, but I would hate for people to spend that money under false pretenses.
Exactly what claims are it's proponents making that aren't true? Are you sure that this ethereal they are making untrue claims or just presenting opinions that you are finding ways to disagree with, so you are presenting these opinions as facts that you can call out?

BTW, exactly what is a zoomed fixed lens? It's something I've never heard of. My understanding is a fixed lens is not something that can be zoomed, unless that lens is being carried by Zoomers.
Or are you talking about a zoom lens that was once broken and now is fixed?
And why would you be talking about a zoom lens on a GRIII as part of a rebuttal? They don't have zoom lenses, and I've read nothing anywhere that makes a claim that they do.
How many other rebuttals are this sort of meaningless word soup?
10-07-2021, 11:50 AM   #138
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
BTW, exactly what is a zoomed fixed lens? It's something I've never heard of. My understanding is a fixed lens is not something that can be zoomed, unless that lens is being carried by Zoomers.
Or are you talking about a zoom lens that was once broken and now is fixed?
And why would you be talking about a zoom lens on a GRIII as part of a rebuttal? They don't have zoom lenses, and I've read nothing anywhere that makes a claim that they do.
How many other rebuttals are this sort of meaningless word soup?
A “fixed” lens is my terminology for a lens that is attached permanently to the camera - I.e., not an ILC. At one time, I used rangefinder film cameras, each having a prime lens permanently attached; at the beginning of the digital era, I used a camera with a zoom lens permanently attached. Both had the same problem - although the zoom lens fit more situations, I encountered some it did not, and I couldn’t ‘fix’ the problem by going out and purchasing a different lens. This is not a “rebuttal” - the inflexibility of having any lens permanently attached to the camera body is my primary reason for not considering the camera, as I have stated on several occasions. Some people seem the resulting package to be a good deal, but I do not. My physical toolkit includes both fixed and adjustable wrenches, but they are inexpensive. There is no place in my camera kit for such an expensive specialized camera. After saying I would not personally purchase such a specialized camera, I expected to say no more {as I am sure you would do}, but I have questioned what I see as potentially misleading statements, {mostly always} saying that I hope this camera will be successful even though it is not the right camera for me.

Last edited by reh321; 10-07-2021 at 12:10 PM.
10-07-2021, 11:59 AM - 4 Likes   #139
Loyal Site Supporter

A “fixed” lens is my terminology for a lens that is attached permanently to the camera - I.e., not an ILC. At one time, I used rangefinder film cameras, each having a prime lens permanently attached; at the beginning of the digital era, I used a camera with a zoom lens permanently attached. Both had the same problem - although the zoom lens fit more situations, I encountered some it did not, and I couldn’t ‘fix’ the problem by going out and purchasing a different lens. This is not a “rebuttal” - the inflexibility of having any lens permanently attached to the camera body is my primary reason for not considering the camera, as I have stated on several occasions. Some people seem the resulting package to be a good deal, but I do not. My physical toolkit includes both fixed and adjustable wrenches, but they are inexpensive. There is no place in my camera kit for such an expensive specialized camera.
Great, you've said it, you have no use for this sort of camera.
Now you can bow out of the thread with your head held high and let the people who have a use for a camera such as this have a positive discussion about it.

10-07-2021, 05:33 PM - 2 Likes   #140
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can directly control all three legs of the ‘exposure triangle’ without removing the KP from my eye, so I have little need/use for the menu system, regardless of how ‘intuitive’ it is or isn’t; I believe the K-1 has something similar; I hope the K-3iii does also, but I’m not sure about the GR.
Given that the GR has no viewfinder, I guess you could say you have to remove it from your eye to do even anything with it.
10-08-2021, 01:02 AM - 3 Likes   #141
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Couldn't this be a last sentence before giving it a rest. To be truely honest, I am not so much interested in a single persons repeated POV in a thread about something he will not get, as he said over and over again. On many levels obviously.
10-08-2021, 02:01 AM - 1 Like   #142
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Couldn't this be a last sentence before giving it a rest. To be truely honest, I am not so much interested in a single persons repeated POV in a thread about something he will not get, as he said over and over again. On many levels obviously.
And on many subjects on many threads.

10-08-2021, 02:04 AM   #143
Pentaxian

A gentle reminder that the ignore function is useful. I'm only seeing half of this discussion.
10-08-2021, 02:15 AM   #144
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
A gentle reminder that the ignore function is useful. I'm only seeing half of this discussion.
Me too but still annoying IMO
10-08-2021, 06:27 AM - 2 Likes   #145
Pentaxian

Original Poster
B&H is featuring the GR IIIx with some available accessories
The Ricoh GR IIIx: The Same GR Magic with a New 40mm Lens | B&H Explora
10-08-2021, 08:31 AM   #146
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
B&H is featuring the GR IIIx with some available accessories
Interestingly, there is a new case GC-12 for the GRiiIX, I believe this because it is slightly thicker with the new lens (per the earlier review vids) and yet the GRiii GC-11 case is listed in the B&H blurb.

I'd be interested to know that the GC-11 case is compatible as it's been around a while and cheaper to obtain.
10-08-2021, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #147
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I love my GR II and its 28mm focal length - personally, I agree with the photojournalists who think 28mm to 35mm is wide enough for lots of context. But this thing is a nod to those who favour the 35mm to 50mm lengths for impromptu/candid/street shooting.

Very hard to describe to non-owners just how good it is to use - the ergonomics and hardware to mean you can operate and shoot completely one handed, and silently! The retractable lens has the disadvantage in that it is not dustproof, but it genuinely fits into a jeans pocket. You can have it with you all the time if you like.
I agree with you Clackers.

I also have the GR ll. When it came to the fixed 28mm F 2.8 lens, I rationalized to myself, before I bought it. My rationalization goes something like this. If guys like Cartier-Bresson and Eisenstadt got by a lot, using just 50mm normals or 35mm moderate wide angles...a fixed, sort of fast 28 should work out fine. It does, even though I've been somewhat spoiled by zooms...the fixed lens, gives me exercise...as I take over the function of the zoom by walking forward or back...as the situation dictates.

I might be a bit off kilter, by suggesting that my GR ll is a great replacement for my ancient (1951) Leica 11f with it's even older Elmar 50 collapsible...but I do find it is.

As far as dust goes, from the beginning, I attached a GH-3 Adaptor to the body, topped it off with a B+W filter, and then use an old Asahi Pentax, 49mm metal cap from the '60's to keep it covered when not in use. Won't fit into my shirt pocket, but does in a small Vanguard camera pouch, which has a belt loop. So far...touch wood, etc. ...no dust as of yet, in the past 2.5 years. I might be just lucky. I dunno.
10-17-2021, 04:28 PM   #148

The GR line is a little expensive, but I would be more than willing to invest in it if the adapters and conversion lenses had backwards compatibility with the whole line of GR cameras. Is that not feasible, and am I being naive?
10-20-2021, 01:34 PM   #149
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
When it came to the fixed 28mm F 2.8 lens, I rationalized to myself, before I bought it.
My rationale was (and would be) that it's about the same view as my iPhone 8+ had (I believe later iPhones have 4:3 as a default, so that might be different). This worked rather well. But it depends on location (in my case).
10-20-2021, 04:23 PM   #150
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by larryaustin3 Quote
The GR line is a little expensive, but I would be more than willing to invest in it if the adapters and conversion lenses had backwards compatibility with the whole line of GR cameras. Is that not feasible, and am I being naive?
Perhaps. I mean, the GR line over the years included 35mm film.