Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2009, 08:16 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
To say honest - K200D has better end picture than K20D. Weaker AA filter.
Better colours. Very good resolution in RAW.
It's the main important thing which tip the scale to the favor of K200D.

K200D has the best image quality between all Pentax's cameras.
It's only camera without new firmware.
Ha, ha, you're joking right?
The K20D image quality beats the K200D hands down in my book.
All the time.

01-22-2009, 09:20 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
To say honest - K200D has better end picture than K20D. Weaker AA filter.
Better colours. Very good resolution in RAW.
It's the main important thing which tip the scale to the favor of K200D.

K200D has the best image quality between all Pentax's cameras.
It's only camera without new firmware.
Have you extensively tried the K20D to say that ?

I have K20D and K10D (quality supposed to be close from K200D) and I can say that the K20D beats the K10D in every aspect. And I do portrait, landscape and streetshooting. The only situation I can't comment on is studio shooting (I barely use flash) but Benjikan posted a lot to say how better is the K20D as compared to the K10D for his fashion work.

Regards,
Guillaume
01-22-2009, 09:48 AM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
Have you extensively tried the K20D to say that ?

I have K20D and K10D (quality supposed to be close from K200D) and I can say that the K20D beats the K10D in every aspect. And I do portrait, landscape and streetshooting. The only situation I can't comment on is studio shooting (I barely use flash) but Benjikan posted a lot to say how better is the K20D as compared to the K10D for his fashion work.

Regards,
Guillaume
I wouldn't go as far to say the k200d has better picture quality than the k20d. However, I do think the K200d is a better camera than a lot of people give it credit for and I do shoot with both. As far as comparing the k10D to k200d, I don't think the K200d is a repackaged k10d at all. The do share the CCD but it appears that Pentax did a decent job on the firm ware compared to the k20d and K-M, OR they just are not going to update it.
01-22-2009, 09:57 AM   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
33% more pixels
better pixel density
CMOS sensor (better)
Higher ISO
better viewfinder (pentaprism versus pentamirror)
Live view (debatable)
rechargeable battery instead of AA's (a personal choice thing, but my preference at least)

Besides, you can get the K20D for what, 600 something nowadays?

Jason
This sums it up. I think the CMOS is better and the viewfinder is worth the $200 in my opinion. The extra mp are good when croping macros. However, I do like the K200d as well. I like its size and the AA batteries are an advantage if you take into account the K20d battery is available on a limited basis and could be abandoned with future. But thin what is the life span of dSLR anyway . . . certainly not that of a K2.

01-22-2009, 10:24 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
This sums it up. I think the CMOS is better and the viewfinder is worth the $200 in my opinion. The extra mp are good when croping macros. However, I do like the K200d as well. I like its size and the AA batteries are an advantage if you take into account the K20d battery is available on a limited basis and could be abandoned with future. But thin what is the life span of dSLR anyway . . . certainly not that of a K2.
What gives you the idea that the battery for the K20D is scarce or limited? Are you predicting the next generation of Pentax cameras to run solely on AA's? I wouldn't bet on it.

Jas
01-22-2009, 10:42 AM   #36
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
What gives you the idea that the battery for the K20D is scarce or limited? Are you predicting the next generation of Pentax cameras to run solely on AA's? I wouldn't bet on it.

Jas
Where did I say the next generation of Pentax cameras would run on AAs? I said they may not use the current Li-50/NP400 battery that the K10d or K20 takes. In other words, I expect a power source change but have no speculation as to what it will be. There places you can't go into a store and get a new one, they have to be ordered. I had to order my K20d spares because non of the local stores in Tallahassee had them.

I was also jokingly comparing the K20d being around 10+ years from now wit the K2 as an example of longevity one the used marked.

However, they may keep the AAs around for a while as well in part because AA are constantly being improved. Besides, 2 out of the last 3 bodies use the AA. However, I reiterate, I expect the K30d or latter top Pentax body to use something besides the old Np400 knockoff which isn't the same as saying it will be AAs.
01-22-2009, 03:14 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K200D Quote
Really? I actually never understood why people would choose the K20D over the K200D. What exactly are you getting for the few hundred dollars more?

Digital Cameras Side-by-Side, 2 cameras: Digital Photography Review
Better sensor (ability to print larger and crop more aggressively)
Actual controls on the body instead of in menus
Significantly better viewfinder

Those alone are worth hundreds of $ to me. Those 3 factors allow me to shoot better pictures more quickly and with less effort. Game over.
01-22-2009, 04:26 PM   #38
Forum Member

Is this not indicative of Pentax starting to free up the production lines for the 300 so they can have stock ready quickly after launch at PMA? It's what they did last year from memory with the K10.