Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 114 Likes Search this Thread
10-10-2021, 09:41 AM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
That's thoroughly unfair. The Pentax is both a SLR lens, and full-frame; and it doesn't rely on software corrections.

f/2.4 is better than what I decided I'd be comfortable with (f/2.8), and in line with OoKU's comment.
The price is not outrageous, I think it might be lower than 1200 euro around here.
Availability in November. A bit late, but given the circumstances...
So far, no real reason of complaining.
Well, to me the question is simple : having both FA*24/2 and A20/2.8, both of them using 67mm filter shreads, i don't see much interest for this new and overly "limited" lens (in aperture) having a bigger filter shread "for nothing" at least on a landscaping point of view.

10-10-2021, 09:45 AM - 2 Likes   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Well, to me the question is simple : having both FA*24/2 and A20/2.8, both of them using 67mm filter shreads, i don't see much interest for this new and overly "limited" lens (in aperture) having a bigger filter shread "for nothing" at least on a landscaping point of view.
Even from a landscape POV, this is quite premature thinking IMO.
10-10-2021, 10:13 AM   #48
Pentaxian

If you expected a ff ~20mm limited lens to be faster than f2 you were quite confused to begin with. But then you talk about landscaping and my confusion increases further.

It's very likely that the dfa performs much better than those vintage lenses in practically every way. Its fine being happy with those though.

Edit
Scrolled back to see you're talking apsc and I'm further confused. Yes Pentax should have faster apsc primes but thats completely irrelevant for this topic?
10-10-2021, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

Try as I might, I'm not seeing any sense in what you are saying.

10-10-2021, 01:17 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This might not be a lens for you.

That said, the FA *24 has its weaknesses and it is possible that while this is a half stop slower, it could be a better performing lens with regard to chromatic aberrations, flare, and sharpness at similar apertures. If you are satisfied with the FA *24, then that settles it, but this lens is a little wider and (hopefully) brings some things to the table that the FA * doesn't.
10-10-2021, 01:39 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Don't care. I'm buying one.
#metoo
10-10-2021, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #52
Pentaxian

Oh one great unknown is how it will handle highlights. I really hope they've continued the trend of suppressing sunstars as much as possible. Reviewers have started going on about sun stars as a pro when it's a huge con I'm begging Pentax not to listen to that stuff.

10-10-2021, 10:28 PM   #53
Pentaxian

New rumor from Digicam : ????info
10-10-2021, 11:04 PM - 1 Like   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
New rumor from Digicam : ????info
They cite Pentax Rumors, who in turn cite Amazon Japan.
10-10-2021, 11:52 PM - 1 Like   #55
Pentaxian

"Not for me so not for anyone"
Having neither the FA* nor the A, I'm very interested in this lens. And I don't get why people start bashing a lens they have no intention of buying... f/2.4 for a 21mm modern lens just a bit larger than a FA 31mm is quite reasonable.

And - are you sure the D FA Limited has a bigger filter thread? Because Amazon seems to think it has precisely a 67mm thread.
10-11-2021, 12:50 AM   #56
Pentaxian

Not so fast. 21mm isn't the same as 24mm, the shorter the FL the high the change of FoV for 1mm change of FL. Check FoV variation as a function of focal length.
10-11-2021, 01:06 AM   #57
Pentaxian

I'm very interested in that lens. Possible buyer here.
10-11-2021, 03:02 AM - 6 Likes   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's pretty easy to say "I'm not interested" until people start posting amazing images with a lens and then the will power starts to go...
10-11-2021, 03:31 AM - 1 Like   #59
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It's pretty easy to say "I'm not interested" until people start posting amazing images with a lens and then the will power starts to go...
That is why saving the pennies at this stage is so essential
10-11-2021, 06:47 AM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I own the DFA 15-30, so this lens isn't as wide and only a half stop faster than what I already own. But the 15-30 is a chunk. It is 1040 grams and so I have to think a lot about whether I really want to lug it around when I go out.

For a long time I have said that I wanted a DA 15 limited equivalent for APS-C. Something moderately wide, flare resistant and more compact than the 15-30. This looks like it will fit the bill pretty well. I don't own any other 20-ish mm lens for my K-1, so I'm not in the position that some other shooters are in, trying to figure out if this is actually any better than their Samyang 24, or FA 20, or whatever prime they have in this ball park.