Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2021, 05:26 PM - 2 Likes   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The bokeh in those sample images is to die for.
It does look unusually good for a wideangle lens, most of which are atrocious at producing good bokeh.

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
What I await is an astrophotography image @ f/2.4. That will show just how sharp they made the corners and whether the lens will do nicely for Milky Way images.
11 elements in 8 groups optical design with a GMo aspheric and extensive use of ED glass I'd say this lens will be very well corrected.

10-14-2021, 07:55 PM   #107
Pentaxian

Ah, sweet torture. Been waiting a while for this one but it's a little out of reach for me. Hopefully it comes down in price eventually.
10-14-2021, 08:04 PM   #108
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Still waiting for the official USA release announcement and price. 2 days and counting.
10-14-2021, 08:15 PM   #109
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Still waiting for the official USA release announcement and price. 2 days and counting.
Australia too.

---------- Post added 15-10-21 at 02:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
Ah, sweet torture. Been waiting a while for this one but it's a little out of reach for me. Hopefully it comes down in price eventually.
15%-off sales expected before Christmas here. That's when I'll buy.

10-14-2021, 11:31 PM   #110
Pentaxian

HD PENTAX-D FA 21mmF2.4ED Limited DC WR
on pre-order €1499
10-14-2021, 11:53 PM - 1 Like   #111

Looks promising, filling a gap in the lineup and playing the strength of the position of the FF cameras (landscape).

Just a little sad to see that now the last bastion of nostalgic backwards compatible lens line has switched to KAF4 mount and therefore cannot be enjoyed on all our older Pentax cameras.
On the other hand this makes the old FA Limited line more attractive for people who still use older Pentax bodies besides the new one and like to share their lenses between those.
10-15-2021, 12:16 AM   #112
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
11 elements in 8 groups optical design with a GMo aspheric and extensive use of ED glass I'd say this lens will be very well corrected.
I'm skeptical of associating the use of some superlative glass elements with superior image properties. Some Pentax (OEM) lenses that have none of these super glass perform better than some Sigma and Tamron that claim use of a lot of ED and SLD glass. I prefer to look at the image results.
Where are full size images taken with that lens, I've only seen small size images, it's difficult to judge about the quality.

10-15-2021, 12:46 AM   #113
Pentaxian

@biz-engineer

HD PENTAX-D FA 21mmF2.4ED Limited DC WR / Limited / Wide-Angle Lenses / K-mount Lenses / Products | RICOH IMAGING

Sample images are clickable.
10-15-2021, 12:51 AM   #114
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I'm skeptical of associating the use of some superlative glass elements with superior image properties. Some Pentax (OEM) lenses that have none of these super glass perform better than some Sigma and Tamron that claim use of a lot of ED and SLD glass. I prefer to look at the image results.
Where are full size images taken with that lens, I've only seen small size images, it's difficult to judge about the quality.
I've linked to full size images in this thread. Have a look here HD PENTAX-D FA 21mmF2.4ED Limited DC WR / Limited / Wide-Angle Lenses / K-mount Lenses / Products | RICOH IMAGING scroll down and open upp full size images with the magnification icon. Or just click the following.

https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/lens/k/wide/hdpentax-dfa-21/img/ex-pic02.jpg
https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/lens/k/wide/hdpentax-dfa-21/img/ex-pic03.jpg
https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/lens/k/wide/hdpentax-dfa-21/img/ex-pic01.jpg
https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/lens/k/wide/hdpentax-dfa-21/img/ex-pic04.jpg
https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/lens/k/wide/hdpentax-dfa-21/img/ex-pic05.jpg
https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/lens/k/wide/hdpentax-dfa-21/img/ex-pic06.jpg
https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/lens/k/wide/hdpentax-dfa-21/img/ex-pic07.jpg

You're right that you can do very well without exotic glass. To reach current high end levels however it's pretty obvious it's required. Even more so with a "compact" wide angle.
10-15-2021, 01:00 AM   #115
Pentaxian

Look homogeneous edge to edge (corners can't be checked on these samples), and a little soft wide open. Actually , it a pretty sexy walk-around and travel lens. Ricoh knows how to seduce customers.
10-15-2021, 01:13 AM   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Look homogeneous edge to edge (corners can't be checked on these samples), and a little soft wide open. Actually , it a pretty sexy walk-around and travel lens. Ricoh knows how to seduce customers.
If you haven't, check the development diary (it's been linked throughout in the thread but just in case I'm leaving it here again), it's a lovely write-up. They explicitly call out some softness wide-open as being desirable - it is the compromise for the delicious rendering, I guess.

However it clears up when closing down about a stop; the crop at f/4 is razor sharp, and I'd be none the wiser if you'd told me it's taken with a macro lens . The lens looks just so enticing to me.

Development Story | PENTAX Limited Lens Special site | PENTAX Limited Lens | RICOH IMAGING
10-15-2021, 01:47 AM   #117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Difficult to say with any certainty until we have the lens in hand, yes there are different grades of ED glass in used lens design. The SMCP-FA31mm f/1.8 uses ED and HRLD as well as a GMo Aspheric, and the FA31 performs very well on the K-1. Considering the qualities evident in the image samples posted so far things look promising.

Though I do see some transverse chromatic aberration present in that image in what I take to be a metal lathe control wheel. Also there is no mention of any in-camera optical corrections were used in the sample images posted.

Last edited by Digitalis; 10-15-2021 at 02:29 AM.
10-15-2021, 02:36 AM - 1 Like   #118
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Also there is no mention of any in-camera optical corrections were used in the sample images posted.
The low res cityscape samples from the japanse camerastore was perfectly rectilinear. I also wondered about in camera corrections because it looked perfect and that's unheard of at 21mm. I searched for chromatic aberrations in the shiny metal thing in the official sample but hardly found any.

again for reference:

Last edited by house; 10-15-2021 at 05:09 AM.
10-15-2021, 03:56 AM   #119
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Actually it does seem to be amazing! not too much of compromises made, and that price does also give a nod to that direction.
10-15-2021, 03:59 AM   #120
Pentaxian

According to the EXIF data from the official samples, these pictures were taken between 11 June and 7 July 2021 and are straight out-of-camera jpegs. Oddly enough, the K-1 Mark II used to take them had an outdated firmware: version 1.05, dating back to June 2020, the current version being 1.21.
Closed Thread