Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2021, 07:28 PM - 7 Likes   #16
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There's a "Special Site" page about this now.
D FA Limited | PENTAX Limited Lens Special Site | RICOH IMAGING

Also two pages of photographer reports with some samples.
Kazuyuki Okajima HD PENTAX-D FA 21mmF2.4ED Limited DC WR Impression | PENTAX Limited Lens Special Site | RICOH IMAGING
Keita Sasaki HD PENTAX-D FA 21mmF2.4ED Limited DC WR Impression | PENTAX Limited Lens Special Site | RICOH IMAGING

And a message from the developers about the lens concept.
https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/limited_lens/interview/

10-13-2021, 07:32 PM   #17
Veteran Member

That Electro Magnetic Diaphragm
10-13-2021, 07:41 PM - 1 Like   #18
JPT
Pentaxian

Here is some information and a few samples from Yaotomi Camera (in Japanese)
????????HD PENTAX-D FA 21mm F2.4 ED Limited DC WR - ??????????by????????
10-13-2021, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'm a bit confused by Ricoh's recent product launch strategy. With the GR IIIx we saw an official announcement in Japan and Europe, followed by the US announcement about a week later, along with asynchronous pre-order availability.

Now we have this lens, supposedly available for sale in Japan and now also Europe, but no press release or official announcement anywhere. Am I missing something?
Here is the release information on the Japanese Ricoh website HD PENTAX-D FA 21mmF2.4ED Limited DC WR / Limited / Wide-Angle Lenses / K-mount Lenses / Products | RICOH IMAGING
But you mean you did not get any press release sent by e-mail, right?

10-13-2021, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Very nice bokeh indeed, and excellent wide open, at which many of the sample shots are taken. Fairly strong vignetting though, but easily correctable if it's not what you want. I like the close focus distance.

This has been the lens I've been waiting for for several years, and I am impressed. I will definitely buy it in the next few months. No trace on the Pentax Australia web site yet though.
10-13-2021, 08:56 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

" D FA Limited - A new Limited series, inheriting the tradition of FA Limited and that continues to evolve into the future"

New series

Future

Not bad
10-13-2021, 10:46 PM - 3 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
This looks INCREDIBLE!

The bokeh in those sample images is to die for.

Out with the credit card Sandy

10-13-2021, 11:27 PM - 1 Like   #23
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Here is the release information on the Japanese Ricoh website HD PENTAX-D FA 21mmF2.4ED Limited DC WR / Limited / Wide-Angle Lenses / K-mount Lenses / Products | RICOH IMAGING
But you mean you did not get any press release sent by e-mail, right?
Thanks! That's a really nice page, but it's not a press release/announcement. As far as I can tell, the Japanese homepage doesn't have this lens listed under the news category, nor is there a press release on any of the regional sites.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-13-2021, 11:49 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Very nice bokeh indeed, and excellent wide open, at which many of the sample shots are taken. Fairly strong vignetting though, but easily correctable if it's not what you want. I like the close focus distance.
Concerning the vignetting: note that the Sasaki samples are taken using the Reversal Film setting which tends to emphasize vignetting.
10-13-2021, 11:55 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
Very interesting video, it definetly does look quite well corrected, compared to other limiteds! Even wideo open, no fringing and vingetting is not much, as well as it does look sharp and contrasty. Very nice!
10-14-2021, 12:11 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Thanks! That's a really nice page, but it's not a press release/announcement. As far as I can tell, the Japanese homepage doesn't have this lens listed under the news category, nor is there a press release on any of the regional sites.
Hmm...
HD PENTAX-D FA 21mm F2.4ED Limited DC WR :An ultra-wide-angle single-focus lens for use with PENTAX K-mount full-frame digital SLR cameras?RICOH IMAGING
K???????????????????????????HD PENTAX-D FA 21??F2.4ED Limited DC WR??????RICOH IMAGING
10-14-2021, 12:12 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful lens. Little sense for APSC owner with WR DC already there for our format (20-40) and 20mm also in DA Ltd form, but still nice that FA Limiteds got their wide brother. I am not a target audience for this lens, but if someone is - just give your money to Pentax so they can design more lenses for us :P
10-14-2021, 12:17 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Consistent with the limited lens concept unique to Pentax: small , with specific design tradeoffs. Looks like the lens is not fully sharp wide open (according to special site) but optimized for bokeh (wide open) and sharpness stopped down to f4 and beyond. I haven't found any mtf chart, like provided for all other new D-FA lenses, it will come later, maybe. Price tag of 1500 in Europe isn't cheap, I wished Ricoh would even out prices for final customers like us in EU, I see no reason why we should pay more than anywhere else in the world with similar income levels , doesn't make sense to me.
10-14-2021, 12:18 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

Not gonna lie, 1500 EUR for a lens that's soft focus wide open, I can already imagine the hate on DPR...
10-14-2021, 12:24 AM - 3 Likes   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
So the hood is permanent, outside the filter rings... might make polarizers interesting... might be OK...
If you look carefully you'll see that the filter will sit so that to can get to it from the "sides". The hood is so shallow.

The image samples look very good indeed. They focus so much on the bokeh/close focus thing that there aren't any full size infinity/stopped down sampes yet though? The yatomi site suggests that it could be a ★ at infinity so that's one data point in the right direction! (subject to google translate doing a good enough job...)

I've said many times on this site that changing performance depending on aperture is fine with a limited lens. They seem to have taken that notion and run with it, fed it crack and turned it up to eleven

Last edited by house; 10-14-2021 at 12:31 AM.
Closed Thread