Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2021, 12:19 PM   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
How to attach a lens square filter kit (100mm, 130mm or 150mm) if the lens hood is fixed? Does it create a vignette
I figure it will be similar to that of the DFA 15-30 which has a specific holder.

10-14-2021, 12:33 PM   #92
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There we go! I wonder if they remembered after reading this thread

English version:
HD PENTAX-D FA 21mm F2.4ED Limited DC WR :An ultra-wide-angle single-focus lens for use with PENTAX K-mount full-frame digital SLR cameras?RICOH IMAGING

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-14-2021, 12:37 PM   #93
Pentaxian

The front element seems to move ever so slightly when focussing. You can see it in the video below at around 5:20.

https://youtu.be/QMtzpqkp2xs?t=320

That video is the best so far at giving an impression of the size and handling. Unsurprisingly it looks like they nailed it. Not large but not so small the optical compromises are to much. The video is a bit underexposed so do icrease gamma (if your viewer permits) or max out screen brightness in a dark room.

Last edited by house; 10-14-2021 at 12:53 PM.
10-14-2021, 01:15 PM - 2 Likes   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ooof. I feel every word of this.

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Yeah for me the price is troubling as well. I like my gear to be working tools, at certain point price becomes a hindrance to using it freely and irresponsibly the way tools should be used. The extraordinary luxuriousness of the build and design makes it a bit awkward as well. My self image makes it very difficult to face up to the reality of being a middle aged man with money to spend on toys and jewellery. Ie the person I've despised for much of my life

10-14-2021, 01:58 PM   #95
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Let's just hope that they don't make themselves as irrelevant as the Contax became at the end.
Are you really thinking the 21LTD is going to sink the company?
10-14-2021, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anybody else catch this bit?

"This unit also features an eight-blade diaphragm mechanism to capture beautiful light beams in nightscape photography."

My big knock on the HD DA 15mm Limited was that the bokeh-ball mania of the 2010s led Pentax to round the aperture blades and soften the lovely starbursts of the green-ring 15mm and 21mm. But is the FA 21mm Limited trying to deliver rounded bokeh at ƒ/2.4 and spiked starbursts at ƒ/11? That would make it a delightful lens for FF.

10-14-2021, 02:00 PM - 2 Likes   #97
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
HD Pentax-D FA 105mm f/2.5 Limited DC WR.
I'd like to see something between the 21 and 31, maybe a 25mm or 26mm. I suspect a 24mm would be a * lens.
And yes, a 105 would be glorious. I really like short to medium telephotos.

---------- Post added Oct 14th, 2021 at 03:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
...and make it a Macro.
No need. The 100/2.8 macro slots in there really nicely. It doesn't have LTD cosmetics, but that's irrelevent.

---------- Post added Oct 14th, 2021 at 03:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by vector Quote
Maybe a DFA Limited 50mm f1.7. About the size and weight of the FA77 and 2/3 the price of the DFA*.
You already have the 43LTD filling that slot, and the FA50/1.4 for a lower end 50. I could see revamping the FA50/1.4 to give it better wide open performance, maybe dropping maximum aperture to 1.8 or so to make it less of a choice between it and the DFA* lens.

10-14-2021, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #98
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I'd like to see something between the 21 and 31, maybe a 25mm or 26mm. I suspect a 24mm would be a * lens.
And yes, a 105 would be glorious. I really like short to medium telephotos.
The DA 70mm Limited is a perfectly adequate portrait lens for APS-C (I find it delightful for concert/comedy show photography.) The FA Limited line could use a comparable 105mm.

Only somewhat related, my old Pentax-M 120mm ƒ/2.8 would be a dreamboat Limited, if they could update it with AF without bulking it up. The built-in hood, 49mm filter, metal heft, reasonable speed, compact size…it feels like a Limited.
10-14-2021, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #99
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
You already have the 43LTD filling that slot, and the FA50/1.4 for a lower end 50. I could see revamping the FA50/1.4 to give it better wide open performance, maybe dropping maximum aperture to 1.8 or so to make it less of a choice between it and the DFA* lens.
Yeah I don't see the 43 as a direct 50mm replacement and I think the FA50 should go, and the DA50 isn't quite FF. So yeah you basically just disagreed but then proposed the same thing I did A new design 50mm F1.7/1.8 and leave the DFA* as the F1.4. At least we are on the same page
10-14-2021, 02:24 PM - 4 Likes   #100

This thread is about the D-FA 21 2,4 Limited, isn't it? (Why do these threads always turn into something else?)
Anyway, I have already ordered one. In silver.
10-14-2021, 02:31 PM   #101
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PocketPixels Quote
Only somewhat related, my old Pentax-M 120mm ƒ/2.8 would be a dreamboat Limited, if they could update it with AF without bulking it up. The built-in hood, 49mm filter, metal heft, reasonable speed, compact size…it feels like a Limited.
I have the exact same lens, and I agree with you full hearted. The 120 is perhaps my favourite lens, perfect for taking candid shots of my kids without interfering with their actions. I imagine adding a focus motor would bulk it up somewhat, but not too much I'd hope.
10-14-2021, 02:35 PM   #102
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bosse Quote
This thread is about the D-FA 21 2,4 Limited, isn't it? (Why do these threads always turn into something else?)
Anyway, I have already ordered one. In silver.
Yeah, but part of the announcement of the new 21 is a new DFA Limited lineup, so of course we are going to hypothesize about what might be next. Now that the 21 announcement is out, we know all the specs and can see the sample pictures so the only unknowns are launch price in markets other than Europe or Japan and whether or not the lens is soft wide open (some seem to thinks so), and of course whether or not each of us will buy one. Worrying about unknowns is what we humans seem to be best at so we wander to the next set of unknowns.

I am personally on the fence with this one. I really want it, but the price is enough that facts start to weigh in, such as I rarely shoot wide. So is it worth it for me? Don't know yet.
10-14-2021, 02:37 PM   #103
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Web shops tend to show related items so that you can replace lost bits. It seems the cap and case are included in the box. For EUR1500 one would hope so.
Yeah, I've queried it with Ricoh-Imaging.eu - can't have a Limited without a lens cap or bag!
10-14-2021, 02:44 PM - 2 Likes   #104
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah I don't see the 43 as a direct 50mm replacement and I think the FA50 should go, and the DA50 isn't quite FF. So yeah you basically just disagreed but then proposed the same thing I did A new design 50mm F1.7/1.8 and leave the DFA* as the F1.4. At least we are on the same page
Sorry, I missed the part in your post where you mentioned the 43......
Of course what we are proposing is that Pentax gets deeper into the 50mm business rather than fill what really are holes in the line.
Here's a thought: Drop the DA50/1.8 and the FA50/1.4 and re-release the FA50/1.7 updated for the modern world.
10-14-2021, 04:08 PM   #105
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, but part of the announcement of the new 21 is a new DFA Limited lineup, so of course we are going to hypothesize about what might be next. Now that the 21 announcement is out, we know all the specs and can see the sample pictures so the only unknowns are launch price in markets other than Europe or Japan and whether or not the lens is soft wide open (some seem to thinks so), and of course whether or not each of us will buy one. Worrying about unknowns is what we humans seem to be best at so we wander to the next set of unknowns.

I am personally on the fence with this one. I really want it, but the price is enough that facts start to weigh in, such as I rarely shoot wide. So is it worth it for me? Don't know yet.
That's where I am. I bet it's going to be a swell lens, but I think I would get tired pretty quickly of taking close ups of stuff with rapidly receding backgrounds.
Closed Thread