Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2021, 03:01 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looks like photographer's shooting artillery from short range to long range been laid out on the table.

10-17-2021, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Unfortunately, that is only for vehicles, if it is a "law" at all. Might be more of an urban legend that anything.
I don't know if the rule is seven years, or if California is indeed the driving force, but the general idea is certainly more than an urban legend.

Apple, for example, periodically publishes its list of 'obsolete' devices that are no longer supported with repairs.

Though at some point, small electronics seem to switch from 'repair' to 'replace'...

-Eric
10-17-2021, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Unfortunately, that is only for vehicles, if it is a "law" at all. Might be more of an urban legend that anything.
It's for far more than vehicles, and it's an urban legend codified in Calfornia state law:

(a) Every manufacturer making an express warranty with respect to an electronic or appliance product described in subdivision (h), (i), (j), or (k) of Section 9801 of the Business and Professions Code, with a wholesale price to the retailer of not less than fifty dollars ($50) and not more than ninety-nine dollars and ninety-nine cents ($99.99), shall make available to service and repair facilities sufficient service literature and functional parts to effect the repair of a product for at least three years after the date a product model or type was manufactured, regardless of whether the three-year period exceeds the warranty period for the product.

(b) Every manufacturer making an express warranty with respect to an electronic or appliance product described in subdivision (h), (i), (j), or (k) of Section 9801 of the Business and Professions Code, with a wholesale price to the retailer of one hundred dollars ($100) or more, shall make available to service and repair facilities sufficient service literature and functional parts to effect the repair of a product for at least seven years after the date a product model or type was manufactured, regardless of whether the seven-year period exceeds the warranty period for the product

update: sorry; I know proper etiquette is to post a URL for citations, but the particular php format used by the California Legislature causes all kinds of problems for the HTML parser. Please paste "Song-Beverly Warranty Act" into your search engine of choice, and you'll quickly find the source of what I posted above.

Last edited by PocketPixels; 10-17-2021 at 11:40 AM.
10-17-2021, 11:56 AM - 2 Likes   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

not the most ambitious update imaginable...

10-17-2021, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pukipuki Quote
I'm surprised and a bit worried they did not put the DA 50-135 refresh on the roadmap yet.
That lens is far less controversial than the DA*16-50 was, prior to the new one being released. The only thing that warrants a change is the slow, and occasionally failing, old SDM mechanism. Optically, it was never seriously or widely criticised, unlike the original 16-50.
10-17-2021, 12:41 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
That lens is far less controversial than the DA*16-50 was, prior to the new one being released. The only thing that warrants a change is the slow, and occasionally failing, old SDM mechanism. Optically, it was never seriously or widely criticised, unlike the original 16-50.
Even better, optically, it is a real gem.
A slow AF gem, but a gem.
10-17-2021, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Agreed. I can understand how owners of those lenses with failed motors might feel very different, but my 50–135 has no problems other than a slightly wobbly lens hood, and I see no reason to mess with success here. My copy is fast, sharp, responsive, and perfect. Unless Pentax were able to redo it to shave 100g off the weight—highly unlikely—I don't think any improvement would entice me to upgrade my existing 50–135.

Again, can't say it enough, I know I'm lucky to have dodged both the SDM failure defect and the aperture-solenoid defect, and I completely understand how people who have sluggish or dead SDM motors might be itching for a refresh (or for justice, generally).

10-17-2021, 07:57 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wonder how DA*200 stacks up against A* 135/1.8. There is a bit of a gap there in that range prime wise, and I just didn't think about DA* 200 as a roughly a 135 lens full frame. Interesting.
10-18-2021, 12:23 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PocketPixels Quote
Agreed. I can understand how owners of those lenses with failed motors might feel very different, but my 50–135 has no problems other than a slightly wobbly lens hood, and I see no reason to mess with success here. My copy is fast, sharp, responsive, and perfect. Unless Pentax were able to redo it to shave 100g off the weight—highly unlikely—I don't think any improvement would entice me to upgrade my existing 50–135.

Again, can't say it enough, I know I'm lucky to have dodged both the SDM failure defect and the aperture-solenoid defect, and I completely understand how people who have sluggish or dead SDM motors might be itching for a refresh (or for justice, generally).
I do have the old one myself, never an SDM issue.

It is definitely not an optical gem at 2.8 And at 50mm 2.8 the glow makes it unusable. Both IQ and AF could be noticeably improved. Not super practical and for the price of excessive weight, unfortunately But that is the trend already. Completing the holy-trinity overhaul to go with k3iii - makes total sense.
10-19-2021, 07:47 AM   #40
Pentaxian

It's a bit sad there's nothing else new on the horizon. Even just an updated version of the FA 50mm in the same way as the FA 35mm, change coatings to HD and update the cosmetics, would be a very simple but welcome change.
10-19-2021, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PocketPixels Quote
It's for far more than vehicles, and it's an urban legend codified in Calfornia state law:

(a) Every manufacturer making an express warranty with respect to an electronic or appliance product described in subdivision (h), (i), (j), or (k) of Section 9801 of the Business and Professions Code, with a wholesale price to the retailer of not less than fifty dollars ($50) and not more than ninety-nine dollars and ninety-nine cents ($99.99), shall make available to service and repair facilities sufficient service literature and functional parts to effect the repair of a product for at least three years after the date a product model or type was manufactured, regardless of whether the three-year period exceeds the warranty period for the product.

(b) Every manufacturer making an express warranty with respect to an electronic or appliance product described in subdivision (h), (i), (j), or (k) of Section 9801 of the Business and Professions Code, with a wholesale price to the retailer of one hundred dollars ($100) or more, shall make available to service and repair facilities sufficient service literature and functional parts to effect the repair of a product for at least seven years after the date a product model or type was manufactured, regardless of whether the seven-year period exceeds the warranty period for the product

update: sorry; I know proper etiquette is to post a URL for citations, but the particular php format used by the California Legislature causes all kinds of problems for the HTML parser. Please paste "Song-Beverly Warranty Act" into your search engine of choice, and you'll quickly find the source of what I posted above.
Thanks for this. I don't need a citation, I believe you.

Some follow-up questions come to mind, but I'll hold off lest this thread careen off-course.
10-19-2021, 09:48 AM   #42

Nikon discontinued some of their most usable lenses for the F-system. The super zoom 28-300mm 3.5-5.6G VR, the 105mm 2.8G VR and the 80-400mm 4.5-5.6G VR, which I think means Pentax will soon be the only DSLR brand.

And it’s phenomenal to see Pentax introducing 3 FA lenses in 2021 and the near feature.
10-19-2021, 11:43 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
It's a bit sad there's nothing else new on the horizon. Even just an updated version of the FA 50mm in the same way as the FA 35mm, change coatings to HD and update the cosmetics, would be a very simple but welcome change.
This exactly the kind of release which would NEVER appear on a roadmap. The HD FA35 didn't either.
10-19-2021, 12:21 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
This exactly the kind of release which would NEVER appear on a roadmap. The HD FA35 didn't either.
My guess is that they will do the FA35 treatment to the FA50 when/if they run out of stock. It makes sense keeping it as a budget nifty fifty. I suspectthat they won't do any more smc's.
10-19-2021, 12:54 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
My guess is that they will do the FA35 treatment to the FA50 when/if they run out of stock. It makes sense keeping it as a budget nifty fifty. I suspectthat they won't do any more smc's.
Yeah, it might reappear as a reduced-price HD FA 50/1.4. Or... Depending on the inventory of the DA 50/1.8, they might bring back the old 50/1.7 formula and use it for both formats, with the DA* 55/1.4 and DFA* 50/1.4 as the two "increasingly premium" options.

They probably changed all their equipment and/or chemicals as soon as HD coatings became standard. No point in bringing back SMC.