Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 98 Likes Search this Thread
10-26-2021, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Monster Adapter Magic Ring Pentax K Lens to Sony E-Mount Camera Adapter

Monster Adapter KA-KE1 Magic Ring Pentax K Lens to Sony E-Mount Camera Adapter is now on preorder at B&H for $439. Estimate available beginning of December.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1627137-REG/monster_adapter_la_ke1_pe...981&

10-26-2021, 03:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice to know. But given the price I'll wait for some reviews.
10-26-2021, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/Ba6zfOsa5TMJjYKhlBnPLQ
10-26-2021, 05:52 PM - 9 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Pure Google Translate poetry.
QuoteQuote:
Today, 50 years later, the warlords are divided. The gastroscopy factory and the battery factory were the first to ignite a spark, and the Dafa factory blew the horn of revolution. Toothpaste factories, Nike factories, and even cola factories all set their poles, and things changed for a while. As a result, Metabones, FotodioX, LA-EA, MC11, Tiangong, Pinggongfang, Weizhuo EF-NEX, Kalai, etc., a batch of AF adapter rings have sprung up and broke the ground. It seems that each family has returned to that beauty. Of the age.

However, they all seem to have forgotten that the overlord of that beautiful age-Pentax-is a manufacturer full of crafts but with little sense of existence today.

10-26-2021, 06:00 PM   #5
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for posting the link. Looks very promising, especially when they update the firmware to support DC and PLM motor focusing. The switch to enable screw drive focus on older dual mode sdm lenses is an unexpected benefit
10-26-2021, 06:11 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The price is really expensive....
I am just worried about it spoiling at this price.

The good side is that it does seem that all my FA* lenses will be usable with AF (with eye/face tracking as well as more accurate CDAF at large apertures; A very BIG bonus )

I think I will just get it once its available locally/regionally
10-26-2021, 09:04 PM   #7

Well, the reviews will be telling. Then I’ll fret about the price...

10-26-2021, 10:58 PM   #8
Pentaxian

$439 would be a fair price if it worked with most lenses, but the list of compatible lenses is small considering the Pentax current plus discontinued lens catalog.

Screw drive lenses have to be added by the manufacturer one at a time. They claim they'll offer firmware updates for more lenses after you buy the adapter.
No SDM/DC support.
Mostly primes. The only compatible zoom is FA* 80-200.
Tamron and Sigma k-mount lenses reportedly won't work.
10-28-2021, 01:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hope to see new FF Pentax model soon, so I won't be tempted by this adapter.
10-28-2021, 02:44 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd like to post a link to the discussion history about the LA-KE1 Adapter:
Update for the Pentax-Sony E LA-KE1 adapter - PentaxForums.com
10-29-2021, 05:29 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I still hope to be able to get one for review!
11-06-2021, 04:08 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Availability is getting closer:
QuoteOriginally posted by MonsterAdapter:
About Pentax Adapter LA-KE1

After solving the production issue, we have already started shipping to overseas distributors. The supply is relatively limited, and you will be able to receive the item from our dealers in the near future.

Our next focus is on production and the development of firmware v02. LA-KE1 will be listed on our official online store after all dealers' orders are fulfilled. Users who do not have a distributor coverage area can purchase from our official website later.
Source: MonsterAdapter - Publications | Facebook

SDM and DC lenses will soon be supported:
QuoteOriginally posted by MonsterAdapter:
About firmware updates

(...)

LA-KE1 v02
The current progress is 90%, which will include DC/SDM drivers, and the total number of supported lenses will reach 50. In this version of the firmware, the last lens that needs to be coded will be HD PENTAX-D FA 21mmF2.4ED Limited DC WR. At the same time, the technical issues affecting LA-FE1 also exist here, and we are dealing with them expeditiously.
Source: MonsterAdapter - Publications | Facebook

Last edited by Mistral75; 11-06-2021 at 04:19 AM.
11-06-2021, 04:48 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

I was somewhat tempted to buy the adapter with a standing offer from a shooting buddy to buy an a7III body for a bargain price. But looking at some 3/4 year later reviews it appears to be a no more and perhaps less capable camera than what I already have.

I'm still curious, but not THAT curious after watching a couple of them.

I'll just read reviews on the adapter with your good Pentax glass from you guys who already have Sony's. Live vicariously for a change

Last edited by gatorguy; 11-06-2021 at 05:04 AM.
11-08-2021, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
The good side is that it does seem that all my FA* lenses will be usable with AF (with eye/face tracking as well as more accurate CDAF at large apertures; A very BIG bonus )
Even better, there's at least one of the Power Zooms on the supported list, which hopefully means the Sony VG900E body I normally use my KA 35mm F2 on, could drive my FA* 28-70 2.8 as if it's an ENG or Cinema lens, zooming and focusing like it's an integrated camcorder lens

The real hope will be, that Monster will do one of these for M4/3rds, specifically Blackmagic Designs new Studio cameras. If that happens, expect the FA* zooms to double in price overnight, as they're the fastest power zooms anywhere, and more then capable of resolving 4K video on M4/3, APSc or FF sensor.

---------- Post added 09-11-21 at 01:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Walkingwolf Quote
Well, the reviews will be telling. Then I’ll fret about the price...
There's already been reviews on Youtube for the last 6 months or so. There were some early issues with electronics compatibility, potential to brick cameras or lenses,... If the firmware inside has been well sorted, someone will try our lenses on FS-7, FS-5, FX-9 etc etc.
Might be just the kick to the pants to let people know how good Pentax glass is for video when properly controlled.
And the stills, over on A-7's and A-9's, while they won't have access to the Pentax Colour Science, the images will be something special. Been there, done that, Pentax glass on Sony body shooting Raw, is a good thing.

---------- Post added 09-11-21 at 01:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I was somewhat tempted to buy the adapter with a standing offer from a shooting buddy to buy an a7III body for a bargain price. But looking at some 3/4 year later reviews it appears to be a no more and perhaps less capable camera than what I already have.
A7iii is at least as good as the K-3ii, but with the FF depth of field.
11-08-2021, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
The Sony A7III Review // 3 Years Later - YouTube

I'm still curious, but not THAT curious after watching a couple of them.

I'll just read reviews on the adapter with your good Pentax glass from you guys who already have Sony's. Live vicariously for a change
I have had a A7 since launch mostly for manual lenses.
With the potential coming of this adapter, I got a used A7iii and since its was supposed to have better AF, I got some cheap Samyang AF lenses for it (the 45/1.8 and 75/1.8).
I have to say that the AF is impressive and far ahead of what Pentax has (K1, K3, dunno about K3ii, though I doubt its better )
Face and eye detection is fast and accurate and so is tracking for moving shots.
The Samyang 45 and 75 (sounds familiar don't they.. ) offer amazing quality for the price, rivaling the FA ltd (that I have).

I am in some ways shaken, that things have advanced quite a bit over the years since K3, K1, not only for MILC camera AF, but also for lenses (price/performance/AF)
Start to ask myself if I even need the AF adapter at $4xx when I can top up a bit more for Samyang 18/45/75mm set and be done with it.
Of course I have many other Pentax AF lenses and the adapter can still be justified, but a cheap Samyang set does get the job done too if I don't want think too much about all this.