Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2021, 06:27 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dgcom Quote
Do you have any links to side-by-side reviews? I'd like to read if available. I have three original limited lenses and corresponding Samyang lenses, they are relatively close in quality, with some differences of course. However you can't compare their AF performance because - very different due to system differences.
Side-by-side, no. I hope to have the opportunity to test/review the Samyang lenses eventuyally. I have seen results from each, however, and have not observed the same signature in the Samyang lenses that I (and others) see with the Limited. It doesn't show in all situations, at F8 most lenses are fine, of course. You can make good images with almost any lens.

11-22-2021, 08:53 AM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Side-by-side, no. I hope to have the opportunity to test/review the Samyang lenses eventually. I have seen results from each, however, and have not observed the same signature in the Samyang lenses that I (and others) see with the Limited. It doesn't show in all situations, at F8 most lenses are fine, of course. You can make good images with almost any lens.
Please, publish the results if you ever do side-by-side. I don't see a point spending time myself on this - I just enjoy taking pictures. I agree these lenses are not identical, however quality-wise and "character" Samyang lenses are about the same level and each can have their own pros and cons - just based on my personal, unscientific experience
11-22-2021, 09:30 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For me I don’t see the need for this device. All of my Pentax DSLRs are more feature rich, have equal or better IQ, better battery life, lack of “Sony motion sickness”, and greater button familiarity.

The Sony A7II only offers lighter weight and the ability to use all my multitude of RF, Canon FD, and Canon f0.95 Dream lens.

I don’t see the reason for using Pentax lenses on Sony cameras.

I already have the simpler Pronto device. It allows the the use of almost any non native lens for focusing only.
11-22-2021, 10:09 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
For me I don’t see the need for this device. All of my Pentax DSLRs are more feature rich, have equal or better IQ, better battery life, lack of “Sony motion sickness”, and greater button familiarity.

The Sony A7II only offers lighter weight and the ability to use all my multitude of RF, Canon FD, and Canon f0.95 Dream lens.

I already have the simpler Pronto device. It allows the the use of almost any non native lens for focusing only.
Lucky guy – you have a Pentax camera (or several) but not everybody does!

11-22-2021, 11:43 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
Non AF K-mounts are very inexpensive. SMC Taks are worth more on the used market than those K-mounts, so from that perspective it makes sense to buy K-mounts if you don’t have a Pentax DSLR. There is almost no market for used Pentax gear.

I just sold a bunch of lenses and cameras to a KEH buyer (at wholesale) and spoke to him a bit. I was very disappointed. Only $7 for my unused boxed, pristine 18-55mm, $160 for mint 28-105mm, $28 for my perfect K20D. I could go on and on.
11-22-2021, 12:47 PM   #36
Pentaxian

I see some need, for people who love Pentax but also use another system. For my part, I got a Sony A7C because it's ludicrously small and lets me carry a smaller kit when hiking or traveling, but that doesn'T mean I stopped liking Pentax.

Because they're excellent and because some already own them?
11-22-2021, 12:57 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I see some need, for people who love Pentax but also use another system. For my part, I got a Sony A7C because it's ludicrously small and lets me carry a smaller kit when hiking or traveling, but that doesn'T mean I stopped liking Pentax.

Because they're excellent and because some already own them?
What is the difference in size between the A7C and the A7II?

I never said anything about anyone not liking Pentax. You are here, aren't you?

11-22-2021, 01:40 PM - 2 Likes   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

EXIF data will be nice to have and my APSC gear is Pentax based but due to reasons explained elsewhere my Sony A7RIII is my full frame gear. Having a device like this with full focusing and tracking is an amazing upgrade over the techart/fotodiox which function by moving the entire lens and are limited in the size and range and speed.

I’ll also note that I’ve used OVF and EVF for many years starting with some m43 systems and none have ever given me motion sickness. Lag, reduced dynamic range, user error, and “just not quite the same feelings” have certainly been an issue with EVF’s. The A7rii and A7riii have been much better, with the iii the best of the two. OVF’s have not proven as useful for me for manual focus lenses due to the focusing screen limitations imposed by modern AF systems.

Now as to why I want this:

1) Sony has No 200mm autofocus FF prime. My DA* 200 should help me there since I’m no fan of the heavy 70-200 f2.8 GM alternative.

2) ditto 300mm prime. My FA* 300 f4.5 will be nearly a stop faster than the Sony 70-300 f4.5-5.6 I own.

3) The DA* 55 f1.4 is a fine lens and by all accounts works well on full frame (with minimal extra vignetting) and makes a good alternative to the Sony offerings in this range.

4) I want to showcase the SMC FA31 and 77 using a Sony to quell some people who misunderstand lenses and think everything older than the latest thing is garbage. My FE 85 f1.8 is a very good lens but I expect the FA77 to also be good. My FE 28 f2 is good but inexpensive and likely will be embarrassed by the FA31. Then again my use may just be a perverse clinging to an old friend. Plus I really like 31mm on FF. It looks right.

5) the DA* 60-250 f4 and the Sony 70-300 I have will duke it out. I rather like my DA* it’s faster at every focal length. It may be an easy win for the Pentax. My Sony is the A Mount version btw. So both lenses will be adapted and both are older but good lenses that may suffer a little due to the adaptation.

6) A few more primes… DA 40 Ltd, DA 70 Ltd, DFA 100, the list is large.

ASSUMING it works it will allow me to use both Pentax APSC and Sony FF using a lot of overlapping lenses. This reduces the duplication and waste of having both.

That said… I’m struggling to understand the timing of sdm and other lenses being added to the known compatible list. At present only a small fraction of of my desired lenses are tested and listed as verified working. I have confidence this will change but I don’t know when.

---------- Post added 11-22-21 at 03:54 PM ----------

I’m sure one question is why not just use the K-1.

The main answer is - I already own the Sony because my dad got it for me and then got interested in having his own. So now I have the A7riii and he has the A7rii. He has the 24-70 F4 Sony/Zeiss and a Tamron 70-300 f4-5.6 A Mount with an LA-EA3. I have the A7RIII and an FE 24-105 f4 G and a 28-70 f3.5-5.6 (purchased when the 24-105 was supposedly a loaner before my dad traded for it) the FE 85 f1.8, the FE 28 f2 & a wide angle converter making it a 21mm f2.8. He just gave me a 70-300 Sony SAL70300g f4.5-5.6 and an LA-EA3 of my own.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 11-22-2021 at 01:48 PM.
11-22-2021, 02:30 PM   #39
Pentaxian

If I understand it right, this adapter is just an easier migration path away from Pentax.
It doesn't really offer fast AF with Pentax lenses, so it's not an "action with Pentax lenses" solution.
11-22-2021, 05:10 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
If I understand it right, this adapter is just an easier migration path away from Pentax.
It doesn't really offer fast AF with Pentax lenses, so it's not an "action with Pentax lenses" solution.
I agree. I am surprised that Sony didn't come up with this.
11-22-2021, 10:09 PM   #41

Maybe, maybe not... Pentax catches many people for life, which should mean they can't enjoy other system... And then, if they do, this adapter let them use what they have already... Maybe buy more - if something good is available - Sony prices are usually in another league
11-22-2021, 10:37 PM - 1 Like   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The speed of focus I’ve seen in the promotional videos is pretty good. But I haven’t seen this in person working yet.

Personally I’d suggest it isn’t about migration, it’s about nuts like me who have too many brands and want to play with cross compatibility for mostly fun and experimentation.
11-22-2021, 11:07 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

+1

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The speed of focus I’ve seen in the promotional videos is pretty good. But I haven’t seen this in person working yet.

Personally I’d suggest it isn’t about migration, it’s about nuts like me who have too many brands and want to play with cross compatibility for mostly fun and experimentation.
absolutely agree.....
11-23-2021, 01:18 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
Well that is a choice, isn't it? Surely anyone that can afford a Sony Ax could have afforded a Pentax DSLR instead
11-23-2021, 03:35 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote

Yes, having more toys to play with can be great fun
It's even greater when the formats are different: I liked switching between 6x6, 6x7, 6x9... Unfortunately I don't have all these cameras with me now I'm temporarily abroad.