Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 98 Likes Search this Thread
11-23-2021, 05:44 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
Yes, having more toys to play with can be great fun
It's even greater when the formats are different: I liked switching between 6x6, 6x7, 6x9... Unfortunately I don't have all these cameras with me now I'm temporarily abroad.
I enjoy multiple aspect ratios as well. I never got into medium format however. The Fuji rangefinders in medium format have fascinated me but I’m done with film so the fascination is at a distance. Lol.

11-23-2021, 06:44 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
What is the difference in size between the A7C and the A7II?
Camerasize.com will let you compare visually. For me the interest was that it's much smaller than the K-1.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
If I understand it right, this adapter is just an easier migration path away from Pentax.
It doesn't really offer fast AF with Pentax lenses, so it's not an "action with Pentax lenses" solution.
I don't see it as a migration away from. If anything, it will drive up the price of used AF Pentax lenses.

I agree. I am surprised that Sony didn't come up with this.
Sony is interested in selling lenses (like everyone else). Bodies are just a means for that.

I'm stretching of course, bodies also turn up a profit. But you'll buy a body every several years, but a lens every year, maybe?

I doubt this adapter will drive anyone away from purchasing Pentax bodies, but it might have some people buy Pentax lenses. So it might actually be good, all things considered, for Pentax. I doubt it will have any measurable negative effect for the company.
11-23-2021, 07:09 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I don't see it as a migration away from. If anything, it will drive up the price of used AF Pentax lenses.
I'm not sure how it would work... we selling our Pentax lenses at higher prices to finance moving to Sony?

What matters is the new products we buy.
11-23-2021, 07:27 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That’s a misunderstanding of the ecosystem. A healthy secondary market makes new lens buying easier and sells people on the system more easily.

I buy nearly every lens used. I can count on one hand the number of new lenses across multiple brands. But my buying them frees up cash for their former owners to buy new.

11-23-2021, 08:53 AM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That’s a misunderstanding of the ecosystem. A healthy secondary market makes new lens buying easier and sells people on the system more easily.

I buy nearly every lens used. I can count on one hand the number of new lenses across multiple brands. But my buying them frees up cash for their former owners to buy new.
But in the end, what matters is buying new products - in my opinion. That's why we can talk about an active system (and not - say - Samsung NX) and Pentax' continuing on the market.

This adapter... I don't see it selling new Pentax lenses; particularly not the newer, modern, expensive ones (which don't even work with the current firmware). I'm not sure it would help selling even second hand Pentax lenses except for bargains - which would make it a cheaper way to use Sony.

And if people are thinking they'd be getting all the Sony advantages but that won't actually happen, you'd get worse results than on a new generation Pentax DSLR (presumably), yet you'd better put your money into Sony because you already started on that road... to quote Admiral Ackbar: "it's a trap!"

P.S. Just to be clear, I'm not criticizing people's choice to use or not adapters, to mix brands, to buy second hand etc. Whatever you choose it's fine (as if I had any saying in it...)
11-23-2021, 11:04 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax lenses not worth much

I just sold eight lenses, seven are autofocus K-mount to a KEH buyer. All were in almost new condition with original boxes.

The KEH person told me that the Pentax mount lenses were not worth much. He added that if they another brand they would be worth more. He said that in front of a gentleman who a large suitcase full of Canon gear.

The lenses were:
Sigma 24-135 FF
Sigma 10-20 variable fstop apsc
Pentax 28-105 FF
Pentax 18-55 apsc
Pentax 50-200 apsc
Phoenix 100 3.5 macro with matching multiplier (reports in exit as Pentax F lens)
Tamron 17-50 2.8 apsc

Three of them did not clear $20. Three of them did not clear $130. One did not clear $160.

We do not buy Pentax mount equipment with the expectation of breaking even or enduring small losses like Canon & Nikon people. The features that Pentax provides and that we want allow us to suffer the loss.
11-23-2021, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #52
Pentaxian

I just sold eight lenses, seven are autofocus K-mount to a KEH buyer. All were in almost new condition with original boxes.

The KEH person told me that the Pentax mount lenses were not worth much. He added that if they another brand they would be worth more. He said that in front of a gentleman who a large suitcase full of Canon gear.

The lenses were:
Sigma 24-135 FF
Pentax 28-105 FF
Pentax 18-55 apsc
Pentax 50-200 apsc
Phoenix 100 3.5 macro with matching multiplier (reports in exit as Pentax F lens)
Tamron 17-50 2.8 apsc

Three of them did not clear $20. Three of them did not clear $130. One did not clear $160.

We do not buy Pentax mount equipment with the expectation of breaking even or enduring small losses like Canon & Nikon people. The features that Pentax provides and that we want allow us to suffer the loss.

You bought the wrong lenses. If you compare sold items on ebay, 85mm f/1.8 pre-AF lenses from Pentax tend to fetch twice as much as their Nikon counterparts.

11-23-2021, 06:46 PM   #53
Pentaxian

For $160 I would have taken the Pentax 28-105 FF of your hands...
11-23-2021, 09:41 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote

You bought the wrong lenses. If you compare sold items on ebay, 85mm f/1.8 pre-AF lenses from Pentax tend to fetch twice as much as their Nikon counterparts.
My Tak 85 1.8. I am never selling. I have no idea of its resale value.

The KEH guy said the SMC Taks do very well. Luckily I have every single FL except the 15mm and 120mm.
11-23-2021, 11:29 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
really hate using sony, but I have so much K glass, this could be useful.
11-24-2021, 12:39 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
For $160 I would have taken the Pentax 28-105 FF of your hands...
Indeed, I recently bought one 2nd hand for €240 and that was the best deal I have seen in months of hunting.
The KEH person told me that the Pentax mount lenses were not worth much.
Sorry to say, but you probably would have gotten much better prices selling them here on the marketplace. However, that means losing the convenience of selling them all at once and at a fixed price...
11-24-2021, 05:53 AM   #57
Pentaxian

My Tak 85 1.8. I am never selling. I have no idea of its resale value.

The KEH guy said the SMC Taks do very well. Luckily I have every single FL except the 15mm and 120mm.
Then I should have said, you sold the wrong lenses… But I sympathise with your decision to keep the right ones!
11-24-2021, 06:10 AM   #58
Pentaxian

I'm not sure how it would work... we selling our Pentax lenses at higher prices to finance moving to Sony?
No, I meant some Sony users could be interested in buying inexpensive AF glass from Petax. F35-70 comes to mind, lenses such as these. There are no truly inexpensive options in the Sony lineup.

My point is that, in general terms, the adapter opens up the number of potential buyers for used Pentax glass (which would appear on the market anyway).

I understand what you mena, and in general you're right.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That's also true, and not opposite to the comment above. A thriving market, first or second hand, is best.
11-24-2021, 06:40 AM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The lenses were:
Sigma 24-135 FF
Pentax 28-105 FF
Pentax 18-55 apsc
Pentax 50-200 apsc
Tamron 17-50 2.8 apsc

That is KEH's business model. Pay less than half what you expect to sell it for. And which 28-105? There were 3 FA models before the D FA...
11-24-2021, 07:34 AM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
No, I meant some Sony users could be interested in buying inexpensive AF glass from Petax. F35-70 comes to mind, lenses such as these. There are no truly inexpensive options in the Sony lineup.

My point is that, in general terms, the adapter opens up the number of potential buyers for used Pentax glass (which would appear on the market anyway).
Precisely. This adapter helps Sony users (which might be Pentax users - and Pentax buyers - too, but that's not necessarily true).
And it doesn't seems to help Pentax at all.

And even in an indirect way, we're not sure it helps people offload older lenses to buy new Pentax ones, or to buy new Sony ones