Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2021, 04:15 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I quite liked the recent Pentax decisions. Way to slow with the lenses and only expensive ones but they had a certain rigour to the products and made tough choices. I hope that attitude stays.
Drastic camera / lens changes are unlikely to happen, if the future is like the past. What could happen is that all product boxes are rebranded with Pentax, removing Ricoh. After the purchase of Pentax by Ricoh, they changed the color of ring on the DA ltd lenses and the DA 16-85. But in recent years they changed the colors of lens rings from red to green, and remove the Ricoh logo on the K3, back to Pentax originals.

---------- Post added 28-10-21 at 13:23 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Stop being an Eeyore.
I don't watch cartons anymore, too old for that. But I still believe in Santa Klaus, so I wonder if a change of CEO would be the right time to ask for a price drop on the D-FA 21 ltd.

10-28-2021, 07:23 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Isn't the usual thing for new leadership to change things around and set new directions?
10-28-2021, 07:45 AM - 3 Likes   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."

But will we all get fooled again?
10-28-2021, 07:51 AM - 3 Likes   #34
Closed Account

If he was favorable toward Pentax in the past, then I think we have nothing to worry about...

10-28-2021, 08:21 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
If he was favorable toward Pentax in the past, then I think we have nothing to worry about...
Well he could be favourable towards K-S1 era Pentax... 8)
10-28-2021, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

K-S1 is quite a good camera with interesting ergonomics, my daughter still uses the one i offered her 6 years ago.

Btw, we are still waiting for Theta / SLR image fusion functionnality...
10-28-2021, 03:11 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
(...)

Btw, we are still waiting for Theta / SLR image fusion functionnality...
I'm afraid it won't be released: the two product lines are quite separated now. Following the recent restructuring Theta belongs to Other \ SmartVision and Pentax, together with Healthcare and Environment, belongs to Other \ Other.

Source: https://www.ricoh.com/-/Media/Ricoh/Sites/com/IR/data/pre/pdf/r03q1_1.pdf

10-29-2021, 12:33 AM - 2 Likes   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My take is that this is just the next step in moving the brand forwards. Ricoh would look pretty silly if, having trumpeted their ethos and direction, they then went and flogged it off. They have committed Pentax to a niche, a potentially prestigious one. The next step is to maximise the potential. I think revival is the right word after the long, pre K3iii dormant spell, and if it all goes horribly wrong there is enough Pentax out there to keep me going
10-29-2021, 03:31 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I'm afraid it won't be released: the two product lines are quite separated now. Following the recent restructuring Theta belongs to Other \ SmartVision and Pentax, together with Healthcare and Environment, belongs to Other \ Other.

Source: https://www.ricoh.com/-/Media/Ricoh/Sites/com/IR/data/pre/pdf/r03q1_1.pdf
While I can comprehend the logic in many of those changes, the separation of the 360° cameras from the (other) digital cameras does seem odd. It implies a separation of design, development and production facilities, rather than a sharing of resources. On the other hand, industrial optics was separate in both structures, so maybe there’s always been an element of matrix structure involved here (as distinct from strict top-down line management).
10-29-2021, 05:17 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Yes, i imagine some "shared" expertise structure, that is working for both companies and is attached to one.
10-29-2021, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
separation of the 360° cameras from the (other) digital cameras does seem odd.
I thought it was a marketing ‘thing’.
10-29-2021, 06:50 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Those types of activitities can mean two opposing things:

a) someone really creates a new positive push with long term perspective
or
b) some dresses up the bride for marrying a new partner (selling it off)

The one thing this kind of rules out is shutting it down.

Let's hope for a). That will depend on the funds he is given.

I think, all recent products were great, all product decisions were very much in line what the market asked for (in Pentax DSLR world), so zero to complain here. They couldn't have done better.

The one thing that has limited everything is the glacial un-speed, which to me seemed like Pentax is only allowed to invest into new product production based on current earnings - once the previous products have made enough money.
While economically understandable, that emans slowly starving things.
We have to accept the more and more digital world with short product lifecycles.
Well, it could be that they're going to throw all the resources ($$$) at it that they're willing to and if that doesn't get a good boost then get rid of it.

There are far too many possible interpretations to really speculate on which one, if any, might be the case.
10-29-2021, 07:47 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
My take is that this is just the next step in moving the brand forwards. Ricoh would look pretty silly if, having trumpeted their ethos and direction, they then went and flogged it off. They have committed Pentax to a niche, a potentially prestigious one. The next step is to maximise the potential. I think revival is the right word after the long, pre K3iii dormant spell
I agree. There is a move in a certain direction, and it takes a few years to pan out. The commitment is there - they will certainly evaluate the success or failure, but not in the short term.
10-29-2021, 02:41 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I thought it was a marketing ‘thing’.
Corporate structure isn’t devised by the marketing department. It would be particularly odd, if so, and not very Japanese (unlike Alphabet/Google or Meta/Facebook).

I assume the industrial optics division output is branded as ‘Ricoh’ or ‘Pentax’, and not something else.
10-29-2021, 05:06 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Tom Matano (I think that was his name) who designed the original MX-5 worked for a time, if I remember correctly, at Ford’s Geelong plant, back when Ford owned a controlling stake in Mazda. I’m sure someone with a better memory than mine will correct me, if I’m wrong.
You piqued my interest so I went down the Google rabbit hole. Turns out Mr. Matano doesn't have FoMoCo on his CV, and Ford didn't up its stake in Mazda from 24% to 33% until 1996 (the MX-5/Miata debuted in 1989), but I worked for FoMoCo in 1984 and many Mazda parts did find their way into various Ford products, even in North America.

Last edited by RGlasel; 10-29-2021 at 05:13 PM. Reason: confused Jacques Nasser with Carlos Ghosn.
Closed Thread