Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 453 Likes Search this Thread
10-29-2021, 06:13 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Now, since we’re discussing how differently Japanese companies think (well, their employees and probably board members, anyway) another car story illustrates the way they’re seen: Japanese design engineers have dream cars as their screen savers, while Korean ones have pretty girls.
I knew that Jacques Nasser started with Ford Australia as a financial analyst in 1968 and in my personal opinion his brief tenure as Ford Global CEO can be summarized as an example of the bad things that happen when bean counters start messing with a successful manufacturer's DNA. Jacques Nasser reminded me of another well-known CEO with Lebanese ancestry, Carlos Ghosn, who left Michelin for Renault in 1996 and became CEO of Nissan in 2001. When we apply Western management templates to Japanese corporations, we should remember the lasting impression Mr. Ghosn has left in the Land of the Rising Sun.

10-29-2021, 06:50 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
New CEO is coming, so Pentax will release their own full frame mirrorless, right?
Given that the outgoing CEO stated recently that Pentax will never go mirrorless, I think your assertion is entirely plausible.
I would think a collaboration with Panasonic could work.

Last edited by BROO; 10-29-2021 at 06:58 PM.
10-29-2021, 07:37 PM - 1 Like   #48
Pentaxian

L-mount ?
10-29-2021, 08:34 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
L-mount ?
I would think so.

10-29-2021, 11:08 PM - 1 Like   #50
Pentaxian

Well, i wouldn't mind that much providing they bring up the right L/K converter (compatible K-af2)
10-29-2021, 11:31 PM - 4 Likes   #51
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The new CEO was in charge of Ricoh Imaging from 2013-2016. Reportedly, during this time the company was working on concepts for full frame mirrorless systems but decided against that. Of course, it's only based on rumors from the time.

However, what we can say for sure is that he was the one who approved the K-1 and the company's move into full frame DSLRs. He must still feel ownership over that decision unless he has had a complete change of mind on the matter.

So I don't think it is logical to suggest that merely this change of leadership is an indication of changing direction. If anything, the idea of "Pentax Revival" sounds like he might feel not enough effort has been made in developing and promoting Pentax lines.

If Ricoh Imaging does decide to make an L-mount camera, I think it would sit better under the Ricoh brand anyway. It would be more of a "Ricoh Expansion", than a "Pentax Revival" plan.
10-29-2021, 11:58 PM - 1 Like   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The logic that I am using is that the outgoing CEO stated categorically that Pentax would never go mirrorless. Therefore the removal of that CEO opens up the possibility that they can.

I think it would be hard to do a revival if they persist with OVF only.
I believe that to be a flawed strategy that shows no ambition.

10-30-2021, 12:16 AM   #53
Pentaxian

I guess a true strategic move for Pentax - if the brand is to be perpetuated - would nevertheless result in the brand continuation, whatever that means for K-mount, and even if that doesn't comply with original statements made in 2011.
Pentax-K could be "completed" or even "replaced" by Pentax-L, the more if a good adapter is issued.
10-30-2021, 12:53 AM - 7 Likes   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Pentax-K could be "completed" or even "replaced" by Pentax-L, the more if a good adapter is issued.
Completed, no way. Terminated. Killed. Destroyed.
People are constantly militating for the removal of our only DSLR choice. I find it extremely weird. It's like saying "sliced bread should replace baguettes, as they're measurably better". And "don't worry, you can adapt baguettes by slicing them".

Do I have to explain how weird it would be for Pentax to backpedal from "Pentax believes in the future of the SLR photography"? How much effort was put into that, and now they're supposed to simply say "oops, we're mistaken, mirrorless is the future"?

And there's a completely silly assumption that mirrorless by itself would solve Pentax' problem. It's not like Samsung and Olympus gave up.
Going mirrorless might work in the long term. Going mirrorless might even be the only viable option for the long term; only time will prove if it's true or not.
But in the short and intermediate term, things would only be difficult - the huge expenses of starting a product line from scratch, competing on a much fiercer market without having an USP (so it's down to price and features), loss of goodwill associated with the strategy change from "Pentax believes in the future of the SLR photography", loss of existing users who would stop buying, K-mount future becoming uncertain...

OTOH there's life in the DSLR concept. It can evolve. It can get about every of the MILCs' advantages, except for the short register distance. It can get computational photography and over 100fps and taking pictures from before you press the shutter release. That's why I think it could be a long-term solution... if there's commitment.
I would like if Pentax revival would be more about that, than cloning some Panasonic L-mount camera.

Last edited by Kunzite; 10-30-2021 at 01:02 AM.
10-30-2021, 12:56 AM - 5 Likes   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
I think it would be hard to do a revival if they persist with OVF only.
I believe that to be a flawed strategy that shows no ambition.
Weird thinking. Look at the D FA* 85mm f/1.4 - an amazing lens, designed twice to be not merely very good, but truly excellent. Look at the DA* 16-50 PLM and the D FA 21 Limited. Can you say they're unambitious?
IMHO the revival is happening right now.
10-30-2021, 02:32 AM - 4 Likes   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Well, it could be that they're going to throw all the resources ($$$) at it that they're willing to and if that doesn't get a good boost then get rid of it.

There are far too many possible interpretations to really speculate on which one, if any, might be the case.
I don't think that they could sell the brand if they put a bunch of money into it and it isn't successful.

I do find it odd that this thread has turned into "He's coming back to bring mirrorless to the table." Mirrorless would be a disaster for Pentax. They aren't a tech heavy company, they don't have high end video on their cameras, they aren't bringing out large numbers of new lenses out on a yearly basis. The idea that they jump into a new mount (let's say L mount) and try to cobble together a couple of cameras and a line up of glass sounds terrible. And what would their niche be then that isn't already covered by Olympus, Panasonic, Nikon, Canon, Sony, Leica, or Fuji?

Last edited by Rondec; 10-30-2021 at 03:03 AM.
10-30-2021, 02:45 AM - 1 Like   #57
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
And what would their niche be then that isn't already covered by Olympus, Panasonic, Nikon, Canon, Sony, Leica, or Fuji?
They could go for low specced but expensive, a niche they now have experience from 😃
10-30-2021, 03:02 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
They could go for low specced but expensive, a niche they now have experience from 😃
Why would anyone buy that? Currently, they are the only brand that seems committed to SLR design. If you like optical viewfinders, you might choose Pentax, even though MILC specs are higher end. Release the K-3 III with an EVF and it is an 800-ish dollar camera. Anyway, I think you were trying to be funny, but I do think Pentax in an OVF niche has better options to sell than they would trying to launch out into MILC territory.
10-30-2021, 03:42 AM - 1 Like   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
The new CEO was in charge of Ricoh Imaging from 2013-2016. Reportedly, during this time the company was working on concepts for full frame mirrorless systems but decided against that. Of course, it's only based on rumors from the time.
It looks like the Pentax K3 III hosts a mirrorless inside it, the top dial still / live-view / video gives a hint of a change in Pentax design philosophy. At some point, the Pentax DSLR may just need to remove the mirror box to become a MILC. I see no problem of having a K mount MILC.

---------- Post added 30-10-21 at 12:45 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Jacques Nasser reminded me of another well-known CEO with Lebanese ancestry, Carlos Ghosn, who left Michelin for Renault in 1996 and became CEO of Nissan in 2001. When we apply Western management templates to Japanese corporations, we should remember the lasting impression Mr. Ghosn has left in the Land of the Rising Sun.
Ghosn was removed. Japanese way of changing things is the Kaizen.

---------- Post added 30-10-21 at 12:45 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Jacques Nasser reminded me of another well-known CEO with Lebanese ancestry, Carlos Ghosn, who left Michelin for Renault in 1996 and became CEO of Nissan in 2001. When we apply Western management templates to Japanese corporations, we should remember the lasting impression Mr. Ghosn has left in the Land of the Rising Sun.
Ghosn was removed. Japanese way of changing things is the Kaizen, continuous improvement, no radical moves.
10-30-2021, 04:07 AM - 3 Likes   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
It looks like the Pentax K3 III hosts a mirrorless inside it, the top dial still / live-view / video gives a hint of a change in Pentax design philosophy. At some point, the Pentax DSLR may just need to remove the mirror box to become a MILC. I see no problem of having a K mount MILC.[COLOR="Silver"].

Huh????
Pentax have recently clearly stated their philosophy and commitment to the DSLR and K-mount. There's no reason to expect a total change of plan after six months, unless Ricoh is governed by a bunch of incompetents. A new director and a Pentax revitalization team means that they will put this idea into action and that Pentax is getting more resources to makes this happen.
They are now about to release a high-end lens whose expected life-span is at least about 20 years. No indication that they are about to quit or switch to mirrorless.
Those who want mirrorless cameras should choose a brand committed to the type of camera, and not a brand who says they won't make one and who is committed to the DSLR....
Closed Thread