Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 86 Likes Search this Thread
11-04-2021, 06:45 PM - 5 Likes   #1

Upcoming Pentax Meeting Online 27/11/2021 Japan

Hi all,

Just found out Pentax will hold a meeting on 27 Nov 2021 in Japan for their 102 yrs anniversary. You can watch it online (via zoom ?) on that day. I can read a bit Japanese (actually can use google translate), according to the them, they will talk about the new firmware of K-3 iii (new features) and the new products of Pentax (hope they will talk about K-1 mark III).

Here is the link

PENTAX ?????? ????? 2021 | RICOH IMAGING

11-04-2021, 08:48 PM - 1 Like   #2
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

New features in firmware for the K3iii is something to look forward to. Could we finally see in-camera focus stacking or sensor tilt?
11-04-2021, 09:12 PM - 4 Likes   #3
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So, it's a two and a half hour online event. The included content is explained as the following.

- A discussion with the developers of the DFA 21mm Ltd.
- Further evolution of the K-3 III, including firmware updates and "other"
- Future Pentax products
- Q&A based on questions submitted by attendees on the application form
- Some kind of closing video

They express some regret that this can't be an in-person event. In the past they have done this kind of event at their locations in Japan. Instead they still have to do this online because of the pandemic situation. It's actually not that bad at all in Tokyo now, but at the time they were planning this, online probably seemed safer.

So I don't think this is intended for international audiences, and I don't expect a lot of English language support. They also mention that they are looking forward to welcoming people from "around the country", which makes me think you might need a Japanese address to attend.

Even if it is not easy or possible to attend from outside Japan, I expect we will see some information on the website released at the same time.

11-04-2021, 09:16 PM - 5 Likes   #4
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If nothing else this sets up a good three weeks of conjecture here on the forum

Last edited by mlt; 11-04-2021 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Typo
11-04-2021, 11:42 PM   #5

Are they going to expand K-3 III capabilities via firmware upgrade? If so it seems their strategy was to release it being 'as good as it is' and then work on the features. Also, this approach indicates that the body is far more capable (has future-proof tech) of what it represents now.
11-04-2021, 11:57 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by x4rd Quote
Are they going to expand K-3 III capabilities via firmware upgrade? If so it seems their strategy was to release it being 'as good as it is' and then work on the features. Also, this approach indicates that the body is far more capable (has future-proof tech) of what it represents now.
I have K-3III and I have been using it quite a bit. I have had this feeling for a long time that by all specs and how it functions, it is not in full steam yet. So much looking forward to this. That said, it is very capable camera already..

---------- Post added 11-05-21 at 09:02 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
New features in firmware for the K3iii is something to look forward to. Could we finally see in-camera focus stacking or sensor tilt?
Focus stacking plausible, but why and how should there be sensor tilting? In which way? Sorry, had to ask.

There might be other things waiting. In performance point of view. IMO they are not yet taking full advantage of that UHSII cardslot yet, when we are looking at buffering and also some other things..
11-05-2021, 07:47 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Anyone here planning to attend? There are a few Japanese-speaking very helpful people on this forum, hopefully one or two of them would have the time - and get back to us with some information.
If not, can anyone recommend some good "learn Japanese in 14 days" course?

11-05-2021, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by x4rd Quote
Olympus and (especially) Fuji have a history of doing this. "Kaizen", they call it.
11-05-2021, 08:49 AM - 9 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

If nothing else this sets up a good three weeks of conjecture here on the forum
I give the thread a week max before it's closed because people keep asking if they can add a flippy screen via firmware.
11-05-2021, 08:53 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
" The evolution of K-3 Mark III will not stop!
Scheduled enhancements with new firmware "
11-05-2021, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I have K-3III and I have been using it quite a bit. I have had this feeling for a long time that by all specs and how it functions, it is not in full steam yet. . . ...
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
" The evolution of K-3 Mark III will not stop!
Scheduled enhancements with new firmware "
it has had several firmware updates since its release in the Spring of 2021:

QuoteQuote:
Changes to V1.21
Improved stability for general performance.

Changes to V1.20
[Enhanced features]

Corresponded to IMAGE Transmitter 2 (Version2.6.0)
[Others]

Improved the individual AF fine-adjustment settings to identify the attachment of the HD PENTAX-DA AF REAR CONVERTER 1.4X AW.

Changes to V1.10
[Enhanced features]

[Electronic shutter] can be selected.
When [Electronic Shutter] is selected, a high-speed shutter of fastest speed 1/16000 sec. is supported.
*For more details click here

[Others]

Optimized focus operation for new lens HD PENTAX-DA*16-50mmF2.8 ED PLM AW lens.

Changes to V1.02
Improved – When using both SD card slot 1 and slot 2 at the same time, operation becomes unstable in rare cases when using some SD cards.

Changes to V1.01

Improved stability of performance when battery power is low condition.
Corrected – In rare cases, images are not recorded correctly when shooting continuously in RAW format.
Latest PENTAX K-3 Mark III Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-05-2021 at 09:23 AM.
11-05-2021, 09:23 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
well already it has had several firmware updates since its release in the Spring of 2021:

Latest PENTAX K-3 Mark III Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
I’m aware of this, thank you actually I’v been on 1.21 for a while now. We have had even ES in FW update. And I did comment also then that I think that there will be even more coming. I’m going to have a good look at this coming up announcement…as well as ’leaks’ at the forums

Edit: with ’leaks’ I mean someone spilling ’news’ before hand
11-05-2021, 09:32 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Sensor tilt is hardware, and the control would have had to have been built into the original firmware. It would also add to the thickness of the camera body which goes against the design philosophy.
11-05-2021, 10:21 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Could we finally see in-camera focus stacking?
One could hope!
11-05-2021, 10:46 AM   #15
Pentaxian

This is rather exciting! Looking forward to see what new features will be available on the K-3III with future firmware releases.