Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 86 Likes Search this Thread
11-05-2021, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #16
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The event will be held at somewhat inconvenient time/date for me, not sure if I can attend but I'm registering anyway just in case.

I like the comment they put under the "tell us anything about PENTAX" kind of message box in the registration form to explain how it will be used.

You can also send one question (which is separate from the above mentioned message). I'm going back and forth between "Where is Ex-President Takahashi now?" and "Is Pentax still making a long-term commitment to 5 Principles of Pentax under the new president?" BTW, whatever Takanashi san is doing now, I wish him a luck.
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
They also mention that they are looking forward to welcoming people from "around the country", which makes me think you might need a Japanese address to attend.
You're right, you have to provide a Japanese address to get a user ID for Ricoh Imaging Store (in Japan) before proceeding to the event registration page, even though the event registration itself has "where are you from" question and you can select "abroad" as an answer.

Attached Images

11-05-2021, 05:11 PM - 4 Likes   #17
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I registered too, as I've bought from their store several times and been a member of their user club. I should be able to attend and see what they have to say.

What I'm hoping for is the following:
- Improved subject recognition in AF and some other added feature in the K-3 III firmware
- They have a session on the 21mm Limited, and they have already talked about it being the first in a series. I hope for a hint about what's next.
- Show a prototype of one of the two remaining lenses on the roadmap
- Some items added to the roadmap
- Some vague comment about the next camera
- The J-Limited team show some wacky custom model. Last time they showed a first try at a J-Limited K-3 III (black with reddish wood grip. It looked really cool. Perhaps they will take that further.
11-05-2021, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I registered too, as I've bought from their store several times and been a member of their user club. I should be able to attend and see what they have to say.

- Improved subject recognition in AF and some other added feature in the K-3 III firmware
- They have a session on the 21mm Limited, and they have already talked about it being the first in a series. I hope for a hint about what's next.
- The J-Limited team show some wacky custom model. Last time they showed a first try at a J-Limited K-3 III (black with reddish wood grip. It looked really cool. Perhaps they will take that further.
FF Tele zoom and FF converter would be welcome IMO.
11-05-2021, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #19
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
FF Tele zoom and FF converter would be welcome IMO.
Auto focus/ aperture extension tubes please :P

11-06-2021, 07:09 AM - 3 Likes   #20
JPT
Pentaxian

I missed an obvious one. Another strong possibility is that they talk about the upcoming GPS unit, because they have already said that is coming out in 2022.
11-06-2021, 07:43 AM   #21
Pentaxian

We have always known that Pentax builds for the Japanese consumer, and then allows the rest of us in also. I hope someone fluent in Japanese can attend, and then summarize for the rest of us what they are thinking.
11-06-2021, 08:12 AM - 5 Likes   #22
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
We have always known that Pentax builds for the Japanese consumer, and then allows the rest of us in also. I hope someone fluent in Japanese can attend, and then summarize for the rest of us what they are thinking.
I don't understand this notion. What do you suppose Japanese people do differently with their cameras? Why would anything different need to be made for Japanese consumers? There might be some small differences in what sells, but most of it would be exactly the same.

The problem Ricoh faces with their events is that they just don't have the staff to do the presentations, panel discussions and so on in English. I'm sure they would love to if the cost wasn't prohibitive.

And unless something comes up, I'm planning to attend on November 27 and summarize anything interesting. I usually do that when I can.

11-06-2021, 08:24 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Excellent, if they are going to talk about the specifications of the Pentax K1 III , and show us a prototype.
11-06-2021, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

I don't understand this notion. What do you suppose Japanese people do differently with their cameras? Why would anything different need to be made for Japanese
I don’t know, but we have been told this over and over - and it does seem to explain some things.

The one thing I can think of is that Japanese photographers may be less willing to perform endless “PP”, which might explain why Pentax is so willing to use ‘accelerator’ technology even though there are so many cries from Western users for some mechanism to disable it.
11-06-2021, 10:26 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I don’t know, but we have been told this over and over - and it does seem to explain some things.
Perhaps the Japanese are more likely to appreciate Pentax - a brand not known for performance, "cutting edge" features, and generally the things touted by "western" reviews? Perhaps they are more likely to e.g. appreciate a bright, clear optical viewfinder image without thinking of that as an attack to the 120fps EVFs?
But I don't think we should go as far as thinking that Pentax "builds for the Japanese customer".
11-06-2021, 10:30 AM - 4 Likes   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The one thing I can think of is that Japanese photographers may be less willing to perform endless “PP”, which might explain why Pentax is so willing to use ‘accelerator’ technology even though there are so many cries from Western users for some mechanism to disable it.

They are not many. Just vocal...
11-06-2021, 06:46 PM - 2 Likes   #27
JPT
Pentaxian

I see. You probably have a point here. There do seem to be more Japanese users who prefer to get desired results in camera as opposed to a RAW+PP workflow. Basically, a lot of Japanese people don't have an up-to-date computer in their home any more, content to use a smartphone or tablet. I always get the feeling that a lot of Japanese people never liked PCs in the first place, only used them out of necessity and now have the option to just not use them at all outside their work.

However, it's interesting that when I attended a presentation by the Pentax engineer in charge of image processing, one of the first questions from the Japanese audience was "Why can't the accelerator be disabled?", so clearly some Japanese users have the same concerns. I don't think these preferences divide neatly along cultural lines.

Overall, I think people make too much of the fact that all the camera makers are Japanese. When I hear things like "28mm is such a Japanese focal length" (which I know you are not saying here), I just wonder where this comes from. Fundamentally, I don't think that by being close to Japanese customers - an unfortunate consequence of their reduced scale - Pentax will come to significantly different decisions about the products they make.

For what it's worth, I do think that Ricoh Imaging as a whole makes an effort to put good English-language content on their Japanese site to make up for their lack of international presence. It's actually more than what other makers do on their Japan sites, perhaps because those companies can rely more on their local subsidiaries to do the marketing.
11-07-2021, 01:01 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Lets' hope there will be some real news on the 27th.
And many thanks in advance to those who will be able to help us to understand according to their translations.
11-07-2021, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
it has had several firmware updates since its release in the Spring of 2021
If the rumours stating that they have exchanged patents with Olympus are true (their SR system for video codecs), we should receive a massive overhaul of K-3 III's video capabilities (for which I have my fingers crossed).
11-16-2021, 06:01 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Lets' hope there will be some real news on the 27th.
And many thanks in advance to those who will be able to help us to understand according to their translations.
So, there will be two separate events on the 27th, one organized by Ricoh, and one organized by the “J Limited” group?
There's going to be a Pentax J Limited online event soon - Page 19 - PentaxForums.com