Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2007, 09:37 AM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rolly Quote
I'd like to add my thanks for the translation.
As for all the other diatribe:
1. Please, all of you stop, being so bloody sensitive and being so damn sure that you've got a handle on just about everything under the sun.
2. Remember that commerce is a world unto itself and has not, does not and never will have a great bearing on human happiness unless it is in the direction of discontent.
3. Technology is advancing at an exponential rate and what may have seemed in the past to have been a 'reasonable' gestation time for new developments, now seems slow and cumbersome.
4. All that one can be really certain of is that one cannot be certain of anything.
5. There have been rumours of non silicon based photovoltaic solar cells. Would anyone care to extrapolate as to where that might lead us in regard to photoimaging???
Truer words have never been spoken. We honestly have no knowledge of what bearing market pressure may or may not do to Pentax future production plans.

The most positive and interesting thing I heard was that these dudes want a 20% share of the digital imaging market and think that they can do it and do it quickly. That is phenomenal considering they are probably well under 5% currently (probably less that 3% actually). That is pretty potent stuff to say if you really don't think you can do it.

Whether it is hyperbole or fact, it sure looks like Pentax isn't taking prisoners. In 30 years of using their equipment (in all formats) I have never heard this type of talk. Personally, they can talk this way all day long as long as they are determined to deliver and actually do so. I think they are off to a pretty good start.

Stephen

03-13-2007, 12:39 PM   #47

I can't say that I know the Pentax photography community well, as the k10d is my first Pentax. However, I sense that the company has engendered a strong sense of respect and loyalty from its longtime users, which appears to have cast the manufacturer as a photography icon. I hope that Pentax can balance its new marketing aggression with ongoing mutual respect for its base. Status lost is not soon regained.
03-13-2007, 01:35 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That Really Depends

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Ben, wonder how often you will pick up the K10D or its replacement once the glorious 645D Appears? It could be the dream camera. As much as I love the K10D it would be hard for me to put a 645D down.
thanks
barondla
I honestly will not put down a DSLR unless the quality required merits it. I mean it. Look, I HATE BIG F---ING CAMERA'S and TRIPODS. The only time I can use a tripod is when shooting Still Life, which I suck at. I want to move around, shake my camera at 1/8th of a second when I want to, run around the model and shoot where the light is not suppose to be or shoot where I wasn't intending to do so in the first place. I want to make MISTAKES...If the 645D is capable of letting me be as spontaneous as the K10D is letting me be and is not cumbersome, perhaps. Wait till you see the quality of the K10D in print in April...I doubt if you could tell whether it was shot with a Mamiya D22 or the Pentax K10D. The magazine can't output the quality of this camera. I don't shoot in SH---Y rags. Most of the magazines I shoot for have between 130 and 175 dpi which is very high. The K10D shot well with the understanding that latitude must always be respected is capable of competing with best camera's in the world. Now if any of the Canon, Nikon or others wish to contest this, I will show you a few examples and I want you to tell me which was shot by which. I recently went in to an Ad Agency and the AD was so pleased to see a book that was all shot in MF film. "But...Ah my book hasn't been film in over three years..." Anyhow..Get your PP chops together, do innovative stuff, know how to really read and interpret light and love your craft and don't be afraid of F---ing up..Just try to remember how you did in case you want to replicate that beautiful mistake.

Oh yeah...I forgot the subject..Yeah, I'll use the 645D when I want to...

Last edited by benjikan; 03-13-2007 at 04:08 PM.
03-13-2007, 01:47 PM   #49
Veteran Member

A great rumor

Blende8,

You've been holding out on us. On Dpreview you posted a great rumor and it fits right in with this translation. A link to Luminous Landscape indicated somebody else besides Sigma will have a Foveon sensor in 6 months. That should make Mr. The Guy real happy, a 1.7 crop is going the other way from FF. It would also fit right in with the new DA lenses. The 16-50 becomes a 27-85 FOV, Perfect!

If the Pentax projection of new releases for the holidays is met and the K10XX is a 14MP Foveon sensor this could be a very expensive Christmas, new body and DA lenses.

Regards,

03-14-2007, 03:22 AM   #50
Inactive Account

cool and interesting, it's funny how fair are the guyes from Pentax

i'm afraid we'll have to wait some time before a K1d but it's cool because it's really on the way ! And maybe it's beter we wait and have a very strong product at the end. What i would like to know now, is how 'high hand' it will be and what kind of buyers they will target : will it be a Canon 1D MarkIII competitor ? What kind of sensor ? bigger ? etc.

I wonder whats their plans about sensor in general, i think we need a move toward bigger sensor like true APS-H
03-14-2007, 01:28 PM   #51

Thanks!

I've finally lift my head and start to look around for another place than dpreview to still my hunger for things Pentax, and what do I find? This forum and this thread. Thanks. My fate in humanity, pentaxians and forum operators has been restored.

I think a one year release cycle could do Pentax well, if they can deliver something new every year. It doesn't have to be big every year, but it should be something that should make you want to buy, but still make it survivable to "only" upgrade every other year.

What will happen if this works, is that there will be a huge and thriving used marked, where people who does not have the money to be cutting edge can get something that's only a year old for ... a bit less. If you look at ebay, there's really not much pentax there at the moment. My guess is that most DS, DL etc owners who have gotten a K10D has kept the old camera as a backup, simply because it's impossible to get a decent used price for it (trying to get real money for a DS, with the K100D out is a hard sell). I know I am.

But my guess is that come christmas you can get a decent sum for your K10D and be half way towards the K10D2.

Anyway, my first post here, thanks to the OP for the translation and everybody else for the interesting comments.
03-22-2007, 03:52 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Hi Benji,

Normally it痴 not my thing to be overly impressed, just because somebody is good at their work. But I gotta hand it to you, I saw the rest of the series in which your Shiva was a part; and I think its out of this world. The final product in Hinduism turned out very well, and the rest are up to that quality or beyond. I知 no big slave to fashion, but these images really speak to the observer, and come through.
The background to Islam reminds me of when I was at the Taj Mahal, and the rest are beautiful too, Off cause so are the girls.
:-)
The play with light and shadow is truly impressive; in the mean time many of the rest of us are counting pixels, and talking of the limitations of a camera. Seeing these really make one a bit humble, as to the amount of possibility.
Thanks for showing.

[QUOTE=benjikan;36041] Wait till you see the quality of the K10D in print in April...I doubt if you could tell whether it was shot with a Mamiya D22 or the Pentax K10D. The magazine can't output the quality of this camera. I don't shoot in SH---Y rags. Most of the magazines I shoot for have between 130 and 175 dpi which is very high. The K10D shot well with the understanding that latitude must always be respected is capable of competing with best camera's in the world. Now if any of the Canon, Nikon or others wish to contest this, I will show you a few examples and I want you to tell me which was shot by which. I recently went in to an Ad Agency and the AD was so pleased to see a book that was all shot in MF film. "But...Ah my book hasn't been film in over three years..."

It痴 funny that you should say this. Long time ago, when the original Z-1P was reviewed in a Danish magazine together with the FA* 28-70 and some other lenses; the reviewer said that it was too bad that Pentax wasn稚 more well know, cause he was really impressed with what he saw.
Someone he knew was shooting some commercial pictures with a MF camera, and they tried as well with the 35mm film Pentax plus the FA* 28-70; and they both thought that the Pentax had delivered the images better than the MF. So he concluded that it was a shame that the Professional use of Pentax was limited to the 645 and 6x7; not noticing the quality of Pentax 35mm regular SLR camera and lenses.
03-24-2007, 10:54 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Translation to Print

[QUOTE=Jonson PL;39529]Hi Benji,

Normally it痴 not my thing to be overly impressed, just because somebody is good at their work. But I gotta hand it to you, I saw the rest of the series in which your Shiva was a part; and I think its out of this world. The final product in Hinduism turned out very well, and the rest are up to that quality or beyond. I知 no big slave to fashion, but these images really speak to the observer, and come through.
The background to Islam reminds me of when I was at the Taj Mahal, and the rest are beautiful too, Off cause so are the girls.
:-)
The play with light and shadow is truly impressive; in the mean time many of the rest of us are counting pixels, and talking of the limitations of a camera. Seeing these really make one a bit humble, as to the amount of possibility.
Thanks for showing.

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Wait till you see the quality of the K10D in print in April...I doubt if you could tell whether it was shot with a Mamiya D22 or the Pentax K10D. The magazine can't output the quality of this camera. I don't shoot in SH---Y rags. Most of the magazines I shoot for have between 130 and 175 dpi which is very high. The K10D shot well with the understanding that latitude must always be respected is capable of competing with best camera's in the world. Now if any of the Canon, Nikon or others wish to contest this, I will show you a few examples and I want you to tell me which was shot by which. I recently went in to an Ad Agency and the AD was so pleased to see a book that was all shot in MF film. "But...Ah my book hasn't been film in over three years..."

It痴 funny that you should say this. Long time ago, when the original Z-1P was reviewed in a Danish magazine together with the FA* 28-70 and some other lenses; the reviewer said that it was too bad that Pentax wasn稚 more well know, cause he was really impressed with what he saw.
Someone he knew was shooting some commercial pictures with a MF camera, and they tried as well with the 35mm film Pentax plus the FA* 28-70; and they both thought that the Pentax had delivered the images better than the MF. So he concluded that it was a shame that the Professional use of Pentax was limited to the 645 and 6x7; not noticing the quality of Pentax 35mm regular SLR camera and lenses.
Some of the K10D images will be blown up to 1.20 x 0.80, 2.0 x 3.0 and 4.0 x 6.0 meters...Just get your exposures on within 1 stop and you'll be more than fine...

04-27-2007, 08:19 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Katsura Quote
Hi, this is a rough translation I did of the Watch Impress (Japanese online multimedia magazine) interview of Pentax management at PMA.
I think a lot of people are reading things into this which just isn't there. It is very vague about future developments in regards to the K10D and K100D. It mentions upgrades in one paragraph and successors in another (clearly not the same in the context used). Therefore, we may just see upgraded versions of the existing cameras every 12 or so months instead of outright replacements (names may not even change). Actual replacements (a K20D, for example) may follow a much longer product cycle. Regardless, implimentation of whatever is planned for around the Christmas shopping season, which is still many months away. Therefore, it is somewhat silly to speculate too much now, and downright foolish to delay purchase at this point simply to wait for an unknown.

Having said that, I think it would be unwise for Pentax to shorten the product cycle of the higher end models. Customers are almost always unhappy when their expensive purchases are replaced by something else (and a higher end digital camera is an expensive purchase). A faster product cycle will only increase the number and frequency of unhappy customers, potentially leading to dissatisfaction with the product in general. Eventually, customers may actually flee simply to avoid the constant turmoil.

Stewart
09-18-2007, 02:51 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Thanks for the excellent translation!

- Bert
09-18-2007, 09:10 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I honestly will not put down a DSLR unless the quality required merits it. I mean it. Look, I HATE BIG F---ING CAMERA'S and TRIPODS. The only time I can use a tripod is when shooting Still Life, which I suck at. I want to move around, shake my camera at 1/8th of a second when I want to, run around the model and shoot where the light is not suppose to be or shoot where I wasn't intending to do so in the first place. I want to make MISTAKES...If the 645D is capable of letting me be as spontaneous as the K10D is letting me be and is not cumbersome, perhaps. Wait till you see the quality of the K10D in print in April...I doubt if you could tell whether it was shot with a Mamiya D22 or the Pentax K10D. The magazine can't output the quality of this camera. I don't shoot in SH---Y rags. Most of the magazines I shoot for have between 130 and 175 dpi which is very high. The K10D shot well with the understanding that latitude must always be respected is capable of competing with best camera's in the world. Now if any of the Canon, Nikon or others wish to contest this, I will show you a few examples and I want you to tell me which was shot by which. I recently went in to an Ad Agency and the AD was so pleased to see a book that was all shot in MF film. "But...Ah my book hasn't been film in over three years..." Anyhow..Get your PP chops together, do innovative stuff, know how to really read and interpret light and love your craft and don't be afraid of F---ing up..Just try to remember how you did in case you want to replicate that beautiful mistake.

and don't be afraid of F---ing up

Oh yeah...I forgot the subject..Yeah, I'll use the 645D when I want to...

Ben. This is the most assertive statement I've seen you make

so I would like to add to the end of your statement: oh yeah
09-20-2007, 02:38 PM   #57
Veteran Member

This thread is a bit pointless

HOYA changed the whole playing field.... Pretty much any announcements prior to now are not even as good as rumor....................Even if the same plans go forward, Pentax's new "handlers" will probably have to sit and review it for months, thus delaying everything.
09-20-2007, 03:01 PM   #58
Pentaxian

Why? They should know this means suicide...
09-20-2007, 04:37 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Hmmmm...

Possibly they are already preparing to fall on their swords?
09-21-2007, 03:31 AM   #60
Pentaxian

Guess what:
PENTAX NEWS release 2007 : PENTAX Spotting Scope PF-65ED II/PF-65EDA II