Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2007, 11:13 AM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Katsura Quote
SNIP
- The K10D/ K100D successor is almost ready! Maybe Pentax learned to be clever and hold back their spec announcement to as late as possible, unlike a before, when they need to announce the k10D well early in order to keep up the interest of D/DS/DL owners as not to loose customer. Now they have a very strong machine on the market already and can afford to keep back their secrets for longer as to not tip off their competitors, great move! My guess is we will see prototype this Photokina.
There is no Photokina this year, it happens once every two years. The next one is September 2008. I suspect that we shall see updates to the K100D & K10D before then, probably at the end of this year.

The anticpated pro-grade (non 645D) body may be announced at Photokina 2008 as the sensor size broohaha may be settled by then (maybe!).

03-12-2007, 11:44 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
LOL @ 645D sensor size .

Thanks for pointing this out Richard, I had no idea it's once per 2 years... 2008 huh? Just in time for photographing the Olympics game...

Soz, I only live in little back water England, no idead what's happening in the big world . (very jealous of US's E3 show etc).
03-12-2007, 11:52 AM   #18
Inactive Account

No FF. Stop Your Misrepresentational Wishful Thinking Please

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
specifically Pentax's determination to provide the user with a pro benchmark as a precedent for all camera's in their line as well as providing a kind of F1 (race car analogy) version camera. They also alluded to the fact that "...we are all looking to a FF frame solution in the future..."
You are reading things into the interview that are not there.

QuoteQuote:
WI: previously, you have mentioned a higher lever machine that sits above K10D. How goes the development on that front? Would it depend on sensor development time table?

Torigoe: First step is to provide suitable products for entry level users, the next step is providing a product for beginner users to grow in to, an advanced armature product. The next logical step, in order to expand product portfolio, is highend machines, and we are definitely following that. But currently we are taking our steps one by one, concentrate on one machine at a time, thus we haven't anything firm on it yet.

Tatamika: A highend machine is certainly in the product planning. We have the ability to make a highend body, however we need to accurately understanding the need and requirement for such a machine. If K10'd users want a higher level machine, we need to determine the kind of performance level, features, and how to maximize the spread of cost from listening to voice of the market. (Translator痴 note: get out your pen folks, and write down what's important to you and send them to Pentax.)
They are first going to concentrate on lower-end cameras. They haven't even begun to set design parameters for a hi-end camera and said nothing about FF. If you want FF please switch back to Canon sir. Non-professionals want small and light which is what they are going to be concentrating on as is also stated in the interview. Good. That's what the majority wants. No more of this regressive FF silliness please. It's getting lame and tiring. Your advocacy of non-APS-C sensors is doing a massive disservice to people who are coming here for knowledgeable advice and causing them to buy out-of-date lenses for reasons that will not happen anytime in the foreseeable future. This interview confirms that. Not your delusions.
03-12-2007, 11:53 AM   #19
Veteran Member

lol, I knew they would introduce an updated model solving all the current K10D issues within a few months after I plunked down 1000 bucks...

Larry

03-12-2007, 12:14 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. The Guy Quote
Non-professionals want small and light which is what they are going to be concentrating on as is also stated in the interview. Good. That's what the majority wants. No more of this regressive FF silliness please. It's getting lame and tiring. Your advocacy of non-APS-C sensors is doing a massive disservice to people who are coming here for knowledgeable advice and causing them to buy out-of-date lenses for reasons that will not happen anytime in the foreseeable future. This interview confirms that. Not your delusions.
Thanks! Well said!
03-12-2007, 12:18 PM   #21

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I was aware of the fact that it was Jack Simpson who was banned...Another person at DP Reviews said that it was the second time a contributer to the Pentax Forum's was banned and made a reference alluding to a situation that was similar to mine. My ego sometimes speaks loudly, but I'm afraid this time it wasn't...

Yes it was Jack Simpson who received a ban.

But I made a complaint about another poster in their forums that I know was just putting in a "Pentax Sucks" comment and caused quite a stir... I was told that that poster was "not controversal enough" to receive a ban.

I still go there and read alot.. but the forums are bad... very bad to be called disccusion forums.
03-12-2007, 01:38 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Thanks for the translation.

Personally, I am not too sure the 12 month model release cycle is such a good idea for higher end gear, I'd rather see the extra effort/investment go into getting each new release spot on, with regular firmware updates to address issues and improve performance.

I'm deeply sceptical about full frame solutions in the near future, but would be less surprised to see customer sensors being offered at the 1.3 crop size, since this is about the limit of current steppers and would keep the price down. However it would make each of the new DA lenses (16-50 and 50-135) shorter in focal length and less useful IMO. Also not sure how much vignetting you;d get.

Still, its good to see Pentax being optimistic and aggressive on the development front. I would love to see them ahead of the curve for a change, instead of playing catch up. The K10 proved they have the potential to do so, but even if they bring out a new pro model, I'm keeping my K10D as a backup at least. Too wasteful otherwise!

03-12-2007, 01:39 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Plenty of us want a 1.3 crop sensor

They are first going to concentrate on lower-end cameras. They haven't even begun to set design parameters for a hi-end camera and said nothing about FF. If you want FF please switch back to Canon sir. Non-professionals want small and light which is what they are going to be concentrating on as is also stated in the interview. Good. That's what the majority wants. No more of this regressive FF silliness please. It's getting lame and tiring. Your advocacy of non-APS-C sensors is doing a massive disservice to people who are coming here for knowledgeable advice and causing them to buy out-of-date lenses for reasons that will not happen anytime in the foreseeable future. This interview confirms that. Not your delusions.
There is room for all sized sensors. Wish there was a way we could make a bet on this because I am convinced we will see a sensor larger than APS-C from Sony by mid summer and Pentax following in the fall. Please explain to me how an FA 31 or FA77 is an out of date lens.

Regards,
03-12-2007, 01:49 PM   #24

Thanks for the translation

Very interesting indeed! Especially:
QuoteOriginally posted by Katsura Quote
WI: This year?
Torigoe: The truth is, the next generation is almost ready.

WI: About the new products, are you developing successors to the K100D and K10D in parallel?
Torigoe: Yes, we will provide upgrades for both groups of our customer.
Really would like to know what the specs of the K100D successor will be, I need just a bit more (like viewfinder and buffersize) than the K100D to replace my DS..
03-12-2007, 01:59 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just hope that when the new cycle of DSLR'S come out, that they don't forget about the issues that are still related to the K's they already have.
It would be a huge dissapointment to have invested my money in the K10 just to find out that the newer models will get all the attention as far as fimware, etc.

cheers

randy
03-12-2007, 03:08 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
I just hope that when the new cycle of DSLR'S come out, that they don't forget about the issues that are still related to the K's they already have.
It would be a huge dissapointment to have invested my money in the K10 just to find out that the newer models will get all the attention as far as fimware, etc.

cheers

randy
Hi Randy, going from past performance, that hasn't been Pentax's way of operating. They were still issuing firmware updates to the DS well after the K100D was out. But of course things can change...

NaCl(I think they'll continue to support older models, they've always done so in the past)H2O
03-12-2007, 03:11 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote

cheers

randy
I agree . . . I was fortunate enough to receive my K10D last November and, as do most K10D owners, I love it. First time I really "splurged" to be cutting edge. I would really think twice before doing the same a year later . . . rather see Pentax address firmware, lens supply, etc. before they move on to another model.
03-12-2007, 03:53 PM   #28

Benjikan,

Your ego sticks out constantly as a zoom lens stretching... You look like those guys who quit smoking and turn into anti-tabagism zealots. Go and make nice pictures.
We're all well aware by now of your sponsorship with Pentax and of your change of allegiance. Let's talk about photography, shall we?

Last edited by Penta x Tuga; 03-12-2007 at 03:54 PM. Reason: mistake
03-12-2007, 04:03 PM   #29

By the way...

Katsura, thanks for a job well done.

Just got my K10D, and my first Pentax ever. I'm quite satisfied with it. Tough I must confess the thought of an upgrade coming out so soon annoys me a bit, I try to follow the rule that says: "what is good today, will be good tomorrow". My K10 won't take worse pictures because there's a new, better model out there...

I won't sell a kidney for that; not one of my own, at least...

Last edited by Penta x Tuga; 03-12-2007 at 04:26 PM.
03-12-2007, 04:33 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Delusional

I appreciate your good business sense. I also appreciate your passionate stance in regards to the APS-C sensor format. I also am quite impressed with your forthright honesty. In fact your diatribe makes quite a bit of sense. But what I do not appreciate is being called delusional. What I do for a living is not delusional. It is a very concrete reality that I have done for over twenty five years. If I wish to speculate on where Pentax may be going in the future, that is a luxury I can afford for myself. It is called forward thinking. Some of the greatest science fiction writers have had a major influence on the development of very real and functioning technologies. If you wish to classify them as delusional, that is your prerogative. I will just say this, it might more more constructive to keep the dialogue civil and openly positive. Yes, I am childlike. Thank God for that. If I were not, I probably wouldn't be doing what I am doing today.

Just one more tidbit. I did not read in to the interview. I added an addendum based on what was expressed to me. So please don't shoot the messenger. When I sited that information, I took the liberty to pass some of it on to the Pentax users here. What I did add were the metaphors.

Here is a quote from the interview...

"The next logical step, in order to expand product portfolio, is highend machines, and we are definitely following that."

Thanks...
Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 03-12-2007 at 04:51 PM.