Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2008, 08:43 PM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
Yes, Steve, but the better me was kind enough not to give him any answer on that thread. I'll rather wait for the official market share quotas and decide then what to do .
Anyway I don't know if it means much but in my country Pentax had the best year of the decade in DSLRs with about 8% market share with very good K200D sales and in the whole EU the rumour from Pentax Europe says about 5-6% at least. So, it's very hard for me to believe not only the market share from that "report" but most of all the number sold. Look at Amazon France:Amazon.fr Meilleures ventes High-tech: Les articles les plus populaires de la rubrique Kit avec objectif. Mis jour chaque heure. and you'll see from 5 to 7 Pentax models in top 25 at any given time with the K200D glued on 3rd place. Sony has a very low profile there and even if they stuff the hypermarkets that don't guarantee the sell or any profits at all. The "report" is about production and shipments not hard sells and I also find pretty hard to believe that even Sony could triple its production in less than a year.

Now it will be nice to see an official reaction with some numbers from Hoya, IMO because anyway those numbers are public domain from a listed company.

Regards,
Radu
I agree - either Sony have just bankrupted themselves by shipping lots of unsold/unsellable stock or Tweedle is full of BS. Or both of course, after all the last point is a certainty .

12-13-2008, 09:01 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
I agree - either Sony have just bankrupted themselves by shipping lots of unsold/unsellable stock or Tweedle is full of BS. Or both of course, after all the last point is a certainty .
At this point it is all speculation as to what the real numbers are. Those of us on this side of the Atlantic are seeing a different picture than you guys are seeing. I wouldn't dare make any guesses as to what the April numbers will show.

My hope is that Hoya started to make cuts early enough to weather this storm. I will say market share means very little in this type of market. The key is are you making a profit on what you do sell.
12-13-2008, 09:35 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
At this point it is all speculation as to what the real numbers are. Those of us on this side of the Atlantic are seeing a different picture Than you guys are seeing. I wouldn't dare make any guesses as to what the April numbers will show.

My hope is that Hoya started to make cuts early enough to weather this storm. I will say market share means very little in this type of market. The key is are you making a profit on what you do sell.
I agree with you too. Pentax Europe made some big changes a couple of years ago and they are now becoming established as no3 but they are now a much lower cost operation than they were 3 years back.

The equally radical changes in the US have to work themselves through. It does take a while but the US distribution channels were hopelessly top heavy and old fashioned. They can't have been cost efficient in margin terms when hundreds of reps were looking after hundreds of stores selling one or two items a month. Lets hope Ned has the strategy figured out. The US geography makes it a vastly different proposition to Europe and internet selling is much more established over there, so I think he has it under control.

I wish him well. I do know he's VERY impressed with the management at Hoya - lets hope their sense prevails over Pentax. So far so good.

The fact they are radically cutting the fat makes me think they may be ahead of the curve. Even if they dont make a large profit in the next 18 months they will not be causing a co. the size of Hoya any significant headaches. Its better to contract capacity and grow from strength just when everyone else is struggling with unsold and out of date inventory, rather than throw cash at a problem and end up with a financial hole just when cheap credit is drying up. (Sony look to be heading this way, but they always did have a somewhat gung-ho attitude to world domination and it always backfires on them!).

Lets just hope they are prepared to come out fighting in 2009 in time to catch the upturn - if it materialises of course. Some are projecting 2010 or even 2011 before recovery. If thats true I think Pentax will not be the only ones who are worrying.
12-14-2008, 07:03 AM   #64
Site Supporter

Well don't know about the #'s for the world but I will give you a few of my own.
Where I work Pentax is on track to do 1/4 of what it did the year before in dslrs. Thats a great strategy.
Creve Coeur ( the largest brick & mortar Pentax dealer in the US) just ran a full page ad in the Post Dispatch newspaper for Nikon! Don't remember them pushing Nikon in the last 3 years (maybe they did). They have always been Pentax & Olympus dslrs. A full page. No Pentax. Thats a great Pentax strategy.

Cutting small dealers out was stupid. The internet will not keep them going for long because they are box movers and could care less what they sell. Smart niche brands abhor the internet and avoid it at all costs. Unless they are selling it direct to consumer.
thanks
barondla

12-14-2008, 09:10 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Lets hope Ned has the strategy figured out. The US geography makes it a vastly different proposition to Europe and internet selling is much more established over there, so I think he has it under control.

I wish him well. I do know he's VERY impressed with the management at Hoya - lets hope their sense prevails over Pentax. So far so good.
Unfortunately, As much as I would like to be optimistic about the direction the US marketing department is taking, I see nothing to indicate things have been put on a better footing. The changes that have been made were done very poorly and the overall approach makes no sense at all for either short or long term. As a matter of fact it looks more like a warmed over 1970's plan than something that will work in the present market.
12-14-2008, 09:35 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Unfortunately, As much as I would like to be optimistic about the direction the US marketing department is taking, I see nothing to indicate things have been put on a better footing. The changes that have been made were done very poorly and the overall approach makes no sense at all for either short or long term. As a matter of fact it looks more like a warmed over 1970's plan than something that will work in the present market.
What can I say - I thought they were going the same way in Europe at one point. I guess patience is required for the actual strategy to become apparent.

Seems that Canada has its own distribution which seems to do OK judging from these forums. Am I correct?
12-14-2008, 09:55 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Seems that Canada has its own distribution which seems to do OK judging from these forums. Am I correct?
Even though many Americans think Maine should be part of Canada we are not so I can't answer that. Of course if we were part of Canada we would be with the Maritime provinces and most Canadians don't think of them as part of Canada either.
12-14-2008, 11:46 AM   #68
Site Supporter

Just got the Sunday ST. Louis Post Dispatch newspaper. Creve Coeur has a 6 page color insert for... Nikon. That great pentax plan is working well. Has Pentax pissed off their #1 B&M dealer in the US? No idea. This company is screwed up and I don't see it getting fixed anytime soon. Such a shame. Love the engineers and now can hardly stand the company.
thanks
barondla

12-14-2008, 01:45 PM   #69
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Just got the Sunday ST. Louis Post Dispatch newspaper. Creve Coeur has a 6 page color insert for... Nikon. That great pentax plan is working well. Has Pentax pissed off their #1 B&M dealer in the US? No idea. This company is screwed up and I don't see it getting fixed anytime soon. Such a shame. Love the engineers and now can hardly stand the company.
thanks
barondla
If it weren't for B&M stores that have major internet presence(Adorama & BH for example), many of us wouldn't be able to get new Pentax gear period. I'd have to go to Tampa or Atlanta, 4 and 5 hrs 1 way respectively just to look and see what was on the shelves. Jacksonville may have something but Gainesville would be more likely than them.
12-14-2008, 02:09 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Canadian opinion to follow...

Every B/M store in my area caries Pentax DSLR's. Even the small photoshops in the malls.

The larger shops have larger displays of course then do the smaller mall type stores, but in everycase they have Pentax.

Even Futureshop (Canada's version of BestBuy & now owned by BestBuy) caries Pentax.

I have seen billboard ad's, magazine, and newspaper ad's. It never occured to me that Pentax had such a low presence.

At the end of last summer I took a trip to Seattle. While there I paid a visit to Glazer's Photo. I was expecting that such a large store would have a full-on Pentax display. I was expecting that I would see a case ful of limiteds, all the bodies, zooms, DA*'s... you know EVERYTHING.

But what I saw was a small glass case with some pentax boxes. Maybe 7 or 8. Just the basic kits. Nothing on display. Nothing out of a box. No indication that they even sold Pentax. maybe they were in the process of removing Pentax from the shelves? Who knows. Very disapointing.

So, yes I do believe that Pentax marketing is a different animal north of the 49th.
12-14-2008, 02:33 PM   #71
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If Pentax does do a GPS unit, it needs to be better than the one some companies are putting in their P&S that can be off by several hundred meters as well as other shortcomings. Plus, a gps chip is likely to go obsolete faster than the camera so an upgradeable unit should be considered. That's why I like the grip idea. A better gps unit plus easier to upgrade.
12-14-2008, 03:53 PM   #72

is it possible technically to use our new K20D as mobile gps navigation device? LCD is large enough, I have SD cards recent maps saved in.
12-14-2008, 04:43 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adnan EROL Quote
is it possible technically to use our new K20D as mobile gps navigation device? LCD is large enough, I have SD cards recent maps saved in.
You laugh, but someone ported the Pacman game to the old Kodak DC290 cameras wayyyy back. If they opened it up enough, someone may hack in something weird
12-14-2008, 04:44 PM   #74
Site Supporter

Like a winch a good but not great after market model will cost $100 and a great one $200.
Not in the sailing world - add another zero. I wish we could be this lucky.

Jer
12-14-2008, 11:07 PM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
thanks
barondla
We got that insert ad last weekend printed with the info from the only BnM in town that sells Pentax. It's printed on yellow paper, no less!

I was hoping for at least a mention of Pentax somewhere on a back page or something...nope...100% Nikon :ugh: