Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2008, 07:46 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
GPS makes sense on the K20D because the camera has been aimed at outdoor photographers. Very useful in nature shots when you are out in the boonies. You can't remember every where you have been and shot. Especially if it is really out in the boonies and doesn't even have a name.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST in P&S forum.

12-07-2008, 07:50 AM   #17

I would rather they focused on features that help take higher quality photos... Low light noise/autofocus/high ISO performance/viewfinder/fps.
12-07-2008, 08:02 AM   #18
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by frogger Quote
I would rather they focused on features that help take higher quality photos... Low light noise/autofocus/high ISO performance/viewfinder/fps.
fps doesn't do anythingg for or against photo quality.
12-07-2008, 09:17 AM   #19
Veteran Member

It's been a very long time since *istDx series since Pentax introduced variations of the existing cameras...

12-07-2008, 12:29 PM   #20
Veteran Member

You mean, since the K100D to K100D Super
12-07-2008, 12:38 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pareto Quote
If they put the improved low-light AF algorithms from the K-m into this K20D GPS, I'll probably buy it.
And the mirror box, and the rumored FF magnified viewfinder (although thats more likely in a k30d).
12-07-2008, 05:46 PM   #22

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
And the mirror box, and the rumored FF magnified viewfinder (although thats more likely in a k30d).
This.

Right here.

The viewfinder.

That is ALL I want.

12-08-2008, 10:13 AM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
I wonder if it will tell me where I left my lens cap....
Tell me about. I left my lens cap and shade for my Sigma 20-40mm lens somewhere.
12-08-2008, 10:14 AM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
GPS makes sense on the K20D because the camera has been aimed at outdoor photographers. Very useful in nature shots when you are out in the boonies. You can't remember every where you have been and shot. Especially if it is really out in the boonies and doesn't even have a name.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST in P&S forum.
When I'm in those situations, I'm using my Garmin unit anyway with data that can be fed in to ArcView (ESRI).
12-08-2008, 10:58 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great news! This is something that I've really been waiting for! As a stream ecologist who shoots quite a lot in the great outdoors, this is a godsend. Especially for those work-related stream shots that tend be so similar that it's close to impossible to distinguish them and put them on a map. At least it requires a lot of work. Hopefully I can afford the camera when it comes out.
12-08-2008, 01:04 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by anomaly Quote
This.

Right here.

The viewfinder.

That is ALL I want.
ME TOO. It'd be AWESOME if they make the viewfinder bigger.

Right now I'm using the KPS 1.3x magnifying eyepiece and it's awesome.
12-08-2008, 01:40 PM   #27
Veteran Member

if you want GPS on your K20D, you could just buy this little gadget: JOBO AG international: photoGPS

Cheaper than buying a brand new camera at least...
12-08-2008, 02:23 PM   #28
Veteran Member

A GPS won't be enough to convince me to buy a k20D, but if it is included in a future k30d, it might convince me rather than waiting for a k40d... I'm cheap, rather buy lens, and really don't need more than 10 MP (although cropping could be nice I know).

I do like geotagging my photos and usually just count on my pocket GPS for track logs or Google Earth when the location is easier to interpret.

I used to agree that I should always remember where I take shots, but the truth is, I don't. I hike a lot and I do a lot of road trips. Sites begin to look the same, and in going back to geotag photos there are plenty of mountains, beaches, etc that I can't remember which is which... I usually have a good idea so that I can often use Flickr or Google Earth for visual confirmation, but even my handheld GPS or geotagging right after a trip will be a nice value years down the road when my wife says "let's go back to this place"
12-08-2008, 03:57 PM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Boucicaut Quote
Great news! This is something that I've really been waiting for! As a stream ecologist who shoots quite a lot in the great outdoors, this is a godsend. Especially for those work-related stream shots that tend be so similar that it's close to impossible to distinguish them and put them on a map. At least it requires a lot of work. Hopefully I can afford the camera when it comes out.
I would think you would be using a GPS system to mark your research points anyway regardless of whether you are photographing things anyway. I would hate to have to rely on my camera for GPS or my gps as a camera.
12-10-2008, 07:41 PM   #30
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by frogger Quote
you hit the nail right on the head!

and maybe improve their live view implementation as well.