Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2021, 03:43 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I imagine there will be OVFs around for quite awhile. Even if Pentax would stop making them, some niche company would see a chance to do something different and enter that niche. They won't ever command 90 percent of the market again, but there are definitely traditionalists who prefer them, for a variety of reasons.

(The reasons are immaterial. As long as people prefer one thing over another and purchase that thing, it will hang around).

11-25-2021, 04:12 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I imagine there will be OVFs around for quite awhile. Even if Pentax would stop making them, some niche company would see a chance to do something different and enter that niche.
I doubt anyone else would pick up DSLRs - their survival is IMO up to Pentax.
It's very difficult to start with ILCs, as we're no longer talking about the simple mechanical SLRs of the old - but the complex, computerized DSLRs. I'm struggling to find examples, there were some Chinese companies joining the m4/3 mount, Samsung tried and failed.
Typically this is done by buying a camera division which already has ILCs. Say, Ricoh buying Pentax (even though Ricoh had SLRs in the past); or Sony buying Konica-Minolta.
11-25-2021, 05:47 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It's very difficult to start with ILCs, as we're no longer talking about the simple mechanical SLRs of the old - but the complex, computerized DSLRs. I'm struggling to find examples, there were some Chinese companies joining the m4/3 mount, Samsung tried and failed.
Typically this is done by buying a camera division which already has ILCs. Say, Ricoh buying Pentax (even though Ricoh had SLRs in the past); or Sony buying Konica-Minolta.
Maybe so. I just think cameras like Holga were sold for "artistic purposes" and it seems as though if a company were able to sell that concept, it would be an interesting niche to explore. Not everyone wants extremely speedy operation and highly technical tools. Film is still alive, despite the fact that in many ways digital is much easier to use and gives excellent results.
11-25-2021, 06:10 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Maybe so. I just think cameras like Holga were sold for "artistic purposes" and it seems as though if a company were able to sell that concept, it would be an interesting niche to explore.
But Holga is a lousy crappy box, thus basically no technological challenge.

11-25-2021, 06:14 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I predict Pentax will win lots of "DSLR of the year" awards from now on
Don't worry, they will remove this category soon :P
11-25-2021, 07:21 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
But Holga is a lousy crappy box, thus basically no technological challenge.
What does Leica bring to the table?
11-25-2021, 07:32 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There's probably room for a simple Chinese DSLR in the near future. But again there's plenty second hand available. Simple features but instant sharing might make it happen.

11-25-2021, 07:39 AM   #38
Pentaxian

What does Leica bring to the table?
Leica predates Asahi Optical, so they fit extremely well within what I said
11-25-2021, 01:04 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Does the “Practica” company still exist? There must be several designs that could be resurrected if there were a vacuum to fill - the design could come from one continent, while the money came from another.
11-25-2021, 01:13 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Does the “Practica” company still exist? There must be several designs that could be resurrected if there were a vacuum to fill - the design could come from one continent, while the money came from another.
We're apparently talking about different things - you about resurrecting the old mechanical film SLR, and me about someone else making modern DSLRs.
The former should be doable, even if by copying old, no longer protected cameras. Except this demand is served by the second hand market.
The latter, I just don't see it happening.
11-25-2021, 01:18 PM   #41
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There never was a company called Practica. The early models were a product of the KW company, later merged into the Pentacon conglomerate. The last gasp was their B series slrs in the 80s. The former East German camera companies didn’t survive unification and the beginnings of the digital age.
11-25-2021, 02:17 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
Don't worry, they will remove this category soon :P
Especially when it becomes the DSLR of last year award... !
11-25-2021, 09:56 PM   #43
Pentaxian

We're apparently talking about different things - you about resurrecting the old mechanical film SLR, and me about someone else making modern DSLRs.
The former should be doable, even if by copying old, no longer protected cameras. Except this demand is served by the second hand market.
The latter, I just don't see it happening.
I thought we were talking about the same thing - I was thinking that resurrecting an old mechanical SLR might be a shortcut for a company wanting to design a DSLR starting from nothing.
Not knowing if the Chinese company which last produced the K1000 could legally use that as a starting point, my mind wandered to wondering if they or someone else could use the “Practica”.
11-26-2021, 12:52 AM   #44
Pentaxian

I thought we were talking about the same thing - I was thinking that resurrecting an old mechanical SLR might be a shortcut for a company wanting to design a DSLR starting from nothing.
And they would start from... what? They wouldn't be able to reuse anything from that old mechanical SLR. That inexpensive digital LX? Won't happen, sorry.

We're discussing the scenario in which Pentax would have failed to maintain the K-mount line, and someone else would succeed starting something similar (thus at a higher expense).
Or is it about making the equivalent of a Holga? The worst made DSLR money can buy? Being so much more complex than a Holga, would it explode when you try to take a picture?

Let's be realistic and appreciate Pentax' expertise at making DSLRs (and lenses, ofc). This isn't easily replicated at any cost; and much less so if you're cheap.
11-26-2021, 03:53 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
And they would start from... what? They wouldn't be able to reuse anything from that old mechanical SLR. That inexpensive digital LX? Won't happen, sorry.

We're discussing the scenario in which Pentax would have failed to maintain the K-mount line, and someone else would succeed starting something similar (thus at a higher expense).
Or is it about making the equivalent of a Holga? The worst made DSLR money can buy? Being so much more complex than a Holga, would it explode when you try to take a picture?

Let's be realistic and appreciate Pentax' expertise at making DSLRs (and lenses, ofc). This isn't easily replicated at any cost; and much less so if you're cheap.
I think the point is that Pentax is aiming for is gradually moving upscale (nearly all cameras other than smart phones are). Build high quality, tightly made products with good ergonomics and pay influencers to rave about how they've been blown away by the connection they felt with their Pentax camera that they never did with their Sony.

I'm not saying this is going to happen, but there is no particular reason that they won't continue to make SLRs and people from other brands who don't like EVFs will head in their direction.