Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
11-26-2021, 04:09 AM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
there is no particular reason that they won't continue to make SLRs
I can think of an obvious one: Pentax is Doomed, didn't you know?

11-26-2021, 04:25 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victordeamorin Quote
I can think of an obvious one: Pentax is Doomed, didn't you know?
I know you are joking, but I do think the next five years are going to be really difficult for all camera brands, not just Pentax. Canon and Sony are having a war. Nikon is doing their best to become relevant. Fuji is saying, "Why go full frame when you can go medium format?"

For all of the talk about how cheap MILCs are to make, there is a lot of tech that goes into them and that requires R and D. All of the new lenses have taken a lot of money to get out there. Playing it conservative and working within your strengths is probably the way to go -- at least if you don't have 100 million dollars to burn.
11-26-2021, 05:04 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, next years will be crucial. Even Leica almost died and now market for ILS is not even shringing or burning, it is right down the black hole, far past event horizon (sorry, I am scifi geek ). Leica found its niche and someone who was willing to pay for it nesting herself in that niche. Will Ricoh fund Pentax niche? It seem so with the Pentax rebuild team that is rumored about.

Interesting times, in a Chinese way I think. Anyway, Pentax getting recognition is a good thing. Especially if it is going with the "last DSLR brand" label as it may actually help a lot.
11-26-2021, 05:58 AM   #49
Pentaxian

I think the point is that Pentax is aiming for is gradually moving upscale (nearly all cameras other than smart phones are). Build high quality, tightly made products with good ergonomics and pay influencers to rave about how they've been blown away by the connection they felt with their Pentax camera that they never did with their Sony.

I'm not saying this is going to happen, but there is no particular reason that they won't continue to make SLRs and people from other brands who don't like EVFs will head in their direction.
Yes, Pentax has a chance of doing exactly that. A good chance, IMO.
And yes, they'd need to do some smart marketing. Because others are doing counter-marketing, including various sites with their dinosaurs allusions.

I don't see anyone else attempting the same. But Pentax, they're doing it.

11-26-2021, 06:03 AM   #50
Pentaxian

For all of the talk about how cheap MILCs are to make, there is a lot of tech that goes into them and that requires R and D. All of the new lenses have taken a lot of money to get out there. Playing it conservative and working within your strengths is probably the way to go -- at least if you don't have 100 million dollars to burn.
It's all relative - MILCs are cheaper than DSLRs.
But the MILC makers are - as you say - having a war; and they're fighting with a brute force approach, trying to win through performance and flooding the market with countless models.
11-26-2021, 06:06 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
And yes, they'd need to do some smart marketing. Because others are doing counter-marketing, including various sites with their dinosaurs allusions.

I don't see anyone else attempting the same. But Pentax, they're doing it.
Isn't that Fuji's approach as well? Not having ttl optical viewfinders does take away a huge chunk of the experience though. But design and ui wise they are trying.
11-30-2021, 11:20 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pts1958 Quote
Il était important qu'ils parlent de Pentax !
It is important for them to talk about Pentax!

11-30-2021, 11:22 AM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
It is important for them to talk about Pentax!
Not sure about that - I'd say, "It's important that they talk about Pentax!".
11-30-2021, 11:24 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not sure about that - I'd say, "It's important that they talk about Pentax!".
Well put!
11-30-2021, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I guess OVF vs EVF is a battle that cannot be won in the long term, as the latter continually improves and the size advantages are obvious.
Size doesn't always matter...

Realism, accuracy and "light neutrality" appearance of analogic SLR vision through a viewfinder cannot be replaced by EVFs.

If you are an intensive shooter and a though finder-viewer, SLR's prism is definitely less harmfull for your vision.

Also, as wildphotographers are concerned, the advantage of a "powerless" vision making thus indefinite observation through the OVF possible, has "no price" in comparison to power-assisted, thus power-depleting EVFs.
12-01-2021, 07:32 AM   #56
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Size doesn't always matter...

Realism, accuracy and "light neutrality" appearance of analogic SLR vision through a viewfinder cannot be replaced by EVFs.

If you are an intensive shooter and a though finder-viewer, SLR's prism is definitely less harmfull for your vision.

Also, as wildphotographers are concerned, the advantage of a "powerless" vision making thus indefinite observation through the OVF possible, has "no price" in comparison to power-assisted, thus power-depleting EVFs.
Very good point, I'll wait until they come up with E-ink display that refreshes only if there is change in the scene
12-01-2021, 08:22 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@Zygonyx, Please correct me if I have misinterpreted this statement. I think you are saying that viewing through an optical viewfinder is less harmful to the eye than viewing an electronic viewfinder.

Several months ago, I was curious about this possibility, and did a fairly deep search online to find any scientific papers that reported on the damaging nature of EVFs, helmet-mounted displays, and other closely-viewed display monitors. I did not find anything. Do you have any references? Thanks.

- Craig
12-01-2021, 11:32 AM   #58
Pentaxian

Yes c.a.m. this paper is quite "enlightning" on the mater :

https://www.pointsdevue.com/article/blue-light-what-are-risks-our-eyes
12-02-2021, 03:49 AM - 1 Like   #59
Pentaxian

Yes c.a.m. this paper is quite "enlightning" on the mater :

https://www.pointsdevue.com/article/blue-light-what-are-risks-our-eyes
Thanks for this link, which is enlightening quite apart from the EVF/OVF issue.
12-03-2021, 06:30 AM   #60
Pentaxian

And yes, they'd need to do some smart marketing. Because others are doing counter-marketing
Every time some one else mentions Pentax’s name, Ricoh can save their cash for other things.
As long as people know that Pentax is still in business, and they still produce good DSLRs,
the job is already partly done.