Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 52 Likes Search this Thread
11-25-2021, 06:39 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I've seen this. While I couldn't call the Pentax K-3 III a professional camera, I couldn't call it a consumer camera either or I have the wrong definition of what consumer is. I'm put the Pentax K-3 III a high-end camera category albeit it being APS-c format.
In the old film days a professional 35mm camera was defined as a camera whose shutter was rated for at least 100 000 exposures. The K-3III is rated for 300 000 exposures....

11-25-2021, 07:47 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
A bit of hyperbole.

DP Review like MILCs and focuses on technical aspect of photography much more than they do on actual image creation. When you look at the images they take for reviews, it is clear that they are average at best. In that sort of a horse race, Pentax cameras will be unlikely to finish first.
At first I wanna agree with you. But I am thinking, does it even matter what you shoot (photographically)? The site is certainly technically oriented, they compare resolutions and noise coming from the same hands (more or less), in a studio or taken outdoors. They shoot people, cars, buildings, sunny streets or ducks in the water... that’ll work fine for their goal.
I have read them oftentimes and I too think they’re a bit biased , not to mention the marketing approach to certain brands. The fact that Pentax comes in a shortlist is great news , given the latter. I would expect similar future references.
11-25-2021, 12:04 PM - 3 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

DPR is a tough case

And there are lots of moving parts here, starting with DNA from Phil Askey and Brit snarkiness, which shades towards mean. He of the infamous "solution looking for a problem" remark dinging Olympus when they premiered the first live view capability.

Then there's Pentax's own awkwardness about marketing, and their conservative position in the market. Clearly a gear site is going to be more interested in technical innovation of the Sony type---although bear in mind that they weren't fans of Sony at first. And then there's video.

To be sure, DPR staffers have not helped themselves (cough, cough, Rishi), and I think the retraction they had to make when Richard Butler had to step in lingers in their minds, and left a sour taste in their mouths, even though it was their own damn fault.

I think Chris has a soft spot for Pentax, even though he seemed to be behind the "gag" of shooting video today with a K-01. He seems to try to look for positive things to say about Pentax, and just seems disappointed about the negatives.

So, I think we have to be thankful whenever something like this new bit of positivity happens. I wish it were different. But I think here I have to blame Pentax---things could be better.
11-25-2021, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Then there's Pentax's own awkwardness about marketing, and their conservative position in the market. Clearly a gear site is going to be more interested in technical innovation of the Sony type---although bear in mind that they weren't fans of Sony at first. And then there's video.
It seems to me they're appreciating mainstream brands, although that could be indeed due to the "gearhead" type of technical innovation you're talking about.
Curiosities are interesting as long as they're of a boutique shop variety. Say, "Yashica", the fake camera; but not Pentax, which is still a competitor for said mainstream brands.

I don't think it's intentional, I don't see any ill intention (except cough cough Rishi) and they might not even realize what is happening.
Or I could be wrong about the whole story. Except for the bias, which is visible.

11-26-2021, 02:19 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I suspect there's so many best of lists in arbitrary categories that they've begun to lose all meaning.
11-26-2021, 02:37 AM   #21
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do look at these lists they come out with and wonder how much of their editorial policy is dictated by Amazon profit margins and wholesale supply deals.
11-26-2021, 07:09 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
I do look at these lists they come out with and wonder how much of their editorial policy is dictated by Amazon profit margins and wholesale supply deals.
That's a perennial suspicion. I not so sure. I'm not necessarily seeing a correlation that's really obvious. Partly because they've shifted around over the years.

11-26-2021, 07:41 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just a list. Nothing to see.
11-26-2021, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The pro vs. consumer category is fairly easily explained IMO - all the cameras in the "pro" list are above $5000 and are aimed, primarily, at people who make money out of photography. How many amateurs shoot with a 1DXiii or a D5? Everything else released this year is in reach of the discerning amateur - regardless of how good the machine is at photography. I don't think anyone would argue that the A7iv isn't a camera good enough for a pro photographer.

Now the actual picks, eh. I have opinions on them .
11-26-2021, 11:33 AM - 3 Likes   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
DPReview posed three classes of cameras: Consumer, High-End, and Stills/Video. I imagine that other categories would have been possible, but I can see the logic of running with a small number. Notably, they didn't title the lists Amateur or Professional, and avoided the equally ill-defined 'enthusiast', 'pro-sumer' or 'entry-level' monikers. Their 2020 awards included Entry-level, Mid-range, High-end, Stills/video, and Compact/fixed lens. So, for 2021, they adapted the categories to reflect the market, although I don't think they indicated their definitions.

Apart from the cameras listed across the categories, 2021 didn't see a lot of new cameras being introduced and it seems that the lists included the main candidates.

For the K-3 Mark III, DPReview had only two choices: shortlist it, or not. I think the latter would have prompted criticisms of bias. On the other hand, the inclusion of the K-3 III also seems to have generated criticisms of DPReview in this thread. No win?

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Now the actual picks, eh. I have opinions on them
I know what you mean.

As one might expect, DPReview's choices are generating lots of counter-choices and side-debate in the comments section (for which I am not suggesting that anyone needs to read). There is no absolute answer when it comes to gear 'competitions' or choices, but the notion of 'this vs that' is alive and well. Even the category titles spark debate. Regardless of the outcome, the choices reflect DPReview's favorites.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 11-26-2021 at 12:11 PM.
11-26-2021, 02:07 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I don't keep track of releases well enough to be able to judge their choices. It's inevitable though that lists such as these are arbitrary and should be viewed as discussion material and click generators. It's entertainment not serious stuff.
11-27-2021, 03:48 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Such lists are always arbitrary, yes. If you know what you want, what's important to you, these awards tell you little, you may have to shift more inclusive surveys.
11-27-2021, 03:50 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

I dont even think they should be considered consumer guidance. More like a means of showing whats happening.
11-27-2021, 06:08 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I dont even think they should be considered consumer guidance. More like a means of showing whats happening.
Yes, that probably is the best way to think about it. They should listen to you and shift their rhetoric about---pretty much instant credibility boost.
11-27-2021, 07:47 AM - 2 Likes   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
Such lists are always arbitrary, yes. If you know what you want, what's important to you, these awards tell you little
The lists are good if they remind people that Pentax is still around and tell people that Pentax still makes DSLR's.