Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2021, 04:24 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
More exposure for Pentax: DPReview Awards 2021, K-3 Mark III shortlisted

Our favorite gear, rewarded: DPReview Awards 2021: Digital Photography Review

In their "Best Consumer Camera" category, they shortlisted the K-3 Mark III, Ricoh GR IIIx, Nikon Z fc, and Sony A7 IV.

Their choice is the Sony A7 IV, with the Nikon as runner-up. They liked the 'fun factor' of the Nikon, but favoured the tech advancements in the Sony.

They didn't comment on either the Pentax or the Ricoh, and I guess it's debatable what constitutes a "consumer" camera. Regardless, more good exposure for Pentax.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 11-24-2021 at 04:59 PM.
11-24-2021, 04:44 PM - 5 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A little tough for me to process "fun" and "2.36M-dot EVF".
11-24-2021, 05:14 PM - 4 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Regardless, more good exposure for Pentax.
They haven't updated their "studio scene" shots with electronic shutter versions yet.

They have not published a proper review yet and were very quick to rush out their piece about blurred images from the K-3 III. Other cameras with an electronic shutter option are represented accordingly in the "studio scene" comparator tool; no such luck for the K-3 III just because the electronic shutter option was not part of the original firmware.

I question whether the publicity provided by DPReview is overall helping Pentax. All of the time, they find something to pick on, blow it out of proportion, and are not quick to fix mistakes/omissions.
11-24-2021, 05:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

DPreview like most other reviewers have their biases.

11-24-2021, 06:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
All of the time, they find something to pick on, blow it out of proportion, and are not quick to fix mistakes/omissions.
In this instance, however, the K-3 Mark III simply appears in a list of four cameras -- it was shortlisted. I think that's a good thing, and better than being excluded.

This Awards 2021 article doesn't comment negatively or positively on the Pentax or most of the other shortlisted cameras, and I didn't see any links to DPReview's other articles on the K-3 III.

- Craig
11-24-2021, 10:59 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is said that all publicity is good. I agree with luftluss, though. I can use a EVF. I love an optical viewfinder. It is hard to see that in print, however.
11-25-2021, 12:32 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Some interesting things in that article.
First, it takes a while to get to photography - smartphones and drones are more important.
Then, one of the potential "best lenses" is a Viltrox rebadged as Tokina. But no room for a genuine Pentax...

The only positive thing is that they didn't exclude Pentax (and Ricoh) completely.

11-25-2021, 01:59 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

If you come to think of it, it is a bit stupid to declare "Sony FE 14mm F1.8 GM" to be the best prime lens. It is not, not because it is not a good lens, but it can only be the best prime lens on a Sony camera with a specific mount. So all their ordeals are hampered by the fact that it is all brand and mount dedicated. Also the consumer vs. the high end distinction can be argued. The Pentax K-3 Mark III is a high-end camera IMNSHO, but an FF sized sensor does not make it a high-end camera, neither does an APS-C camera automatically make it a consumer camera. Seems to me they picked models at random and randomly put them in a category. And if they did not randomly pick the models why are there only a few in each category. Biased?? It is even worse than that: it is not an objective and well argued decision they made, because at forehand they disqualified a huge lot of lenses and camera's that should be taken into account. Perhaps it is best explained by the title "Our favourite gear".
11-25-2021, 02:28 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
it is a bit stupid to declare "Sony FE 14mm F1.8 GM" to be the best prime lens
Especially when the "runner-up" is a Nikon 105mm
How can you declare one of these "better" than the other on any sort of objective criterion ???
Anyway, articles must be published, so that people will click on them...
11-25-2021, 02:33 AM - 3 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

That article is just an ad, people. Nothing to see there, move along.
11-25-2021, 03:16 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
That article is just an ad, people. Nothing to see there, move along.
I don't think they're trying to sell these products, but rather their own content/articles.
Such awards have to reward as many of the larger reader bases they have. Which aligns with DPR's staff own preferences, so we can't be sure how much of which is it.
11-25-2021, 03:27 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think it's fine to have these cameras mentioned. I don't value the same things DP Review reviewers value, but that doesn't mean everything they do is motivated by hatred of Pentax and other smaller brands.
11-25-2021, 04:29 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I've seen this. While I couldn't call the Pentax K-3 III a professional camera, I couldn't call it a consumer camera either or I have the wrong definition of what consumer is. I'm put the Pentax K-3 III a high-end camera category albeit it being APS-c format.
11-25-2021, 04:35 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
that doesn't mean everything they do is motivated by hatred of Pentax and other smaller brands.
I'm not sure anyone said anything about "hatred of Pentax".
11-25-2021, 05:49 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'm not sure anyone said anything about "hatred of Pentax".
A bit of hyperbole.

DP Review like MILCs and focuses on technical aspect of photography much more than they do on actual image creation. When you look at the images they take for reviews, it is clear that they are average at best. In that sort of a horse race, Pentax cameras will be unlikely to finish first.