Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 146 Likes Search this Thread
11-27-2021, 07:33 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
So it shoots a preliminary image and computes the movement from it.
I suppose it does a standard longish exposure to be able to get trails - this fits with the recommendation for O-GPS in case of wide angle (the degree of movement would require a much longer exposure to start computing).

This is brilliant if they get it to work well. It also begs the question of "why has no one else with IBIS done this", but I'm not complaining that Pentax is first

11-27-2021, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Do you have any idea what they mean by "valve shooting" as translated by Google?
Bulb. Written "ba-ru-bu" (in katakana), but the translator isn't aware of the context to transform it into the obvious photographic term.
11-27-2021, 07:43 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you! That Astro Tracer firmware sounds quite interesting! I look forward to it’s launch!
11-27-2021, 07:46 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Bulb. Written "ba-ru-bu" (in katakana), but the translator isn't aware of the context to transform it into the obvious photographic term.
Thanks!

11-27-2021, 08:48 AM - 8 Likes   #20
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks JPT! I attended too, this was the most fun part of the meeting.

GPS-less astrotracing:
You first shoot the image w/o astrotracing and the camera figures out how the sky is moving relative to the camera. Then it will move the sensor in subsequent shots.
This is only coming to K-3III. No luck for other cameras.

This won't replace O-GPS1 (or the upcoming O-GPS2, the MC had to clarify that O-GPS2 will come). Wakashiro-san said that it could fail if the picture includes anything that are not stars, like landscape. Some lenses (e.g. fisheye) aren't good for this either while there's no such limitation for O-GPS devices. Also, though he didn't say this, you'll have to take a "preliminary" shot each time you change the position/angle of your camera.

6 variants of K-3 III and the conversion service:
I was like "wow are you serious?" but they are. Wakashiro-san admitted that there won't be huge demands, but there will be demands nevertheless, and said that they'd like to respond to these demands as far as that won't delay the development of other new products.
  • JET BLACK model (1st attachment).
    • You'll choose the color of PENTAX logo from black, gray and nothing (no letter at all).
    • Also mentioned briefly was the customization of the letters on dials and it was not just colors, you can actually change letters (but this might have been about Gun Metal model, cannot remember).
  • Shallower shutter stroke model. Wakashiro-san explained that somebody who prefers to make many single shots quickly rather than continuous bursts might consider this.
  • Monochrome model. Bayer-less means that this will be a resolution monster.
  • MF model. The mirror is 100% reflective, no AF, no auto exposure, 30% brighter OVF (!).
  • GUN METAL model. Same kind of color as the K-3 Prestige Edition released in the past (2nd attachment). You can specify an illustration on the pentaprism cover. As an example they showed AOCO logo.
  • Astro model. 10 times more sensitive to H-alpha lines (infrared), which is a great feature for capturing nebulae etc.
    • Some concern (vaguely stated as "something that is not good could be captured"). That should mean that PENTAX is worried some perverts will use visible-cut filters to make IR-only images of human body. They're thinking that they only sell to the users who are willing to sign a paper stating that they'll only use it for astro.
  • Conversion service will be offered. It wasn't clear which conversion will be possible except that the MC, Kawauchi-san, said that the sensors cannot be replaced (so I cannot have my K-3III converted to astro or monochrome model even if I wanted).

They will use crowdfunding (they didn't say which one, but most likely Makuake, the same platform they used for PENTAX bino and monocular).
Attached Images

Last edited by kwb; 11-27-2021 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Added photos of color variation.
11-27-2021, 09:23 AM - 6 Likes   #21
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

About the new custom image "Satobi".
I forgot to discuss this one in the previous post.
Devs said this is the polar opposite of "Miyabi" ("Vibrant" in English menu). "Taste of film from 60's and 70's."
Maybe you're like "meh, another SOOC jpeg setting" but many were super excited in the comment section. I think that there are many more jpg shooters in Japan than US and Europe. Anyway, as somebody who prefers RAW shooting, I have to say I'm impressed by this one.

Since they allowed "pictures of the meeting" (but no video capturing) I made some screen shots. Attached first is one of the example shots by Shin-ichi Hanawa, the second one by Keita Sasaki, two pros who discussed this new custom image. Sorry these were captured on my laptop over ZOOM, not the best in quality but you can see what they meant by "film from 60's and 70's", probably better quality ones will be released by Ricoh.

Devs also said that another enhancement in the new FW is that the tone curve will be displayed in custom image menu except for "cross process" and "reversal film" (3rd attachment).
Attached Images

11-27-2021, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
6 variants of K-3 III and the conversion service:
I think that Ricoh Imaging is to be complimented on their creativity and willingness to discuss their ideas in a public forum. While some naysayers might mock the Pentax brand ('What, yet more colour options?' 'Monochrome? Hah, never did like the Pentax colour science' or 'Manual Focus? They should improve their AF'....), these options suggest that the developers are continuing to further refine and finesse the camera. They're thinking about the usability and the little details that make a camera enjoyable to use. I think that the conversion service is particularly notable.

Good on them.

- Craig

11-27-2021, 09:58 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very informative thead

Thank you All!
11-27-2021, 10:17 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Devs said this is the polar opposite of "Miyabi" ("Vibrant" in English menu). "Taste of film from 60's and 70's."
Maybe you're like "meh, another SOOC jpeg setting" but many were super excited in the comment section. I think that there are many more jpg shooters in Japan than US and Europe. Anyway, as somebody who prefers RAW shooting, I have to say I'm impressed by this one.

Since they allowed "pictures of the meeting" (but no video capturing) I made some screen shots. Attached first is one of the example shots by Shin-ichi Hanawa, the second one by Keita Sasaki, two pros who discussed this new custom image. Sorry these were captured on my laptop over ZOOM, not the best in quality but you can see what they meant by "film from 60's and 70's", probably better quality ones will be released by Ricoh.

Devs also said that another enhancement in the new FW is that the tone curve will be displayed in custom image menu except for "cross process" and "reversal film" (3rd attachment).
Oh my, those are gorgeous. I don't suppose you know if it will be rolled out for the KP do you?
11-27-2021, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

He said it is only for the K-3iii
11-27-2021, 10:36 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I, uhhh... yes. Yes yes yes. This looks so gorgeous, it has the exact kind of silky/matte look I love in portraits. I love how they are starting to actually add FW stuff

---------- Post added 11-27-21 at 10:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
He said it is only for the K-3iii
And also for the K-1 according to JPT's thread opener. Hopefully also for the KP, although since it's now officially discontinued...
What is 100% K-3iii only is the GPS-less Astrotracer, but I'm okay with that one to be honest, it does feel like one of those things were the processing power is demanding enough that the K-3iii is the only one capable of doing so properly.
11-27-2021, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wonder if the monochromatic variant would have even better high-ISO performance like what the Leica monochromatic cameras offer over their "normal" sister cameras. Would really have to think about that.

On the MF version, would they offer a focus screen with a split prism and other focusing aids? Losing automatic exposure seems like a big loss... Just sell us a swap-able focusing screen that helps nail manual focus would be my request. Probably more going on here that I don't know about / having considered.
11-27-2021, 11:46 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Am I the only one thinking that spending a couple of years making a new AF system, and then go and ask the public: Hey, would it be cool to make a version of this camera with no AF"? Is ... surprising?
Personally, they would get my attention with a KP ltd. Mono and no AF
11-27-2021, 12:19 PM   #29
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
Am I the only one thinking that spending a couple of years making a new AF system, and then go and ask the public: Hey, would it be cool to make a version of this camera with no AF"? Is ... surprising?
It's more like "would it be cool if the OVF of K-3III, which is brighter and bigger than APS-C bodies in the past, is even 30% brighter so it's easier for MF? Even if that means that there's no AF through OVF?".

I won't disagree, I guess everybody is surprised, but AF is not the only defining feature of K3III, another major one is the bigger and brighter OVF experience. I don't have a need for this one, but I see a logic there.
11-27-2021, 12:21 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
Personally, they would get my attention with a KP ltd. Mono and no AF
They also made an amazing OVF for a crop sensor body. Some would be thrilled to have it even brighter to use with legacy glass, perhaps.