Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 146 Likes Search this Thread
11-27-2021, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As samone who uses PDCU and Pentax colours for RAW development (I think the back screen is a bit too small and not good enough for in camera tweaks) I am really excited about new color setting. I hope it will make its way into PDCU too.

11-27-2021, 01:21 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
It's more like "would it be cool if the OVF of K-3III, which is brighter and bigger than APS-C bodies in the past, is even 30% brighter so it's easier for MF? Even if that means that there's no AF through OVF?".

I won't disagree, I guess everybody is surprised, but AF is not the only defining feature of K3III, another major one is the bigger and brighter OVF experience. I don't have a need for this one, but I see a logic there.
I understand they want to make the most of the viewfinder. But it is like the K3iii have been given two legs to stand on and we have have only just seen it walk - and then they offer to have the left leg cut off to make the right one slightly stronger. Man, that's a big sacrifice - and I'm saying this as someone who don't have AF very high on my list of priorities.
11-27-2021, 01:47 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
These are nice and fun things. Personally I'd prefer a camera with less high contrast markings on it. I tape my logos because it makes the camera more of a contrastless blob and I find the strong contrast of the logo unpleasant when someone else points it at me. I find it more noticeable than the eye of the lens. I guess logos are designed for that.

The new custom image sounds right up my alley unless it's so filmic it looks like a filter.

The manual focus thing sounds super amazing if they'd manage to get just a few out the door. It would certainly be the talk of the town (internet camera nerds). It's not for me though, unless it somehow makes the camera cheaper which i doubt. Thing is that it should be FF camera. There aren't enough Pentax vintage wide angles so you end up with an "equivalent" tele bias which isn't great for manual focus.

Monochrome would work better for a apsc camera as it can successfully use existing DA lenses.

I wonder if the short travel shutter button would be similar to the K-3II one or a better version. I can barely use my K-3II anymore because I find the shutter button so nasty and digital after using deep soft K-1 shutterbutton.

---------- Post added 11-27-21 at 01:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
I understand they want to make the most of the viewfinder. But it is like the K3iii have been given two legs to stand on and we have have only just seen it walk - and then they offer to have the left leg cut off to make the right one slightly stronger. Man, that's a big sacrifice - and I'm saying this as someone who don't have AF very high on my list of priorities.
I don't think dslr af will bring much sales anymore. Sure it's important to improve and develop but it's unlikely to be the selling point. Those who really want the fanciest af will go milc I imagine. Since this gap is widening it may make sense to focus on strenghts which this little talk suggests they intend to do.
11-27-2021, 02:05 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
These are nice and fun things. Personally I'd prefer a camera with less high contrast markings on it. I tape my logos because it makes the camera more of a contrastless blob and I find the strong contrast of the logo unpleasant when someone else points it at me. I find it more noticeable than the eye of the lens. I guess logos are designed for that.

The new custom image sounds right up my alley unless it's so filmic it looks like a filter.
I notice lack of sharpness more than lack of contrast on my old film photos.
I wonder whether people would actually use this new mode - but I guess the only way to determine that is to try it.

11-27-2021, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
K-3 III MF - Manual focus model, no AF sensor, 30% brighter VF, AF still possible in live view
I think this seems more suited for K1, keeping the originally intended FOV of all those old film MF lenses. I would be very intrigued...
11-27-2021, 02:28 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

A little disappointed with the K1 firmware updates.
11-27-2021, 02:37 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Astrotracer without GPS!!? How does it detect the Earth's rotation axis? I'll be interested to see the details.

---------- Post added 28-11-21 at 09:26 AM ----------

I attended the Pentax Meeting today. It was a fan event to celebrate the 102nd anniversary of the brand. I just have time to write a post about a part of it right now, so I’ll focus on the part about the evolution of the K-3.

Future K-3 III variants
This was unusual. Wakashiro-san described six ideas for variants on the K-3 III and wanted to get feedback on them.
1. K-3 III Jet black - All black, almost like one of those computers keyboards with no markings at all
2. K-3 Shutter change model - A variant with a different feel to the shutter release
3. K-3 III Monochrome - No bayer filter model
4. K-3 III MF - Manual focus model, no AF sensor, 30% brighter VF, AF still possible in live view
5. K-3 III Gun metal - Basically like the K-3 prestige editions, with customizable markings on the prism, such as the AOCO mark
6. K-3 III Astro - Sensor filter changed to enable better astro photography (like other brands do)
They had a poll of attendees to see idea which sounds most attractive, and the two winners were the monochrome and the jet black model. But most ideas had their supporters. Some of them might be available as upgrades/mods for existing users (1, 2, 5). It’s also possible that they might use Kickstarter to gauge interest (note that Pentax did that successfully with a novel pair of binoculars before).
The K3iii variant that makes most sense from the point of view of attracting users is one with a flippy screen, perhaps like on the K1, even at the expense of a deeper body. The K3iiif.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 11-27-2021 at 03:30 PM.
11-27-2021, 03:26 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks again to OP.

The no bayer monochrome would be cool.
11-27-2021, 03:29 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Thanks again to OP.

The no bayer monochrome would be cool.
So that gives both higher resolution (all pixels equivalent) and higher sensitivity (not throwing away light not of required colour)?
11-27-2021, 03:37 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
So that gives both higher resolution (all pixels equivalent) and higher sensitivity (not throwing away light not of required colour)?
That is certainly the theory. How cool would that be!
11-27-2021, 03:39 PM - 3 Likes   #41
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
But it is like the K3iii have been given two legs to stand on and we have have only just seen it walk - and then they offer to have the left leg cut off to make the right one slightly stronger. Man, that's a big sacrifice -
Normal K-3III with its AF intact won't go anywhere, it's still the main product without sacrificing anything regardless of the variants.

However, if enough people are willing to pay, this will be produced no matter what non-buyers will think about it, even if these non-buyers are a super majority. That's the beauty of this kind of projects on crowdsourcing platform. If they think they can make money that way, more powers to them! I don't mind them making whatever variants they'd like to make even if some or even all of them don't interest me personally.
11-27-2021, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
Normal K-3III with its AF intact won't go anywhere, it's still the main product without sacrificing anything regardless of the variants.

However, if enough people are willing to pay, this will be produced no matter what non-buyers will think about it, even if these non-buyers are a super majority.
This.

It strikes me as brilliant marketing, the more I ruminate on it.
Pentax has clearly put a lot of resources into their OVF, and is targeting buyers who value that. The MF special edition would spawn new articles about 'how this weird limited edition camera provides the best viewfinder experience you can get.' That article would probably be in the search results of anyone who is Googling why their mirrorless EVF experience is lackluster (I'm not saying it always is for everybody, just that Pentax clearly wants the folks who might think so). I think that would put Pentax in more people's minds, even if they wind up buying the regular version. Classic accentuation of the positive.
It would also be throwing a bone to Pentax vintage glass users, who probably make up a decent percentage of their fans if this website is any indicator.

All that for something that probably doesn't require too much engineering or manufacturing heartburn at all.
11-27-2021, 06:24 PM   #43
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
kwb - Thanks for clarifying what I heard and adding some details. The part I was not clear on was how firm the plan is to bring the variation models to market is. From what you say, it seems they are pretty serious about it.

One theme that was throughout the sessions enjoying the photographic process, from the Pentax brand statement. The idea to have a version without AF is that for some people manual focus is part of the process and they would want a model tailored to that. I think there is zero possibility that they would backtrack on AF improvements. It's just a special edition for people who want more light to the viewfinder, and on the slide it mention different coatings for the prism.
11-27-2021, 09:00 PM   #44
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kwb - Thanks for clarifying what I heard and adding some details. The part I was not clear on was how firm the plan is to bring the variation models to market is. From what you say, it seems they are pretty serious about it.
No I thank you, after the event I was so sleepy I couldn't write anything before going to bed but I was sure that you'll be writing a good summary.

Yes they are pretty serious, though I'm sure they will use the comments they received during the event and the questionnaire they'll be sending us today to prioritize and/or modify the plan.
QuoteQuote:
One theme that was throughout the sessions enjoying the photographic process, from the Pentax brand statement. The idea to have a version without AF is that for some people manual focus is part of the process and they would want a model tailored to that. I think there is zero possibility that they would backtrack on AF improvements.
Well said!
11-28-2021, 03:01 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Quite interesting that Pentax wants to differentiate by adding „soft“ features. Jet black, shutter feel, …they did different colors before. Hard features would be a no Bayer sensor. The brand is moving towards high quality and collectors features, not towards features loaded derivatives. Smart move. Increase margins and bring out good gear at Pentax pace.