Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2021, 04:02 AM   #46

Photos: Albums
K-3 III Monochrome - a No Bayer Filter model ! :)

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I attended the Pentax Meeting today. It was a fan event to celebrate the 102nd anniversary of the brand. I just have time to write a post about a part of it right now, so I’ll focus on the part about the evolution of the K-3...

Future K-3 III variants
This was unusual. Wakashiro-san described six ideas for variants on the K-3 III and wanted to get feedback on them.
1. K-3 III Jet black
2. K-3 III Shutter changed
3. K-3 III Monochrome - No bayer filter model
4. K-3 III MF
5. K-3 III Gun metal
6. K-3 III Astro - Sensor filter changed to enable better astro photography (like other brands do)
They had a poll of attendees to see idea which sounds most attractive, and the 2 winners were the Monochrome and the jet black model...
That's 2 very interesting ideas !

Especially if Pentax drops its " accelerator unit " ; please, no more NR baked in Raw files !

I was posting about Monochrome Sensors on that thread :
From RGB to Mono, by how much is the IQ improved ? I-R Test Simulation

with 2 Simulations of what could be the Image Quality of a Mono-APSC :
From RGB to Mono, by how much is the IQ improved ? DPR Test Simulation

Both Tests Simulations are Full-Sized.

Let's hope they will achieve at least 1 of these 2 ideas ?

wait & see...

Last edited by geo444; 11-28-2021 at 04:12 AM.
11-28-2021, 05:28 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geo444 Quote
That's 2 very interesting ideas !

Especially if Pentax drops its " accelerator unit " ; please, no more NR baked in Raw

……………..

Let's hope they will achieve at least 1 of these 2 ideas ?

wait & see...
There was no mention of the ‘accelerator’; perhaps they didn’t want to talk about it, but I believe ditching it is mostly a Western idea.
“Baked in” simply means no easy way of reversing its affects - it is like shutter speed or focus.

I happen to like it.

Last edited by reh321; 11-28-2021 at 05:33 AM.
11-28-2021, 05:41 AM - 1 Like   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Astrotracer without GPS!!? How does it detect the Earth's rotation axis? I'll be interested to see the details.

---------- Post added 28-11-21 at 09:26 AM ----------

It looks like it takes an initial photo and determines the rotation/movement from the star trails in that one.
Something akin to the digital shake reduction on some compacts.

Then, when you take the "real" photo, it compensates with the sensor movement.

-Eric
11-28-2021, 05:44 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
1. K-3 III Jet black - All black, almost like one of those computers keyboards with no markings at all
2. K-3 Shutter change model - A variant with a different feel to the shutter release
3. K-3 III Monochrome - No bayer filter model
4. K-3 III MF - Manual focus model, no AF sensor, 30% brighter VF, AF still possible in live view
5. K-3 III Gun metal - Basically like the K-3 prestige editions, with customizable markings on the prism, such as the AOCO mark
6. K-3 III Astro - Sensor filter changed to enable better astro photography (like other brands do)
7. K-3III TS - tilting screen

I vote for K-3 III Monochrome and new K-1III Monochrome. Jet Black and Gun Metal are good colours.

Last edited by borisII; 11-28-2021 at 06:07 AM.
11-28-2021, 06:07 AM - 2 Likes   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
There was no mention of the ‘accelerator’; perhaps they didn’t want to talk about it, but I believe ditching it is mostly a Western idea.
“Baked in” simply means no easy way of reversing its affects - it is like shutter speed or focus.

I happen to like it.
Like shutter speed and focus, then, it should be a feature you can turn off if you don't want it and on if you do.
11-28-2021, 06:08 AM   #51
Pentaxian

To do without AF, and with a different mirror as a result, would that require anything else to be changed - or just disabled? I.e. would it just be the mirror?
11-28-2021, 06:28 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
To do without AF, and with a different mirror as a result, would that require anything else to be changed - or just disabled? I.e. would it just be the mirror?
The ‘AF’ firmware might just be disabled, but I doubt if they would include the ‘AF’ hardware.
It would not be required, but it would probably be done; a simple “assembly line” omission.

11-28-2021, 06:33 AM - 1 Like   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
Like shutter speed and focus, then, it should be a feature you can turn off if you don't want it and on if you do.
You can turn ‘AF’ off - but there will always be some kind of focus “baked in”. Some smart phones allow one to change the focus from the one “baked in”, but I doubt if Pentax will allow something like that - and I wouldn’t want that either.
11-28-2021, 11:09 AM   #54
Pentaxian

K-3 III MF is rather strange idea. Make big VF in K-1III and use MF...
11-28-2021, 02:44 PM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I wonder if the monochromatic variant would have even better high-ISO performance like what the Leica monochromatic cameras offer over their "normal" sister cameras. Would really have to think about that.

On the MF version, would they offer a focus screen with a split prism and other focusing aids? Losing automatic exposure seems like a big loss... Just sell us a swap-able focusing screen that helps nail manual focus would be my request. Probably more going on here that I don't know about / having considered.
It should offer somewhat better ISO performance, yes (IMO) and special focus screen would be nice for MF version although, you might lose spot metering ('cos unreliable with slow lenses)
11-28-2021, 02:44 PM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by borisII Quote
K-3 III MF is rather strange idea. Make big VF in K-1III and use MF...
Agree. If modded cam with only MF, let's it be the K1.
11-28-2021, 03:13 PM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Agree. If modded cam with only MF, let's it be the K1.
Precisely my thoughts. Vintage shooters may appreciate the small size of apsc though. K1 is big for most vintage glass.
11-28-2021, 03:18 PM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Precisely my thoughts. Vintage shooters may appreciate the small size of apsc though. K1 is big for most vintage glass.
but the K-1 was 'built for' the focal lengths implemented by vintage glass.
For example, 50mm really is not a 'normal' lens on a "APS-C" camera - I've use a 28mm lens mostly on my K-30.
11-28-2021, 04:04 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
you might lose spot metering ('cos unreliable with slow lenses)
I would think if they designed the focusing screen and spot meter to work together, they should be able to eliminate or minimize that issue.
I was thinking it was only related to aftermarket screens that were unaccounted for in the original design. No?
11-28-2021, 04:12 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That 30%* loss implied through the semi-silvered reflex mirror is a little astounding. We gave up a lot for AF, didn’t we? No wonder that the older SLR viewfinders look so attractive.

* 30% brighter viewfinder image, so the loss is something like 23% I think.