Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2021, 03:26 AM   #166
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
There's angst at anything Pentax is doing, even when they release some of their best products. And the small things always generate angst, as "why didn't they do <big thing> instead?" - as if they'd be the same.
Part of it is their fault though, as there are many issues Pentax is taking their time to address.
True enough.

12-02-2021, 03:35 AM - 1 Like   #167
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There's angst at anything Pentax is doing, even when they release some of their best products. And the small things always generate angst, as "why didn't they do <big thing> instead?" - as if they'd be the same.
Part of it is their fault though, as there are many issues Pentax is taking their time to address.
I think people tend to compare Pentax's output to Canon/Nikon/Sony and particularly since the launching of their new mounts, there have been a large number of new lenses and bodies released by them. I also think that there isn't always the care for detail taken with those releases. Some are very good, but there is the knowledge that if they screw up Camera A's specifications they can release a Mark II version of it in 12 months that will fix them. Pentax has no such luxury and so has to take more time refining things before release.

I still appreciate the care given to their cameras and lenses. They suit me well.
12-02-2021, 03:38 AM - 1 Like   #168
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It’s almost like they’re operating as if we were in another, earlier era, when camera development was slow, and photographers were as concerned about film characteristics and technique as they were about photographic gear. I remember that era with a certain fondness, but it certainly isn’t the one we’re living in. Maybe there’s a greater nostalgia for it in the Japanese market.
12-02-2021, 03:47 AM   #169
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think people tend to compare Pentax's output to Canon/Nikon/Sony and particularly since the launching of their new mounts, there have been a large number of new lenses and bodies released by them. I also think that there isn't always the care for detail taken with those releases. Some are very good, but there is the knowledge that if they screw up Camera A's specifications they can release a Mark II version of it in 12 months that will fix them. Pentax has no such luxury and so has to take more time refining things before release.
The problem is, a series of shortcomings kept me wanting to upgrade - and I ended up paying more on that than if I'd had some other brand. Particularly in performance, and that's the one thing the K-1 doesn't give me. I admit being somewhat anxious myself, would the K-1iii be it? I mean, I don't need world-class, reviews-winning performance... just a good AF, reasonable FPS and better card write speeds...
If I had such a K-1iii already I could leisurely wait for, perhaps even not thinking about the next model. Pentax' slow pace would no longer matter.

I still appreciate the care given to their cameras and lenses. They suit me well.
Indeed; this is why I'm still a Pentaxian.

12-02-2021, 03:51 AM   #170
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The problem is, a series of shortcomings kept me wanting to upgrade - and I ended up paying more on that than if I'd had some other brand. Particularly in performance, and that's the one thing the K-1 doesn't give me. I admit being somewhat anxious myself, would the K-1iii be it? I mean, I don't need world-class, reviews-winning performance... just a good AF, reasonable FPS and better card write speeds...
If I had such a K-1iii already I could leisurely wait for, perhaps even not thinking about the next model. Pentax' slow pace would no longer matter.

Indeed; this is why I'm still a Pentaxian.
We are on the same page. I would probably be satisfied with a K-1 II with next generation SD card support, better buffer, the K-3 III's auto focus algorithms and a sensor that could do 6-ish fps. I don't think that's enough for the market to be satisfied, but it's a start.

I think the question is what things Pentax can throw into such a camera to separate it from the MILCs out there -- other than a high quality OVF.
12-02-2021, 03:55 AM - 1 Like   #171
Pentaxian

If I had such a K-1iii already I could leisurely wait for, perhaps even not thinking about the next model.
I would probably be satisfied with a K-1 II with next generation SD card support, better buffer, the K-3 III's auto focus algorithms and a sensor that could do 6-ish fps.
Such denial
What about the 'next big thing' then, you know, the one we don't know we need yet, but will definitely be holding us back to make good pictures, 4-5 years from now?
12-02-2021, 03:56 AM   #172
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
It’s almost like they’re operating as if we were in another, earlier era, when camera development was slow, and photographers were as concerned about film characteristics and technique as they were about photographic gear. I remember that era with a certain fondness, but it certainly isn’t the one we’re living in. Maybe there’s a greater nostalgia for it in the Japanese market.
I hope there is, and I hope it will pay out.

The others' "let's kill each other in specs wars", it's not a game Pentax can play. I hope things will slow down a bit, that we'd have no more victims - and Pentax will be able to keep up.

12-02-2021, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #173
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by victordeamorin Quote
Such denial
What about the 'next big thing' then, you know, the one we don't know we need yet, but will definitely be holding us back to make good pictures, 4-5 years from now?
Easier to wait for with the K-1iii in your camera bag

I'm not fooling myself, I am what's holding me back from making good pictures. But I also tried some BIFs and other moving subjects... and other cameras are simply more responsive.
12-02-2021, 04:08 AM - 1 Like   #174
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
(...) It actually seems strange to me that in all the years DSLR have been produced, noone has made a monochrome model. If noting else, it will add to the uniqueness of K-mount.
Hasselblad and Phase One have.

Hasselblad, Leica, Phase One monochrome cameras: the niche (monochrome) in the niches (medium format / rangefinder / high-end compact cameras).
12-02-2021, 05:11 AM   #175
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That will return, to some extent as digital technology hits the diminishing returns wall. at the moment, Sony, Canon and Nikon are in an arms race here their flagships and even second tier are getting well beyond most people's budgets (even if Nikon's Z9 is no more that the D6) because they realise ho important it is to have press photographers visibly using their kit and 'influencers' raving about it - but the main improvement now is in the ability to capture moving subjects rather than the quality of the images captured, and soon that ill peak too, and people ill keep their cameras longer because the improvements offered simply aren't worth the replacement cost. - until some other really useful breakthrough tech emerges.

so, I would expect things to calm don soon for all the manufacturers. Probably
12-02-2021, 05:52 AM   #176
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Hasselblad and Phase One have.

Hasselblad, Leica, Phase One monochrome cameras: the niche (monochrome) in the niches (medium format / rangefinder / high-end compact cameras).
Ah. I forgot about them. To be honest, those cameras kind of live in a different part of my brain because they are so niche, expensive and rare. I was thinking about the major mounts like Nikon, Canon and Sony. I don't think there is a mirrorless ILC camera with a monochrome sensor either, with the exception of M-mount. Anyway, the point remains that a monochrome K-mount camera would be something quite unique.
12-02-2021, 06:51 AM   #177
Pentaxian

Thanks for the report!

Well it seems that they have figured out a way to do Astrotracer not only without calibration, but also without the need for GPS at all.
If they can do that, it means any camera with built-in stabilization should be able to. I'm curious.

4. K-3 III MF - Manual focus model, no AF sensor, 30% brighter VF, AF still possible in live view
That would be a hybrid between a DSLR and a mirrorless then. With better live view AF, this could prove interesting.
12-02-2021, 08:57 AM   #178
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How can AF still be possible in live view? Are there 2 AF mechanisms in the body?
12-02-2021, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #179
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
How can AF still be possible in live view? Are there 2 AF mechanisms in the body?
Yes?
The OVF mode is using the dedicated AF module, situated under the mirrors - and this is supposed to be removed in the manual focus camera.
The Live View/video mode is focusing directly on the main sensor. They can simply keep the AF motor, and the lens AF power contacts.
12-02-2021, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #180
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We are too used to a frenetic development pace.
Maybe you want to spend your money that often - I don't.