Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2021, 12:01 PM - 2 Likes   #181

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I’ll explain the Q&A part of the Pentax Meeting event in this post. When registering to attend the session, there was a space to add a question to the product planning team. Obviously with 2000+ attendees, it wasn’t possible to answer every question one by one, but they grouped them together to come up with the top three themes. They were pretty much what you’d expect, so hunting up from the 3rd to the 1st most common question, here is how they responded to them.

Q. Is there going to be a successor to the KP or K-70
A. Right now they’d really like us to buy the K-3 III - they were smiling as they said this. However, they realize it’s important to have a more accessible model, because there needs to be an attainable way for beginners to experience a DSLR. Beyond that they didn’t say anything specific, but we can assume there will be a low or mid-range APS-C camera at some point.

Q. What lenses are coming?
A. They started by apologizing that it had taken so long to deliver on the roadmap. They are working on the remaining lenses, but that is not all. They are also working on several lenses that are not on the roadmap, and some of these might come out before the roadmapped items. Reading between the lines, I get the feeling they don’t want to put new things on the roadmap unless they are really sure they can deliver. They asked users for ideas for what lens they’d like, and the 135mm and super telephoto seemed to be the most requested in the Zoom chat.

Q. What about the next full frame camera?
A. For a start, the K-1 II is their full frame model for time being. It is getting a firmware update in December to add a new custom image mode. It doesn’t look like it will be replaced in the immediate future. They talked about how difficult and how long it would take to come out with a model with a new prism like the K-3 III. It sounds like the expectation of a full frame version K-3 III with the prism of K-1 II is the most realistic.

They also have other ideas for cameras like a model with the same body design as the K-1 but a lower resolution to enable faster operation. They also mentioned the idea of a full frame manual model, which could be a lot smaller than the K-1 by removing some of the automation. It was interesting to hear that the designers do really think about some of the more out-of-the-box ideas, like people discuss on the forums.

Other parts of the event today
- A showcase of the DFA21mm Limited. They did this by having five of the developers go out and take pictures with the lens that they think are both good images and that illustrate something the think is characteristic of the lens. This brought up various stories about the development of the lens. Then they asked the audience to vote for the the best set. It was quite a good way to talk about the lens and show that the designers are keen photographers themselves.
- Showing the winners of a photo contest
- A video made with user submitted photos of their cameras. It was done like a 102 version of the Pentax 100 video they did two years ago.
- A giveaway of cool display of the individual lens elements of the DFA21 Limited, like a real version of a lens element diagram in a glass case. The contest itself was a bit of a shambles though.
- The new President Noboru Akahane closed with a speech at the end. It was just a nice closing speech. He didn’t really say much about strategy or anything like that.

Obviously, this was an engagement event, nova product announcement. The main feeling was of a company trying to be close to its customers and trying to listen. I honestly thought they would show a mock-up of a lens or two, but it was a not an event like a press conference. We probably have to wait for something more public like CP+ for that
After the meeting, Pentax sent a questionnaire with up to 25(or more?) questions, and it also collects addresses from attendees to send the "E" hot shoe cover gift to. In these questions Pentax again reiterated its desire to listen to users' suggestions for future products, their expectations, and the budget they were willing to pay. I also answered the questionnaire, and in one of the questions I mentioned that the most important things to me about the FF model are superior IQ, pixels, a stable and reliable system, and comprehensive and easy handling, while the need for high speed AF and light weight could be fulfilled by the successor to K3iii. -- if they can’t put all of these things into one body...

11-30-2021, 12:05 PM   #182
Veteran Member

Wonder if the 645Z replacement will have a pelical mirror and some kind of hybrid viewfinder? If you are going to do it then the most expensive model would be the one to choose.
11-30-2021, 12:41 PM   #183
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Which 3 separate lines of products?
Why are APS-C and FF separate? APS-C cameras can use FF lenses without any penalty (other than, perhaps, size and price). Electronics are shared. R&D resources and fabs are shared. Distribution channels are shared.
If Pentax were to release a "FF" camera with something like 54mp, and charge less than $1000 for it, then perhaps there would no longer be any reason for their "APS-C" line;
Nikon users proclaimed their D850 as being the 'camera for all users' - all those who could afford its price-tag that is.
If I mount a DA 55-300mm lens on my KP camera, the subject covers all 24mp of pixels; only ~15mp are covered if I mount the same lens on a K-1, even though the K-1 costs more than twice what the KP does. Yes, the K-mount is shared between "FF" and "APS-C" camera bodies, but their pixels are a non-ignorable difference.

That is a difference that some of us just cannot ignore, and would not ignore if Pentax dropped their "APS-C" line.
11-30-2021, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #184
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
My approach is that I would not complain about potential negatives (Pentax' survival in particular) until there's at least some hint those might actually happen.
The logic is simple: I want Pentax to survive; I like their products and I'm not done buying new ones. By "what-if-they-die?"-ing, I'd be spreading FUD, and FUD means actively trying to hurt said brand. Trying to hurt the brand you want to survive, how does that makes sense?

Mode generally, I try not to hurt possibilities. I gain nothing from doing so, but someone might lose.
I think we’re on much the same page, with this.

11-30-2021, 01:14 PM   #185
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
Wonder if the 645Z replacement will have a pelical mirror and some kind of hybrid viewfinder? If you are going to do it then the most expensive model would be the one to choose.
I guess the K-3III was expensive but still it's apsc is the cheapest format. I say this because I think, someone feel free to correct me, that there is a bit of a trend in trying new features in apsc models? New features such as special prism etc.

I also wonder if medium format shooters are the ones most likely to enjoy a information filled viewfinder.
11-30-2021, 01:22 PM   #186
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
If Pentax were to release a "FF" camera with something like 54mp, and charge less than $1000 for it, then perhaps there would no longer be any reason for their "APS-C" line;
Nikon users proclaimed their D850 as being the 'camera for all users' - all those who could afford its price-tag that is.
If I mount a DA 55-300mm lens on my KP camera, the subject covers all 24mp of pixels; only ~15mp are covered if I mount the same lens on a K-1, even though the K-1 costs more than twice what the KP does. Yes, the K-mount is shared between "FF" and "APS-C" camera bodies, but their pixels are a non-ignorable difference.

That is a difference that some of us just cannot ignore, and would not ignore if Pentax dropped their "APS-C" line.
The only sub-$1000 FF camera in the market that isn't ancient (looking at the first two Sony A7 generations) is the EOS RP, and that one compromises a lot on several fronts; it's a worse camera than the APS-C 90D (or even the EOS M6ii) in several aspects. Such a cheap FF body won't happen any time soon in Pentax land.

The DA 55-300 covers almost the 36MP on the K-1 at the 200-300mm lengths, so for some subject sizes and distances you might be better off with the lens on the K-1, if resolution is what you're looking for.
11-30-2021, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #187
Pentaxian

A 55-300 on the K1 in 1:1 crop mode is rather a good solution.

11-30-2021, 01:38 PM   #188
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Hearsay? Yes. Reviews? Yes. My wants and needs versus what is? Yes.

How else do I make the buying decision? Are you suggesting I simply invest $2000 without reading and investigating first? I am a retired schoolteacher. In the U.S. retired schoolteachers are not rolling in discretionary funds to be spent without due consideration.

I understand that there is a lot of love for the K-3-3, and I am truly happy for those who have bought one and are thrilled with the camera and its performance. But there also seems to be some less enthusiastic praise (including our own forum's 8.8 score) for the camera. I simply submit that the "latest and greatest" camera, which sells at the "latest and greatest" price, should meet or exceed all the specs of all the other similar cameras. The newest and most expensive should be the best at every checkpoint.
I doubt that anyone here would do otherwise, when it comes to shelling out that amount of money. Even those in the happy situation of not having to worry too much about such expenditure would no doubt do the same.

On the matter of criticisms of the K-3iii, the PF Staff Review was brought down below 9 on two counts only, Value and Video. Value is subjective, even though price is a factor. I suspect that, if the camera had included a movable rear screen, it would have improved on that score, and a built-in GPS probably would have confirmed it. Personally, I’d have preferred both to be included, but the improvement over the K-3 is more than sufficient for me to justify the purchase to myself.

Nonetheless, PF members who have purchased the K-3iii rate it more highly at an average of 9.75, currently. The only 8 that it scored was because of a particular requirement (buffer size and speed).

I must say, though, that I disagree about any new product being “the best at every checkpoint”, though I would agree about it being “the best at everything that I want it to be”, especially when at least part of the “best” assessment can be subjective (such as ergonomics) and not strictly measurable objectively.
11-30-2021, 01:46 PM   #189
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Hearsay? Yes. Reviews? Yes. My wants and needs versus what is? Yes.

How else do I make the buying decision? Are you suggesting I simply invest $2000 without reading and investigating first? I am a retired schoolteacher. In the U.S. retired schoolteachers are not rolling in discretionary funds to be spent without due consideration.

I understand that there is a lot of love for the K-3-3, and I am truly happy for those who have bought one and are thrilled with the camera and its performance. But there also seems to be some less enthusiastic praise (including our own forum's 8.8 score) for the camera. I simply submit that the "latest and greatest" camera, which sells at the "latest and greatest" price, should meet or exceed all the specs of all the other similar cameras. The newest and most expensive should be the best at every checkpoint.
On the evidence of several PF members, I am completely convinced that the K-3iii's AF is significantly better at photographing flying birds than my KP is.
On the evidence of my looking at my checkbook, I am completely convinced that I cannot afford it.
I don't depend on reviewers. because I learned years ago that their conclusions don't depend on the matters that are important to me - I do listened to their facts, though.
11-30-2021, 01:49 PM   #190
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I guess the K-3III was expensive but still it's apsc is the cheapest format. I say this because I think, someone feel free to correct me, that there is a bit of a trend in trying new features in apsc models? New features such as special prism etc.

I also wonder if medium format shooters are the ones most likely to enjoy a information filled viewfinder.
I suspect Ricoh were developing the hybrid viewfinder with the aim of combining high RI glass, pelical mirror and OVF display but have come to the realisation that it adds significantly to the cost. Therefore the lower tier lines makes it cost prohibitive. With 645z an extra$1-2k would be irrelevant for example.
The larger OVF on medium format would allow plenty of room for focus peaking, histograms and image review etc.

Last edited by BROO; 11-30-2021 at 01:54 PM.
11-30-2021, 02:11 PM   #191
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Many thanks to JPT and also kwb for the contribution here.
Which ever way they go I'll be happy, Pentax bring out great camera gear.
The manual camera, yes very interested in that.
11-30-2021, 02:18 PM   #192
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
"If" as in "if the pigs would start flying", right?

I'm not talking about the "trying to kill/replace each other" kind of "shared". I'm talking about the formats supporting and strengthening each other. Things would become more expensive for Pentax, if they were to support only part of their user base - say, only the K-1 owners.
As for the lenses, you could e.g. decide you'd prefer the extra "reach" given by the K-3iii's higher pixel density sensor, or be pleasantly surprised that some of your APS-C lenses don't even need cropping on a K-1.
11-30-2021, 02:30 PM - 1 Like   #193

No FF replacement in the near future? Hmmmm ... what does that mean? No new FF 2022? Or even 2023 or 2024?

BTW - I have absolutely zero need for the K3-III prism in a K-1 III. I think the view finder in K-1 is more than enough.

And, less pixels? Why? Why not then an APS-C camera? Then you will get less pixels. And the speed that that gives.

What I want is a K-1 III with the same AF technology as in K-3 III, rather more pixels than less.

I think the answers I read was extremely disappointing. Maybe a MILC camera is not all that bad after all. Unfortunately the Nikon are so ugly.
11-30-2021, 02:59 PM - 2 Likes   #194
Pentaxian

Everyone seems to believe , take for real , Nov 27 Q&A. This was probably a marketing exercise from Ricoh Imaging to sense customers reactions to certain topics, and also use such meeting Q&A to keep "brand share of mind" up while there is no new camera ready for release now.
If there is a full frame camera, it's probably being designed already. If the next camera is apsc, it's being designed already. It's rather naive to believe that a camera company can stop camera engineering works for a while and resume activities later, simply because their have engineers who cost money, and they can't afford to cross fingers for 6 months, one year, two years, until the company decides to design a new camera. This Q&A entertains customers who can't see what company internal engineering works never stop.
11-30-2021, 03:08 PM   #195

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I’ll explain the Q&A part of the Pentax Meeting event in this post. When registering to attend the session, there was a space to add a question to the product planning team. Obviously with 2000+ attendees, it wasn’t possible to answer every question one by one, but they grouped them together to come up with the top three themes. They were pretty much what you’d expect, so hunting up from the 3rd to the 1st most common question, here is how they responded to them.

Q. Is there going to be a successor to the KP or K-70
A. Right now they’d really like us to buy the K-3 III - they were smiling as they said this. However, they realize it’s important to have a more accessible model, because there needs to be an attainable way for beginners to experience a DSLR. Beyond that they didn’t say anything specific, but we can assume there will be a low or mid-range APS-C camera at some point.

Q. What lenses are coming?
A. They started by apologizing that it had taken so long to deliver on the roadmap. They are working on the remaining lenses, but that is not all. They are also working on several lenses that are not on the roadmap, and some of these might come out before the roadmapped items. Reading between the lines, I get the feeling they don’t want to put new things on the roadmap unless they are really sure they can deliver. They asked users for ideas for what lens they’d like, and the 135mm and super telephoto seemed to be the most requested in the Zoom chat.

Q. What about the next full frame camera?
A. For a start, the K-1 II is their full frame model for time being. It is getting a firmware update in December to add a new custom image mode. It doesn’t look like it will be replaced in the immediate future. They talked about how difficult and how long it would take to come out with a model with a new prism like the K-3 III. It sounds like the expectation of a full frame version K-3 III with the prism of K-1 II is the most realistic.

They also have other ideas for cameras like a model with the same body design as the K-1 but a lower resolution to enable faster operation. They also mentioned the idea of a full frame manual model, which could be a lot smaller than the K-1 by removing some of the automation. It was interesting to hear that the designers do really think about some of the more out-of-the-box ideas, like people discuss on the forums.

Other parts of the event today
- A showcase of the DFA21mm Limited. They did this by having five of the developers go out and take pictures with the lens that they think are both good images and that illustrate something the think is characteristic of the lens. This brought up various stories about the development of the lens. Then they asked the audience to vote for the the best set. It was quite a good way to talk about the lens and show that the designers are keen photographers themselves.
- Showing the winners of a photo contest
- A video made with user submitted photos of their cameras. It was done like a 102 version of the Pentax 100 video they did two years ago.
- A giveaway of cool display of the individual lens elements of the DFA21 Limited, like a real version of a lens element diagram in a glass case. The contest itself was a bit of a shambles though.
- The new President Noboru Akahane closed with a speech at the end. It was just a nice closing speech. He didn’t really say much about strategy or anything like that.

Obviously, this was an engagement event, nova product announcement. The main feeling was of a company trying to be close to its customers and trying to listen. I honestly thought they would show a mock-up of a lens or two, but it was a not an event like a press conference. We probably have to wait for something more public like CP+ for that
I missed the meeting in November but hope this will get to the correct people.

As a freelance photographer, I often use two cameras. While one is not being used, it is hanging down to my side. The one in idle state unknowingly changes something when it rubs on my side. I loved it when Pentax put a lock or unlock switch on the mode button but that doesn't stop the "joystick" buttons, apature dial, speed dial, and menu button, from being changed. This has caused me to lose several good shots being I have to stop and correct things. A couple of times things changed that I had not idea how to fix until I got home and looked in the manual.

Can someone from Pentax find or make a control or switch or button that is protected from all "bumps" and rubbing, and will LOCK all the settings until the operator unlocks the control? This could be a control or a software modification, or whatever is needed. It would be easy to unlock the control make any needed correction then lock it again when needed.