Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2021, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
Not sure I got it right about manual focus DSLR. Does that mean it never focus automatically or it may focus automatically with modern lenses (focus motor built in) and manual otherwise?
It means that there is no AF except for in live view directly on the sensor (as I understand it). This makes for 30% brighter viewfinder (the main point with this I think) as there is no light that needs to be reflected to the AF module. Whether or not this AF is possible only with lenses with built in motors remains to be seen, but it is not unlikely as it makes it possible to make a smaller camera without the built in AF motor.

11-27-2021, 09:40 AM   #17

JPT, thanks for the report. It's good to hear that lens development continues even if it it not on the roadmap. I do worry, however, that developing niche products (even more niche than Pentax itself) such as multiple full-frame models with fewer features or lower resolution may lead to profit losses. I suppose they worry about that, too.
11-27-2021, 09:44 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Whether or not this AF is possible only with lenses with built in motors remains to be seen, but it is not unlikely as it makes it possible to make a smaller camera without the built in AF motor.
Unless they reuse the body, which is apparently their intention.
11-27-2021, 09:53 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm a bit disappointed to hear that a full frame camera with the new type of prism would take very long to bring to the market, and they consider making a full frame model with an old prism instead. K-1 viewfinder is nice, but for a brand that is all about SLRs these days, I'd expect them to at least match top Nikon and Canon models in this regard.

As for the fully manual camera... What about the lenses for it? Manually focusing AF lenses is a pain, and I don't see any manual focus lenses you can buy from Pentax (or anyone else, except Irix and Laowa).

11-27-2021, 10:08 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thank you so much @JPT for this review. To be honest I see no negatives. The K3iii took forever to hit the market. If this is how things are that's fine. A KP replacement looks to be on the cards but I can't see the MF camera, that just looked like something discussed over coffee. This was a small event that won't make waves in the photographic press. As a base touching excersize its fine. Maybe we will get something concrete next year. I do feel for K1 users though. The K1 is brilliant but it isnt cutting edge and it would be nice for those in the FF market to have something on the cards. I am not a new camera buyer so delays don't affect me one bit, but I can see serious FF users looking elsewhere like the Z7ii
11-27-2021, 10:18 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Q. Is there going to be a successor to the KP or K-70
I think we should not assume so much. The answer is clear: all their money is on the K-3 Mark III.

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
It sounds like the expectation of a full frame version K-3 III with the prism of K-1 II is the most realistic.
K-3 is an APS-C and K-1 is FF as we all know. A K-3 FF would only confuse people just like this statement does and again it is assuming that... And again, we must not do that. This meeting was probably more about the new DFA 21mm
11-27-2021, 10:31 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
I think we should not assume so much. The answer is clear: all their money is on the K-3 Mark III.
Actually, they want us to purchase the K-3iii right now.
Even if they were releasing a KPii or K-70ii - with K-3iii focusing and firmware - in February, they wouldn't say so ....... they would want those users who can't wait for those things to purchase the {more expensive} K-3iii right now They are neither as dumb nor as bad at marketing as we sometimes seem to believe.

11-27-2021, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
A K-3 FF would only confuse people just like this statement does and again it is assuming that...
The way I understand JPT's text, I think he's suggested that the K-1 III will be based of the K-3 III but with no change in prism from the K-1 II... I don't see any reason to think otherwise at this stage
11-27-2021, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Actually, they want us to purchase the K-3iii right now.
Some K3 III purchases are triggered by GAS stress in absence of purchase alternatives.
11-27-2021, 11:12 AM - 7 Likes   #25
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I attended too, and here's my addition to JPT's excellent report.

Lenses:
I have to add that there were many users including myself writing "Q-09 telephoto macro lens" in the comment.

Next FF (sorry I initially titled this "K-1 successor", but looking at my memo, this was NOT necessarily about K-1 successor):
I was surprised that they are still internally debating its concept. They presented all four on the table in this order.
  1. New prism a la K-3III, new image processing engine, higher Mp (no specific number was mentioned). Some K-3III technology. "Technically the most difficult." I thought that Wakashiro-san sounded as if he doesn't think that this will be likely.
  2. Low-res ("for example 25 Mp"), no new image processing engine, but quicker operation speed due to smaller data.
  3. "Compact, lightweight, simple model". Full manual. Sounded similar to K-3 III full manual model they want to offer on crowdfunding (discussed in another thread) but I'm not sure if that was really what Wakashiro-san was talking about.
  4. K-1 prism will stay the same, but based on the existing K-3 III tech. This is a much less ambitious version of 1.
Many in the comment section pushed for 4. Many also commented they don't need higher Mp.

"Battle of DFA 21 Ltd Devs" photo competition.
I echo JPT's comment, it was great to know that developers/designers were themselves keen photographers. The winner of the competition (voted by the users) was Mr. Saori, the product manager(?), and he'll write an article about that on Pentax Official site in the future.

"Official" camera and lens hashtag for social media.
Didn't know this, but apparently they've made a list of hashtags for Pentax cameras and lenses for social media use. Of course you're not forced to do anything but you're encouraged to use their "official" hashtag when sharing photos shot with Pentax camera and/or lens.
At the moment, all Pentax digital bodies are listed, even discontinued ones. But the list only covers the current lenses. See attached.

Giveaway.
This was supposed to be done by rock, paper and scissors. People secretly vote their choice of rock, paper or scissors online. After everyone voted, president Akahane will declare his choice. People who won will proceed to the next round, and this repeats until the only one stands. The problem was that this was an honor-based system. Each round, the MC couldn't immediately identify who'll proceed, he just knew how many will.

Unfortunately enough people proceeded to the next rounds w/o actually winning, so at some stage they cancelled the thing and decided to randomly choose the winner (who will be announced later). A shame, really. Otherwise it was a good fun.
The prize is what the MC described as "something that's worthless for anybody except Pentax users", and that's about right I guess, but it's a really neat-looking display box with all elements of DFA 21 Ltd.

New president Akahane.
As you know, he was the president of Ricoh Imaging Co. Ltd. before ex-president Takahashi took over, and now he's back. He was an investment banker specialized in restructuring other companies before hired by Ricoh. I didn't know what this means, so I was curious to hear what he had to say, like the subtlest sign about future of Pentax and things like that. You know, sometimes I overthink about these things.

Anyway, no clue yet.

But there's this one thing Akahane-san told us that left me a strong impression.
He started by saying that people with smartphones are producing incredible number of pictures per day. He's extremely happy about that because this allows many people to build and maintain what he calls an instant, "horizontal" connection via photography. (I think he's visualizing that the time axis is running "vertically", and people who are living the same "now" moment are next to each other, "horizontally" if you will. )

On the other hand, in his view, the value of pictures shot with Pentax is that they are "vertical", will "live" beyond this "horizontal" moment to make connections over time. He continued "PENTAX wants to be able to live with you by your side." He was talking about pictures, but at the same time he was clearly talking about Pentax the brand and Pentax the products.
Attached Images

Last edited by kwb; 11-27-2021 at 12:27 PM. Reason: The FF discussion was not necessarily about "K-1 successor".
11-27-2021, 11:49 AM - 4 Likes   #26

LOL, the rest of the camera world is moving to better and better focusing technology, so Pentax runs in the other direction for manual focus cameras? I was hoping to hear that there would be a new K-1 Mark 3 for 2022. I find these stories rather disappointing.
11-27-2021, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
  1. New prism a la K-3III, new image processing engine, higher Mp (no specific number was mentioned). Some K-3III technology. "Technically the most difficult." I thought that Wakashiro-san sounded as if he doesn't think that this will be likely.
  2. Low-res ("for example 25 Mp"), no new image processing engine, but quicker operation speed due to smaller data.
  3. "Compact, lightweight, simple model". Full manual. Sounded similar to K-3 III full manual model they want to offer on crowdfunding (discussed in another thread) but I'm not sure if that was really what Wakashiro-san was talking about.
  4. K-1 prism will stay the same, but based on the existing K-3 III tech. This is a much less ambitious version of 1.
Many in the comment section pushed for 4. Many also commented they don't need higher Mp.
First - thank you for your comments.

From these versions, I'd go with #1 (assuming it won't drive the price up to impossible levels). If not, #4 - but it would be a pity.
11-27-2021, 11:51 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Joe Dusel Quote
I was hoping to hear that there would be a new K-1 Mark 3 for 2022.
I guess it's too early for that - to hear about it I mean. Think about it, the earliest would be a Spring launch, with a Spring/Summer availability. Should they tell us to stop buying K-1s until then?
11-27-2021, 11:56 AM - 2 Likes   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
K-1 prism will stay the same, but based on the existing K-3 III tech. This is a much less ambitious version of 1.
I don't mind if they keep the prism same as is on the K1 II. If there is no Pentax K1 II successor with substantially higher resolution sensor, I'll pass on the one, I can keep using my current K1 / II. If Ricoh doesn't provide higher res. in K mount, my next upgrade won't be with Pentax. I currently up-res my file for printing because the native res. of the K1 isn't sufficient, but AI processing time is a pain in the neck, but I can easily imagine I could get a camera from another brand and print straight out of camera, which would same me a lot of time.

---------- Post added 27-11-21 at 20:04 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
From these versions, I'd go with #1 (assuming it won't drive the price up to impossible levels). If not, #4 - but it would be a pity.
I disagree that prism tech is that important. For me, the image output and capture reliability (ability to get sharp detailed and in focus image every time) is more important than a 5% better viewfinder prism.

---------- Post added 27-11-21 at 20:14 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Joe Dusel Quote
LOL, the rest of the camera world is moving to better and better focusing technology, so Pentax runs in the other direction for manual focus cameras? I was hoping to hear that there would be a new K-1 Mark 3 for 2022. I find these stories rather disappointing.
Advancing tech doesn't prevent to release "special" edition models for gear collectors who like to own special objects, special models can generate revenues that don't require much R&D effort. It depends what we're looking for in a camera.
Special models aside, you are right, competitors are pressing forward, there is impressive technology out there from the main three manufacturers Canon, Sony, Nikon (Z9 is impressive). There's plenty of choice of mirrorless camera and lenses now. We'll see.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 11-27-2021 at 12:16 PM.
11-27-2021, 12:15 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Thank you for the report. Nice to know what the Pentax execs are thinking.