Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2021, 06:07 AM - 36 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Meeting on Nov 27: Q&A about future products (nothing very specific)

I’ll explain the Q&A part of the Pentax Meeting event in this post. When registering to attend the session, there was a space to add a question to the product planning team. Obviously with 2000+ attendees, it wasn’t possible to answer every question one by one, but they grouped them together to come up with the top three themes. They were pretty much what you’d expect, so counting up from the 3rd to the 1st most common question, here is how they responded to them.

Q. Is there going to be a successor to the KP or K-70
A. Right now they’d really like us to buy the K-3 III - they were smiling as they said this. However, they realize it’s important to have a more accessible model, because there needs to be an attainable way for beginners to experience a DSLR. Beyond that they didn’t say anything specific, but we can assume there will be a low or mid-range APS-C camera at some point.

Q. What lenses are coming?
A. They started by apologizing that it had taken so long to deliver on the roadmap. They are working on the remaining lenses, but that is not all. They are also working on several lenses that are not on the roadmap, and some of these might come out before the roadmapped items. Reading between the lines, I get the feeling they don’t want to put new things on the roadmap unless they are really sure they can deliver. They asked users for ideas for what lens they’d like, and the 135mm and super telephoto seemed to be the most requested in the Zoom chat.

Q. What about the next full frame camera?
A. For a start, the K-1 II is their full frame model for time being. It is getting a firmware update in December to add a new custom image mode. It doesn’t look like it will be replaced in the immediate future. They talked about how difficult and how long it would take to come out with a model with a new prism like the K-3 III. It sounds like the expectation of a full frame version K-3 III with the prism of K-1 II is the most realistic.

They also have other ideas for cameras like a model with the same body design as the K-1 but a lower resolution to enable faster operation. They also mentioned the idea of a full frame manual model, which could be a lot smaller than the K-1 by removing some of the automation. It was interesting to hear that the designers do really think about some of the more out-of-the-box ideas, like people discuss on the forums.

Other parts of the event today
- A showcase of the DFA21mm Limited. They did this by having five of the developers go out and take pictures with the lens that they think are both good images and that illustrate something the think is characteristic of the lens. This brought up various stories about the development of the lens. Then they asked the audience to vote for the the best set. It was quite a good way to talk about the lens and show that the designers are keen photographers themselves.
- Showing the winners of a photo contest
- A video made with user submitted photos of their cameras. It was done like a 102 version of the Pentax 100 video they did two years ago.
- A giveaway of cool display of the individual lens elements of the DFA21 Limited, like a real version of a lens element diagram in a glass case. The contest itself was a bit of a shambles though.
- The new President Noboru Akahane closed with a speech at the end. It was just a nice closing speech. He didn’t really say much about strategy or anything like that.

Obviously, this was an engagement event, not a product announcement. The main feeling was of a company trying to be close to its customers and trying to listen. I honestly thought they would show a mock-up of a lens or two, but it was a not an event like a press conference. We probably have to wait for something more public like CP+ for that

Last edited by JPT; 11-30-2021 at 06:19 PM.
11-27-2021, 06:12 AM - 1 Like   #2
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Neato! Thanks for sharing. We don't hear this type of information very often.
11-27-2021, 06:14 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Manual focus DSLR. Why not? A manual focus FF camera with superb viewfinder and compact body (no AF assembly in the bottom of the body. No motor for driving AF lenses) would be a superb camera, albeit niche, for landscape photographers or those who just prefer manual focus. I would certainly be tempted....
11-27-2021, 06:20 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Well...that's actually fascinating stuff. Anything about 645?

11-27-2021, 06:22 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Obviously, this was an engagement event, nova product announcement. The main feeling was of a company trying to be close to its customers and trying to listen. I honestly thought they would show a mock-up of a lens or two, but it was a not an event like a press conference. We probably have to wait for something more public like CP+ for that
Many thanks again for the detailed report! That is more or less in line with what was generally expected... New 'surprise' lenses would be very welcome and we won't hold a grudge to Ricoh for not road mapping them
11-27-2021, 06:26 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
We can hope it is something they are working on. It seems from what is told that a new FF camera is not right around the corner and that APS for the time being is about the K-3III, so why not a new 645?
As for lenses, they seems to state that the first forthcoming lenses are not the roadmap. I hope for that D-FA 150-600/5-6.3 Stabilized lens patented will be among them. Solve their long telephoto problem.
Based on their recent telephoto patents it seems like optical stabilization is in the plans. They have patented a 70-200/2.8, 70-300 and 150-600 and others with optical stabilization. The 70-300 is on the roadmap.

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 11-27-2021 at 06:39 AM.
11-27-2021, 06:31 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I’ll explain the Q&A part of the Pentax Meeting event in this post.
@JPT, thank you for attending the event and describing the highlights in your two posts. Very interesting. Ricoh Imaging's comment on new lenses in the pipeline is reassuring.

Although there were no major product 'announcements' or hints, the various parts of the event seem like a good way for Ricoh Imaging to connect with their customers and Pentax users.

- Craig

11-27-2021, 06:35 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very interesting and encouraging report, JPT. Thanks.
11-27-2021, 07:00 AM   #9
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nothing was mentioned about 645. The topics were decided by the number of submitted questions, so I guess this was always going to be a discussion focused on K-mount.

This is just my take, but if a new APS-C and K-1 are a little way off, perhaps the thing that comes first is 645?
11-27-2021, 07:01 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Right now they are focusing on K-mount. I would not expect another ‘645’ unless it can offer things that are not available from the K-1, and taking pixel-shift into account, that may not be easy.

added: I expect they have only one development team, shared between Ricoh and Pentax. Just from Pentax, they talk about enough possibilities to keep them busy, and I doubt if eve all the K-mount possibilities will become actual camera bodies.

Last edited by reh321; 11-27-2021 at 08:10 AM.
11-27-2021, 07:32 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info! I hope one of those lenses being developed is a DA* 50-135 replacement with a PLM motor. That is one of the lenses I want most for my type of work. I just wish I could hear at least a rumor of one being developed so I won’t go out and but the current one. I know as soon as I do that they will announce the upgrade.
11-27-2021, 07:55 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure I got it right about manual focus DSLR. Does that mean it never focus automatically or it may focus automatically with modern lenses (focus motor built in) and manual otherwise?
11-27-2021, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Sounds like not much to expect in the near future. I was thinking of a FF upgrade by 2024, that may be realistic.
11-27-2021, 08:03 AM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

" interesting, very interesting "

thanks for taking the time
11-27-2021, 08:04 AM   #15
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for the report - at least they are now vaguely answering some questions about possible future product developments instead of the non-committal smile of interactions in the past.

Last edited by mlt; 11-27-2021 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Edit