Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2021, 02:38 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Pentax has said they are concentrating on K-mount right now.
They may already be reaching the limits of usable resolution, and there are already questions about how much computer space a user wants to devote to one photo and how long the camera takes to process it {related to the questions of burst rate and queue size). Going 'down' with "FF" may make more sense than continuing to go 'up' if they decide to have two "FF" models.
Honestly,

I have no idea. They do have quite good FF line, but FF is not the 'only' thing out there. K-1, when it did come out, I did buy it, and a bunch of lenses to go with it. it is not perfect system. APS-C is very good. FF is 'competing' with 645, but being honest. difference with 'FF and ap-c is not as big as one might think. difference with 645 and aps-c and 'FF' -is- noticeable.

Let us see. IMHO next lens launches will tell a lot, and the fact that they are working under radar(roadmap) with several lenses, tells a lot. They are fixing that what has been in need of fixing for long time now.

11-27-2021, 03:00 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
If there are issues with a larger prism on the K1, I guess it's not because of the cost, but because of the geometry of the K mount / mirror box. I remember they had to re-engineer the mirror mechanism in the K1 because the classic apsc design wouldn't fit. On the K3 III they had FF headroom to play with, on the K1 there's no such headroom.
Perhaps I’m mistaken, but I thought that the larger pentaprism in the K-3iii was a result of the desire to create a larger eyepiece image in a comparatively slender body. Obviously, the magnification of the eyepiece plays a part in that, too, but if I’m correct, the K-1 successor would have no such need of a larger pentaprism, and would be able to take full advantage of the improved material specification.
11-27-2021, 03:05 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
You may disagree, but you are not the market. For me, there is no reason too buy anything from Pentax is no higher than 36Mpixel is offered. Simple, if you don't need more than 24Mp, just keep using the KP you already own, but that's not business case for Pentax.

---------- Post added 27-11-21 at 21:34 ----------

If there are issues with a larger prism on the K1, I guess it's not because of the cost, but because of the geometry of the K mount / mirror box. I remember they had to re-engineer the mirror mechanism in the K1 because the classic apsc design wouldn't fit. On the K3 III they had FF headroom to play with, on the K1 there's no such headroom.
Wasn't the mirror box changes due to the new AF module rather than the new prism?
11-27-2021, 03:17 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks so much to original poster, and subsequent reports!

Personally I'm still really happy with my K-1. For my use I don't desire more resolution or less (although I was originally hoping the K-1 would be 24MP but I'm happy with 36MP as that ability to crop more has been very helpful) but everyone has there own requirements.

The K-1II did not add sufficient features for me to upgrade (and degraded battery life a bit too) but if they came out with a K-1III with features similar to the new K-3III (like better AF, brighter viewfinder, higher frame rate, USB-C) then I would be tempted by it. For me the GPS and astrotracer are nice to haves but I could live without them.

11-27-2021, 03:23 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Nothing was mentioned about 645. The topics were decided by the number of submitted questions, so I guess this was always going to be a discussion focused on K-mount.

This is just my take, but if a new APS-C and K-1 are a little way off, perhaps the thing that comes first is 645?
I am pessimistic about 645. They have fallen so far behind Fujifilm, they have lost momentum. I think the only way to jump back into the lead would be with an affordable FF 645.
11-27-2021, 03:29 PM - 4 Likes   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
... I'd expect them to at least match top Nikon and Canon models in this regard.
I'd expect them to match or exceed every feature of the top Nikon and Canon (and every other manufacturers') models. When you are manufacturing the last of the DSLRs and positioning yourself to be the only maker of DSLRs – to be the niche provider – it seems to me that matching or exceeding every spec of every existing camera is a must.

The K-3-3 did not check all the boxes. And until every box is checked, there is little (no?) reason for any but the brand faithful to buy Pentax.

Here is the last company to be offering a newly-designed DSLR at a premium price, and they don't completely surpass what is already on the market. Even the Pentax Forums review rated the camera at less than 9 (8.8). Other reviewers have also been less than astonished by the K-3-3. Unfortunately, that's not how it should have been. It took a while for this camera to come to market. Every reaction from every review should have been "Wow!"

The company has already made the decision to not enter the mirrorless market, saying they are DSLR camera makers. So they need to make the absolute best DSLR cameras that can be made. Refine the K-3-3 and finish checking the boxes. Bring out a K-1-3 and make sure it is better than anything comparable right from the start. Become the niche company that is the "go-to" for anyone wanting a DSLR.
11-27-2021, 03:55 PM - 1 Like   #52
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
4. This is the normal path. A competent FF dslr. Seems to me it makes sense to take advantage of the K-3 III software but clearly they have options that don't which sounds like a pretty extreme cost saving measure. Did they say anything about the sensor resolution of such a model?
No they didn't say anything about the sensor resolution, I assumed that it will stay the same.

Not sure about your comment regarding K-3III software. Is that really about option 4? If so, it's clear to me that the camera's guts will be based on K-3III including software. At least that's my interpretation.

11-27-2021, 04:00 PM - 2 Likes   #53
Pentaxian

I'm thinking what could make me upgrade from the K-1.
Better performance, for sure. A better viewfinder would be very nice - I think the K-3iii's is clearer and sharper than the K-1's (but maybe I didn't compare them properly).
A better image quality... I don't need that, but it would be nice. Just in case I'd get one nice picture
Lower resolution would be a step back, and might make me wait for a next model.
The same AF and electronics might make me wait for a next model.
11-27-2021, 05:19 PM - 2 Likes   #54
Pentaxian

I'm pleased to learn that new lenses can arrive anytime . But I'm a bit confused by the news about the bodies strategy, if there's one

With FF lenses they chose the high end, expensive path several years ago and stuck to it, so option #1 seemed the only viable one. Among the DFAs, if I'm not wrong the 28-105 is the only one available for less than ~1200-1500€/$. Having a high end FF body, at least like the K1, seems the only logical choice.

The APSC lineup on the other hand has many "bang for the buck" lenses, and it seemed to me that many Pentaxians were so especially for this. There are high end options options as well, but if they had to choose to keep only one body for APSC, staying in the 700-1000€ (K5, K3) price range would have seem wiser to me.

But now the bodies strategy seems to only keep the high end APSC, but an entry level FF. I don't get it: there would be only high end FF lenses with entry level FF body, and low, medium and high end APSC lenses with only a high end APSC body.

Looking at the things under this perspective, we could think that the FF line is to be dropped, but the latest releases were... Nearly only high end, FF lenses (to my greatest pleasure ).

Looks like they like to cultivate their mysterious side

Talkin' bout a resolution... Having switched to a 4K monitor a while ago, I won't go back to 24 mpx, and I'd appreciate a bump to 50-60 instead (despite the file size). 4K monitors are now affordable, and 6K/8K are already there. 24 mpx seems like a thing of the past to me, and is the only thing that made me not buy the K3-iii (viewing a 24mpx photo on a 6K monitor, you can't crop at all...). It was high end ~ten years ago, but things have changed a bit . I know that lower files size allow for higher frame rates, but the competition is tough and already manages to provide both. Since the release rate is something like one body every 5 years for each system, going for a ~ten years ago resolution doesn't very compelling to me.

Last edited by timautin; 11-27-2021 at 05:38 PM.
11-27-2021, 05:55 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timautin Quote
But now the bodies strategy seems to only keep the high end APSC, but an entry level FF. I don't get it: there would be only high end FF lenses with entry level FF body, and low, medium and high end APSC lenses with only a high end APSC body.
I don’t believe they ruled out a K-70 replacement. Perhaps, though, they think the K-70 is sufficient for the time being. It is widely regarded as a very good and well-specified entry-level APS-C body.

Regarding the stripped-down FF body, I would imagine they’re canvassing a number of possibilities. As the probable sole remaining DSLR maker, they need to have a variety of bodies to make the system more attractive.
11-27-2021, 06:32 PM - 1 Like   #56
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
No they didn't say anything about the sensor resolution, I assumed that it will stay the same.

Not sure about your comment regarding K-3III software. Is that really about option 4? If so, it's clear to me that the camera's guts will be based on K-3III including software. At least that's my interpretation.
It was not clear what they mean about resolution. In a way I find it hard to believe the 36mp sensor will have another lease of life. There are 33mp, 45mp, 61mp and rumored 100mp full frame sensors, so I just took them to mean that Option D (K-3 FF version) would have lower resolution that what the Option A would have.

In terms of Option B and C, they only make sense as an additional model, so they might be interesting, especially if the price is right.

In another interview I read, they said that the reason they developed the new prism for APS-C was in response to user comments that APS-C is great except for the viewfinder experience. The question is whether there are enough FF users who feel that strongly about, and would pay the extra cost for, a better viewfinder. I personally thought that Option D sounded like a good balance of capability and probably cost.

I got the feeling that this event was less about telling users and more about listening to users. So they were just putting out ideas to try to gauge interest.
11-27-2021, 08:45 PM   #57
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got the feeling that this event was less about telling users and more about listening to users. So they were just putting out ideas to try to gauge interest.
I agree. Didn't President Akahane say "Please let us hear your voice" before concluding the event?
11-27-2021, 09:05 PM   #58
Veteran Member

They asked users for ideas for what lens they’d like, and the 135mm and super telephoto seemed to be the most requested in the Zoom chat.
I think it's interesting to see that super telephoto was widely requested in the chat - not just a PF discussion. I wonder how many of those requesting it would be seriously interested in buying one, or just want to see it to see a more complete lens line up available?
11-27-2021, 10:16 PM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I think it's interesting to see that super telephoto was widely requested in the chat - not just a PF discussion. I wonder how many of those requesting it would be seriously interested in buying one, or just want to see it to see a more complete lens line up available?
Where do I put my money?
11-27-2021, 11:05 PM   #60
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
IMO those MF only camera etc. are just ideas suggested by participants. Nothing really serious.