Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2008, 05:14 AM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Gus Quote
You can get yourself a forwarding address. Have a look here:
MyUS - US Mail Forwarding, Worldwide Shipping

These guys are very professional, I've been using their services for almost 10 years. Couriers like DHL and others are also availing such services (check with your local couriers). Some offer consolidation, others don't. It also pays to have different forwarding addresses, for example one in New York and one in Florida so that you wouldn't have to pay US taxes, depending on retailer location. Some forwarding services only require a one time fee, others are subscription based (myus.com is the latter). But what I'm trying to say is that one can afford to have both.

The beauty of Amazon is that they accept international credit cards, something most other US retailers refuse to do (well B&H and Adorama have no problem and they will ship internationally, although the verification process can delay the order two to three days as I'm sure you're all aware).

Myus.com can also order on your behalf, for a percentage (6 to 10%), from retailers that don't accept international payments, but I try to avoid this route to keep prices attractive.

To ship the K20D from B&H directly to my location was about $110~$120, using the forwarding address cost me only $70. Not bad, eh?
Not bad at all, Gus, thanks for that. I've been aware of these services for awhile but never really got around to taking advantage of them. I'll have to rethink that.

Yep, I've bought from Adorama and they are a pleasure to deal with. No problem with credit cards, very reasonable international shipping fees and fast service.

12-08-2008, 05:28 AM   #17
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's an insanely low price on a new K20 and I thought $700 was a great price for mine 2 months ago. But with some exceptions, all pricing is deflated for Pentax gear/lenses on Ebay as well.

When you think about a price like this, why would you consider any other brand/model? It's a great camera for the $$.
12-08-2008, 05:33 AM   #18
Gus
Forum Member

Insane is *the* word, at that price, all owners of previous models should consider upgrading, never mind if a new model launch is eminent or not.
12-08-2008, 06:01 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Insane is *the* word, at that price, all owners of previous models should consider upgrading, never mind if a new model launch is eminent or not.
Yeah, that's exactly the dilemma that hit me.

12-08-2008, 06:08 AM   #20
Veteran Member

K200D at Adorama is $463.50

And $30 less with their Visa card. A well respected retailer.
12-08-2008, 06:17 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wouldn't go there...

As a "victim" of the great "Amazon-Adorama" $237 K20D price screw up a few weeks back, I no longer have complete faith in the doctrine that "if it's Amazon it's got to be okay."

At least with the Adorama thing, we all had two known names that would probably get our money back. I have no idea about this other outfit.

When the Adorama thing happened, I wrote Amazon ... and they were the first to wash their hands of it and told me that I would have to deal with the seller to get my money back.

"Amazon Marketplace listings are created by sellers other than Amazon.com. When you buy an item at Amazon Marketplace, the individual seller processes and ships your order.

When making a purchase from an Amazon Marketplace or Merchant seller, it is important to note that your order is not being fulfilled by Amazon.com directly. Because of this, we are unable to provide you with any details about the shipping status of your order.

At this point, I kindly request you to contact the seller with your inquiry and for the refund to this order."

So if you want to send 5 bills to this no-name, go for it. You're dealing with them, not Amazon.

buyer beware!

germar
12-08-2008, 06:38 AM   #22
Forum Member

With TAX it's cheaper in the UK with the Rebate

Hi all,

Just looking at this as it sounded super, but after working out the Customs duty and VAT into the UK with a bit of postage ($20 if Use shipitto) it still works out cheaper to get one from SRS Micro with 2 years warrenty, if you claim the rebate.

I know you could try to get it passed customs as a gift, but I know with my luck I'd get caught :-)

Calcs below, I think I'm right on the numbers, working dollar to pound at .68p from x-rates.com.

565 $ Price
384.20 £ Price@ 68p/$
13.40 Customs Duty
397.65 Total cost
59.65 VAT 15%
13.60 Postage to UK
470.89 Total Payable

SRS UK Price
£527.53 Body Only

£566.68 With Kit lens
100 Less rebate
£466.68

I'm soooo tempted, I have the K10 right now, but I'm sure there's something coming at PMA Vegas 09, and the K10 will last till then!

Peter

12-08-2008, 07:30 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Totally worthless!

I thought, "What the hey" and put in my order. When I got to checkout I got
the message that the item chosen could not be shipped to the address given.
I tried my home and my work which is where I have all my B&H and KEH shipments
sent. No joy. This is Michigan, Detroit area, United States. I knew things were
tough here in Michigan but I didn't realize we had be moved to third world status.

So it's a fantastic offer on a camera that nobody will ship to you.
12-08-2008, 07:31 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I checked resellerratings.com and this company doesn't show up. Not a good sign. "You pays your money and takes your chances " comes to mind
12-08-2008, 07:45 AM   #25

You can get yourself a forwarding address. Have a look here:
MyUS - US Mail Forwarding, Worldwide Shipping

These guys are very professional, I've been using their services for almost 10 years. Couriers like DHL and others are also availing such services (check with your local couriers). Some offer consolidation, others don't. It also pays to have different forwarding addresses, for example one in New York and one in Florida so that you wouldn't have to pay US taxes, depending on retailer location. Some forwarding services only require a one time fee, others are subscription based (myus.com is the latter). But what I'm trying to say is that one can afford to have both.

The beauty of Amazon is that they accept international credit cards, something most other US retailers refuse to do (well B&H and Adorama have no problem and they will ship internationally, although the verification process can delay the order two to three days as I'm sure you're all aware).

Myus.com can also order on your behalf, for a percentage (6 to 10%), from retailers that don't accept international payments, but I try to avoid this route to keep prices attractive.

To ship the K20D from B&H directly to my location was about $110~$120, using the forwarding address cost me only $70. Not bad, eh?
thanks for the tips.. do Australian credit card/banks allow secondary address on file to be in USA ?
12-08-2008, 08:02 AM   #26
Gus
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
do Australian credit card/banks allow secondary address on file to be in USA ?
I'm sorry but I'm not so sure.

QuoteQuote:
I checked resellerratings.com and this company doesn't show up. Not a good sign.
Definitely strange given that they're supposed to have considerable feedback built over one year.

Edit: as a previous poster had commented, the item doesn't show up on their own website www.thepricepros.com

QuoteQuote:
When I got to checkout I got
the message that the item chosen could not be shipped to the address given.
I tried my home and my work which is where I have all my B&H and KEH shipments
sent. No joy. This is Michigan, Detroit area, United States. I knew things were
tough here in Michigan but I didn't realize we had be moved to third world status.
Guess what, they ship to Alaska

I tried to see what happens when you try to checkout with the item in the cart. No go for most addresses I tried. Then I checked their shipping rates and noticed that they only had rates for Alaska and Hawaii. So I entered a bogus Alaskan address just to test if it would work. $4.49 for shipping.

Anyone feels like trying out Hawaii?
12-08-2008, 08:17 AM   #27
Gus
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eva2000 Quote
do Australian credit card/banks allow secondary address on file to be in USA ?
By the way, I forgot to mention that Amazon accepts the international billing address+US shipping address, no questions asked, but you most likely knew that.

I also forgot to mention that merely adding a US address to the bank details will not work most of the time as the retailers that do not accept international payments will also require credit cards to be issued by a US bank / financial institution.
12-08-2008, 08:35 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Bogus?

The sellers website looks so completely bogus it's not even funny. Try searching for anything, a Pentax K20D for example....you get a result of an ink cartridge and a widget. Sorry, but me smells a fish.

legal disclaimer: The opinion expressed in this posting is in no way slandering fish, ink cartridges, or widgets, nor entitles owner of unnamed website to be offended for my blatant use of the word bogus in describing said deal, imaginary or real.

Jason
12-08-2008, 08:38 AM   #29
Gus
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
legal disclaimer: The opinion expressed in this posting is in no way slandering fish, ink cartridges, or widgets, nor entitles owner of unnamed website to be offended for my blatant use of the word bogus in describing said deal, imaginary or real.
Hilarious!
12-08-2008, 08:48 AM   #30
Veteran Member

So much for selling my K10D, I bet I couldn't get $400 for it now. Luckily I only paid $600 for it. This is why I refuse to buy a camera during the first year of release.