Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2008, 09:34 AM   #46
Pentaxian

However, there is no reason to believe Pentax will abandon the K-mount format.

12-22-2008, 11:39 AM   #47
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by frogger Quote
I agree, I don't see whats the big deal. Its as if people think by adding video they will skimp on improving other areas.
Video means a different, or at least differently optimized, write-to-card output pipeline; HD video is a very different critter from a raw image. (or it means distinct pipelines and greater complexity and thus expense.) It means greater emphasis on the LCD display, and a sensor choice biased toward a sensor which can hack an hour of continuous exposed use in bright sunlight versus one that maxes out at a couple of seconds, so it's a use/sensitivity tradeoff of some kind.

Me, I'd almost rather the LCD display wasn't there, driving a trend away from the optical viewfinder. (which is precision glass, rather than consumer electronics; cost consciousness will tend to bias towards the LCD.)

I'd much rather the settings info -- which is unquestionably useful -- was available via a fully-switch-offable projection into the viewfinder mechanism; I'd expect they could do that through one of the sides of the pentaprism, these days.
12-22-2008, 11:43 AM   #48
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I do not agree - at least from a personal stand point. My old glass kept me from buying another brand and waiting for Pentax to come out with a digital that I could use them on. My glass investment far out weighs my camera body investments. For Pentax to abandon the K mount would break my heart and my allegiance.
Even though the backward compatibility costs them a lot of money. I don't think (my guess) that they are in a strong enough position (market share) to abandon the mount. 3rd party would stop making any Pentax lenses and they would loose a lot of loyal followers. I'd stock up on any glass I think I might need. If they had a 25% share, then I would expect some sort of change would be considered.
12-22-2008, 12:08 PM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
""minor design change versions"
White, then Red, no blue , agghhhhhhhh. Sorry obscure Monty Python reference.

I can't think of anything more minor than body color.

12-22-2008, 12:23 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Yep, but can you think about somethink slightly more... not-so-minor? Pentax can
12-22-2008, 12:29 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by poco Quote
White, then Red, no blue , agghhhhhhhh. Sorry obscure Monty Python reference.

I can't think of anything more minor than body color.
I CAN...Changing the color of the neck strap to Lavender...
12-22-2008, 01:02 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Even though the backward compatibility costs them a lot of money. I don't think (my guess) that they are in a strong enough position (market share) to abandon the mount. 3rd party would stop making any Pentax lenses and they would loose a lot of loyal followers. I'd stock up on any glass I think I might need. If they had a 25% share, then I would expect some sort of change would be considered.
Peter, I'm curious, how does the backward compatibility cost them money? Unless of course you talking the revenue lost for new lens sales, in which case I understand. Still, even though many of us use old glass, we buy new glass too.

12-22-2008, 05:36 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Not Me, No New pentax glass in my bag in 6 years

I added a K20D last month. Last new lens I bought new was FA 80-320mm 4.5/5.6 back in 2002. Well I did get a couple kit lenses, do they count when they're bundled with a dslr? I like certain new DA lenses but not enough to buy any (yet).

If Pentax changed their mount, you know like put out a samsung hybrid mount samsung announced recently, I'd choose Panosonic G-1 instead. Novoflex is launching a bunch of different lens mount to micro 4/3 so thats more compatible for me. I've already seen pix via G-1 and Canon's early 1960's 50mm f0.95 lens which crops out to a 100mm f0.95 !!!

And panosonic red or blue launched before the colorless white Km/K2000 announced. And best of all G-1 EXISTS instead of waiting for roadmaped product promises.

In the meantime I'll enjoy K20D and all the Pentax made and 3rd party K Mount I already own. 2009 should prove quite interesting with the minor camera upgrades Hoya pre-announced.

Peter, I'm curious, how does the backward compatibility cost them money? Unless of course you talking the revenue lost for new lens sales, in which case I understand. Still, even though many of us use old glass, we buy new glass too.
12-22-2008, 07:52 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Well, a lot of camera manufacturers, regardless of market size, have changed their mount, so it's probably not dependent on market share. I don't see why Pentax should change their mount in the near future. The K-mount is still alive and able to adapt to new technologies (from fully manual, to the addition of auto-aperture electronics, to power zoom, to the replacement of the power zoom pins with SDM). That, and like you mentioned, they stand to lose a lot of support, manufacturer- and consumer-wise.

I think Pentax takes great pride with their backwards compatibility. But that's just me.
12-23-2008, 06:30 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Well, a lot of camera manufacturers, regardless of market size, have changed their mount, so it's probably not dependent on market share. I don't see why Pentax should change their mount in the near future. The K-mount is still alive and able to adapt to new technologies (from fully manual, to the addition of auto-aperture electronics, to power zoom, to the replacement of the power zoom pins with SDM). That, and like you mentioned, they stand to lose a lot of support, manufacturer- and consumer-wise.

I think Pentax takes great pride with their backwards compatibility. But that's just me.
It ALWAYS hinges on market share, no matter how it's portrayed.
I love Pentax backward compatibility but it is partially hindering them.
The newer SD lenses w/ no shaft drive is just the beginning of an unfortunate change.
Just eliminating those silly "A" contacts would save a few pennies..
Shrinking the flange to sensor distance would be another benefit but would kill all past lenses.
Pentax only choice would be to run to co-current lines like nikon did in part.

Rock and a hard place.
Not sure if Minolta/Sony has a wider mount but Pentax has stated that in camera AS is not possible w/ the current size of the lensmount.
12-23-2008, 07:00 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Not sure if Minolta/Sony has a wider mount but Pentax has stated that in camera AS is not possible w/ the current size of the lensmount.

Definitely not true as Pentax have patented such a solution. It might even be the one Sony is using for all we know...
12-25-2008, 11:29 PM   #57
Pentaxian

I do not agree - at least from a personal stand point. My old glass kept me from buying another brand and waiting for Pentax to come out with a digital that I could use them on. My glass investment far out weighs my camera body investments. For Pentax to abandon the K mount would break my heart and my allegiance.
I agree. I lived through the last Pentax mount change---from
screw to K. The well advertized ability of Pentax bodies to mount and use every pentax lens ever made is the reason for my loyalty.
12-25-2008, 11:38 PM   #58
Veteran Member

video on a dSLR is presently a parlor trick imho. You have a nice big sensor and good glass available, but the rest of the shooting picture sucks. Maybe by 3rd generation it will be there, but at this point far better to just plunk down some money for an HD camcorder and call it good. At least then you'll have dynamic autofocus and aperture (instead of none and stepped) and decent provisions for sound (which is over half the battle unless you've got another capture device).
12-26-2008, 04:49 AM   #59

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote

Canon was quite a minor player in the FD mount days...it was the radical change of the EOS mount to put them where they are now...but they could fail too.

Anyway why change the mount since is (frankly) the only part of Pentax products that works REALLY well?
12-26-2008, 05:47 AM   #60
Pentaxian

For no reason. Yes, they are stupid and so they're trying to get rid of their tiny market share, by changing the mount - while Nikon can use their mount (not technically superior to the K-mount in any way) even with FF.
At least, that's what some people are thinking, it seems