Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 309 Likes Search this Thread
01-13-2022, 07:35 AM   #136
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Auer Quote
Why those Cosinalanders ever fetched the price they did is beyond me, plastic cheap cameras with a host of issues.
Total ripoff.
Well Leica's are mostly unobtainium so... There aren't many alternatives.

01-13-2022, 09:35 AM   #137
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
The insane prices in many cases are those being asked but not those paid. Just to give an example: I recently got a nice K2 together with an adapted Super-Takumar 1.8/55mm (that I don’t need) for 88 Euros. Even with a 130 Euros service on top and some remaining dust in the finder this is very attractive. I’d like the idea of Pentax doing a mechanical and metal SLR but I’m sure it is not economically viable.
I tend to agree. The beauty of the legacy cameras is undeniable. I doubt that this can be recreated in a new "analog" camera derived from the existing models without a completely new construction. This is nothing that could be called a version in the sense of the initial examples of this thread.
Same unlikely as a version of the K-3III "with the screen of the K-1", or a version of the K-1 with a prism like the K-3III.

A version, without much effort, like the new construction of essential parts, could be a UVIR or a monochrome sensor versions. Even if I would not see the K3III platform the ideal basis for such, in those I would definitely expect a movable screen. As speed is not essential for that I would believe that the KP-platform would be more suitable for that. I still think they should keep it and go on with a KPII, with just the processor of the K-3III and some updates to ports and screen.

Would an MF version make sense? Well, one could use a full reflection mirror and abandon the AF module to boost even more light to the matte screen, that could get rid of the markings and sport a prism ring and split screen. Metering would have to be adapted, but could work. And they surely could keep Liveview for occasional autofocus or control of MF focus. But I do agree that this should cater users of MF legacy lenses and therefore might be better suited for FF. And with that it is not a variant discussion anymore but a new construction.

Last edited by MMVIII; 01-13-2022 at 09:44 AM.
01-13-2022, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #138
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Well Leica's are mostly unobtainium so... There aren't many alternatives.
A Zeiss Ikon ZM might be another option unless those are deemed inferior by association to its Bessa R3/R4 cousins. I had opportunity to purchase one in kit with the Biogon 35/2.8 back when the camera was EOL. I believe the price was only about $1700 USD...a steal.

As for my inferior R3M, it has certain features that are difficult to find that I am quite fond of that are not available in any single model elsewhere:
  • Cast aluminum chassis with magnesium alloy outer shell
  • Mechanical vertical metal Copal shutter (1s - 1/2000 + B, dual blade)
  • Flash sync: 1/125s
  • Metered manual: SPD center-weighted, EV100 1 - 19
  • Not battery dependent except for meter
  • 1x viewfinder magnification (amazing for two-eyes open shooting)
  • Parallax-corrected frame lines
  • Very nice rangefinder patch (has split-image option for vertical lines)

Areas I feel the R3M falls short in:
  • The rangefinder EBL of only 37mm is only adequate

Some might suggest a Leica M6 over the R3M and I would not disagree. Current availability is good but pricing is ^ ^ ^.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-13-2022 at 01:33 PM.
01-18-2022, 08:53 AM   #139
Closed Account

The Pentax k-r had 120 color combinations. Mostly targeted toward the Japanese market...

01-23-2022, 03:08 AM - 2 Likes   #140
Pentaxian

It seems to me the six versions of K-3III could be the implementation of new strategy of Ricoh in Japan.
01-25-2022, 10:50 AM - 2 Likes   #141
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would be very interested in a monochrome version.
02-02-2022, 10:09 AM   #142
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by borisII Quote
It seems to me the six versions of K-3III could be the implementation of new strategy of Ricoh in Japan.
The K-3iii took a long time to release - and now the K-1iii is taking longer than I expected.
Perhaps they explored alternatives, and if some of those alternatives would fit in the same box, perhaps they are willing to share them with us.

02-02-2022, 06:52 PM - 5 Likes   #143
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The K-3iii took a long time to release - and now the K-1iii is taking longer than I expected.
Perhaps they explored alternatives, and if some of those alternatives would fit in the same box, perhaps they are willing to share them with us.
Consider that the K3 was introduced in late 2013, it's replacement took 7 1/2 years, give or take a few days.

The K1 was announced almost exactly 6 years ago. Given how fast Pentax seems to update bodies, 2022 is going to pass with no new camera.
And the longer we are made to wait, the louder will be the wailing, until it reaches such a pitch that Pentax is forced to release another camera.
And it will be very good.
And people will complain.
Thus is the way it has always been and thus is the way it will always be.
02-03-2022, 12:24 AM   #144
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K3ii was released in 2015 so K3 had only two years of glory. (Unless not changing the sensor doesn't count as a new camera model.) Annoyingly, I somehow contrive to buy the body that gets replaced almost straight away, which is then followed by a much improved model that doesn't get upgraded for years.
02-03-2022, 06:37 AM   #145
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Consider that the K3 was introduced in late 2013, it's replacement took 7 1/2 years, give or take a few days.

The K1 was announced almost exactly 6 years ago. Given how fast Pentax seems to update bodies, 2022 is going to pass with no new camera.
And the longer we are made to wait, the louder will be the wailing, until it reaches such a pitch that Pentax is forced to release another camera.
And it will be very good.
And people will complain.
Thus is the way it has always been and thus is the way it will always be.
I purchased my KP just three years ago, so I certainly have no interest in replacing it.
On the other hand, twice I damaged a camera during the first four years I owned it, so I certainly understand those who get nervous when there is no replacement available.

The K-3iii was certainly worth waiting for, so I also certainly understand K-1 owners who are impatient waiting for the same improvements to be applied to that line, although if even more improvements are to come, they will be worth waiting for also assuming the person lives that long.
02-03-2022, 06:45 AM - 1 Like   #146
Loyal Site Supporter

I purchased my KP just three years ago, so I certainly have no interest in replacing it.
On the other hand, twice I damaged a camera during the first four years I owned it, so I certainly understand those who get nervous when there is no replacement available.

The K-3iii was certainly worth waiting for, so I also certainly understand K-1 owners who are impatient waiting for the same improvements to be applied to that line, although if even more improvements are to come, they will be worth waiting for also assuming the person lives that long.
The KP wasn't considered a flagship class camera. Compare apples to apples
I want a flippy screen..
02-03-2022, 07:01 AM   #147
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The KP wasn't considered a flagship class camera. Compare apples to apples
I want a flippy screen
The KP does have that.
02-03-2022, 07:55 AM   #148
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The KP does have that.
But not on a flagship body. Which is what is desired by a good number of people, judging by the forums.
02-03-2022, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #149
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I would be very interested in a monochrome version.
I‘d be far more interested in KP II monochrome.
02-03-2022, 10:40 AM   #150
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
I‘d be far more interested in KP II monochrome.
It will be interesting to see if this concept is extended to several bodies at some point.
Closed Thread