Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 309 Likes Search this Thread
01-12-2022, 03:39 AM - 1 Like   #106
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
IMO an analog camera (a basic SLR like K1000) would make much more sense to make these days then manual focus only digital SLR (especially crop sensor).

All the other options seem quite reasonable to explore.
There have been a number of threads about that recently...

One big issue I've identified is that Ricoh doesn't make very many lenses that would work properly on a mechanical camera.
Certainly not any of the fancy new glass. DFA50? 85? 21 Limited? nope.
Puts a huge dent in your market space, so I don't think they would go that way.
And if they make a new "MZ-Sii", compatible with all the new lenses, they now have a film camera that costs more than $1,000...

The advantage of using the K3iii as the basis for any of these limited series bodies is that it is a current, modern product with (hopefully) a lot of life in it.

I can't imagine they wouldn't consider this with a full frame body as well, but the one they have is in need of a refresh...
I expect we'll hear about things like this around whatever the full frame update looks like in a year or two (or three...)

-Eric

01-12-2022, 04:04 AM - 1 Like   #107
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I never understood why a small brand like Ricoh/Pentax doesn't do more limited series products / on order products. Such as make a special product, open a pre-order window of two to three months, advertise it, take the orders, make the batch and deliver it. Advantage is zero inventory left. If the demand is higher than expected, open a second pre-order window, make another batch , deliver. Make a K1 Astro limited production model gun metal finish, take the orders on Ricoh Imaging webshops worldwide, make it to demand, unique product, would keep customers happy, with zero left-over for Ricoh.
It would be a support nightmare.
01-12-2022, 04:27 AM   #108
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
There have been a number of threads about that recently...

One big issue I've identified is that Ricoh doesn't make very many lenses that would work properly on a mechanical camera.
Certainly not any of the fancy new glass.

-Eric
This hypothetical film SLR wouldn't be there to sell new lenses, but to cash in on the analog resurgence. A simplest body possible, simple shutter, simple finder, manual wind. I think even a meterless one would gather noticeable interest. Maybe throw in an old style 50mm kit manual focus lens with HD coating (also compatible with digital bodies). That's all.

Maybe I don't know something, but camera companies totally ignoring film shooters nowadays, when Kodak keeps rising film prices by 20% each year, and still having trouble keeping with the demand... I think they are just wasting an opportunity.
01-12-2022, 05:28 AM   #109
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This hypothetical film SLR wouldn't be there to sell new lenses, but to cash in on the analog resurgence. A simplest body possible, simple shutter, simple finder, manual wind. I think even a meterless one would gather noticeable interest. Maybe throw in an old style 50mm kit manual focus lens with HD coating (also compatible with digital bodies). That's all.

Maybe I don't know something, but camera companies totally ignoring film shooters nowadays, when Kodak keeps rising film prices by 20% each year, and still having trouble keeping with the demand... I think they are just wasting an opportunity.
I don't believe Ricoh is musing about a new film camera, but a version of a modern digital camera.

I don't believe camera companies are ignoring us - they just realize there are so many film cameras available that there is no market for more.

If you don't want a component {like a meter}, just don't us it.
I use both my "Super Program" and my recently acquired "Spotmatic" that way {in fact, I haven't even bothered to purchase a battery for it}.

01-12-2022, 05:41 AM - 2 Likes   #110
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I don't believe camera companies are ignoring us - they just realize there are so many film cameras available that there is no market for more.
They also realize that people are expecting second hand prices for the specially developed, brand new film camera they're requesting.
I mean, how many would actually pay K-1ii/K-3iii prices for a barebone film SLR?
01-12-2022, 05:49 AM   #111
Pentaxian

Well, there are certainly many old, used cameras available today... Which tend to have pretty insane prices nowadays, spare parts are scarce and not many people know how to repair them (and those that do know charge a lot). This especially applies to medium format stuff that sells for more than modern digital full frame.

I think this is a room worth exploring... at least compared to manual focus only, digital SLR.

Also, why would a barebone film SLR cost as much as K-3iii?
01-12-2022, 06:15 AM   #112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, there are certainly many old, used cameras available today... Which tend to have pretty insane prices nowadays, spare parts are scarce and not many people know how to repair them (and those that do know charge a lot). This especially applies to medium format stuff that sells for more than modern digital full frame.
Certainly not Pentax medium format. It is dirt cheap; both cameras and lenses.Just check ebay...

01-12-2022, 06:31 AM   #113
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Certainly not Pentax medium format. It is dirt cheap; both cameras and lenses.Just check ebay...
Pentax 67ii
? Excellent+4 ?Pentax 67II Body & AE Finder Medium Format Film Camera from JAPAN | eBay

Cheapest one, worn without a lens - almost 2 grand.

This is far from dirt cheap in my book...
01-12-2022, 06:57 AM   #114
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's always exceptions. Plenty of excellent to mint 67 and 645 from around $300. Lenses can be had from $100. This from 5s study of search results.
01-12-2022, 07:23 AM   #115
Pentaxian

There's no such thing as "mint 67 or 645". Especially in Europe, and for that price. That's from mine 5s study of search results.

In general, my point is, that quality analog gear is expensive, and it's getting more and more expensive to both buy and repair. Demand is on the rise, supply is getting lower.

I don't know how much money will a barebones film SLR require to make, but one can always make a limited run to gauge interest.

Last edited by BarneyL; 01-12-2022 at 07:34 AM.
01-12-2022, 07:33 AM   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I get 759 hits on ebay for Pentax 645. 883 hits for Pentax 67. Prices starts very low. It may be that prices are on the increase but it is certainly still a buyers marked out there. Entry into MF film photography is dirt cheap and you don't have to buy junk to get there....
01-12-2022, 07:41 AM   #117
Pentaxian

On eBay.de I get less than 80 hits for 67 from European Union. The cheapest one is 850$ and has Polaroid back, which means it probably was a studio workhorse. Most examples are over 1000 EUR, some with a lens, some not.

However, I can agree that you can have decent medium format camera for reasonable price. Mostly Bronicas and Mamiyas (the SLR ones, rangefinders are another example of insane prices), but both of these usually had their prime time long ago, and could use a thorough CLA.

In any case, this is just an idea. Whether Pentax (or any other company) will try to do something with it, remains to be seen.
01-12-2022, 07:51 AM   #118
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A new film camera won't be cheap; too small volume. The best one could hope for was that Pentax put their MZ-1 into production (after 20 years!). It certainly was retro enough. It won't be cheap....

01-12-2022, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #119
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Auer Quote
I was done already, bless your heart.
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
And bless your heart as well.
"God bless us all, every one!" --Tiny Tim

(Just warms my heart when everyone tries to get along).
01-12-2022, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #120
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
A new film camera won't be cheap; too small volume. The best one could hope for was that Pentax put their MZ-1 into production (after 20 years!). It certainly was retro enough. It won't be cheap....

I still hate them for not releasing that one.
Closed Thread