Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 309 Likes Search this Thread
03-25-2022, 02:57 PM   #286
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Not willing to invalidate your thinking, but I think you are missing the point of special products in small batches. The key marketing concept is to create product appeal thru rarity, intentionally making a limited quantity of a product variant to create appeal for collectors, isn't targeting the market segments that buy generic products for photography.
You aren't
I'm aware of using scarcity for marketing purposes; but I don't think that's it. I think the point is to offer series of special editions, perhaps even going as far as customers being able to order customized products directly.

03-26-2022, 03:07 AM   #287
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Pre-orders commenced one hour ago on Ubgoe. Have been ordered so far:
  • 17 Jet Black kits (out of 232)
  • 63 black hotshoes (out of 2,000)
  • 74 Sanada Himo hand straps (out of 250)
24 hours after the launch of the campaign, pre-orders are as follows:
  • Jet Black kits: 37 (16% of limit)
  • Black hotshoes: 119 (6%)
  • Sanada Himo hand straps: 127 (51%)
03-26-2022, 05:46 AM   #288
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
Perhaps I would like to sell silver one I have and get this all black? Or get second one. Or get some gadgets or all at once? I can't due to Pentax choice of making it country exclusive. It is their decision, but I have any right to complain and feel how I feel and voice my opinion about it.
You certainly have a right to spend your own money as you please, but I cannot imagine of spending money and gaining nothing but a change in appearance - nor resenting the right of collectors to do likewise. You would actually use one of these cameras - exposing it to scuffs and scratches - and reduce its value??? I can think of much better uses of my money - such as donating it to help feed starving people.
03-26-2022, 05:56 AM - 4 Likes   #289
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
You certainly have a right to spend your own money as you please, but I cannot imagine of spending money and gaining nothing but a change in appearance - nor resenting the right of collectors to do likewise. You would actually use one of these cameras - exposing it to scuffs and scratches - and reduce its value??? I can think of much better uses of my money - such as donating it to help feed starving people.
For saying "you have a right to spend your money" you're sounding quite a bit preachy about why that's a bad idea.

I'd absolutely have bought a K-1 in jet black or in LX75 metallic finish (like the J-Limited version). I'd even pay a bit extra. I'd even consider selling my K-1 and buying the J-Limited, if it were available and I didn't want to wait to see what the K-1iii brings with. And trust me I would use them. I don't care about the residual value of the camera. I buy with an intention to use until the machine is beyond repair.

And I still donate.

03-26-2022, 06:37 AM - 2 Likes   #290
Pentaxian

It's very sexy. I'd walk to Japan barefoot to buy a jet black kp and some secret, unannounced, super limited jet black apsc 28mm f2
03-26-2022, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #291
Pentaxian

I really would like the monochrome version if/when it comes out. I think there'd be a pretty large group of people who'd feel the same.

I too would walk barefoot to Japan to buy one!
03-26-2022, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #292
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Quote
I really would like the monochrome version if/when it comes out. I think there'd be a pretty large group of people who'd feel the same.

I too would walk barefoot to Japan to buy one!
I'd buy one immediately and without hesitation. I don't actually care which model or how much it costs. GR, K-1, K-3, K-70... If it's monochrome and Pentax, I'll buy it.

03-26-2022, 07:50 AM   #293
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
24 hours after the launch of the campaign, pre-orders are as follows:
  • Jet Black kits: 37 (16% of limit)
  • Black hotshoes: 119 (6%)
  • Sanada Himo hand straps: 127 (51%)
The Jet Black model isn't wildly successful, is it? Nor are the black hotshoes, although I don't quite see their point on a regular camera, and they might resemble too much (at a glance) with the plastic ones.
03-26-2022, 08:02 AM   #294
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
For saying "you have a right to spend your money" you're sounding quite a bit preachy about why that's a bad idea.
That must be a voice inside you.
I am not preaching - just stating the facts.
As already stated, these are items for collectors. Punct.

Last edited by reh321; 03-26-2022 at 08:07 AM.
03-26-2022, 08:10 AM - 2 Likes   #295
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
just stating the facts.
No, you are not. You are stating your opinion of what these items are supposed to be. There are people, on this very thread, telling you that they are interested in such different cosmetic variations and that they would use them.

I do believe we are about done here.
03-26-2022, 08:21 AM   #296
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
No, you are not. You are stating your opinion of what these items are supposed to be. There are people, on this very thread, telling you that they are interested in such different cosmetic variations and that they would use them.

I do believe we are about done here.
I am not the only one who has stated that they are for collectors.

I could have purchased a black-and-gold {my university’s colors} Q-7, but yellow-and-black, silver-and-black, black-and-black were the only combinations available in the US. Color does not affect how the camera works, so ended up with a yellow-and-black one.

You may be done here.
03-26-2022, 09:01 AM   #297
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would we all be this excited if Home Depot were selling our favorite hammer in colors???

It seems to me the camera is no different – it is a tool.

Or am I just too old and grouchy to understand the ecstasy of camera colors?
03-26-2022, 09:16 AM   #298
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
Perhaps I would like to sell silver one I have and get this all black? Or get second one. Or get some gadgets or all at once? I can't due to Pentax choice of making it country exclusive. It is their decision, but I have any right to complain and feel how I feel and voice my opinion about it.
You are using the wrong venue to voice your complaints.

A better strategy to use here would be to say it's too bad that this isn’t available worldwide, but is there a Japanese based contributor to the forum who can help me aquire whatever toys are of interest.
That, at least, would be constructive.

A better venue to voice a complaint would be directly to Ricoh/Pentax. It would probably garner you as much as complaining here would in the moment but it show them that there is interest outside of Japan for Anime based Pentax cameras and lenses.

You might also consider Pentaxes view, which is, as was mentioned, this is something of an experiment, and that any of the Anime based gear that is sold also needs to have a warranty. If they sell this stuff outside the home market, it has to be warranted outside the home market. That sort of thing might be an expense they are unwilling to underwrite for what is, in reality, nothing more than an experiment in cosmetics.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 03-27-2022 at 08:19 AM.
03-26-2022, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #299
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am not the only one who has stated that they are for collectors.

I could have purchased a black-and-gold {my university’s colors} Q-7, but yellow-and-black, silver-and-black, black-and-black were the only combinations available in the US. Color does not affect how the camera works, so ended up with a yellow-and-black one.

You may be done here.
It was several posts ago I had thought you understood not everyone has the same attitudes towards camera styles and costs as you. Yup, we get this camera wasn't built for you as repeatedly made clear to us, but isn't it OK if others think maybe it's built for them?

I quite like that pitch-black model, and might have gone with it instead of the silver K3III if it had been available, and used it just as much as I use mine now. Yup, both would work the same, but the color ties with the personal satisfaction of using it. I sold off a silver K-70 at a loss because I didn't like the tone after all, and spent again for a black one, which you wouldn't have done. Got it. Call me vain.

Last edited by gatorguy; 03-26-2022 at 01:43 PM.
03-26-2022, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #300
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Would we all be this excited if Home Depot were selling our favorite hammer in colors???

It seems to me the camera is no different – it is a tool.

Or am I just too old and grouchy to understand the ecstasy of camera colors?
They do. You can buy a hammer in red (Mikwaukee), yellow (Dewalt), black (Stanley), blue (Estwing), or classic wood (Stilleto)
You can't buy green because Ryobi doesnt market hammers.

To a certain extent, hammers are as much a fashion item as cameras. I would love to own a classic Stilleto wood handled hammer, they are gorgeous. I wouldn't use it though. For the price of them I wouldn't want to risk marring it.
Closed Thread