Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2022, 01:13 PM - 3 Likes   #406
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for updates, Mistral.

They sold the combined total of 39,521,131 JPY vs the combined target of 110000 JPY, that's 3.6 times the target. We can only guess what the "target" really means, but it's some kind of threshold set by Ricoh Imaging to judge the outcome, so I'm sure they're very happy, and I think this gives them more confidence about their crowdfunding approach.

They now have a real data about e.g. the number of units sold VS number of people who said "I'll buy" VS total number of people who responded to the survey, that kind of stuff seems to me like an invaluable market research data. They got that while making some publicity as well as money (I assume they didn't lose money).

All in all, this seems to me like an overwhelming success.

Another thing to note is that people paid about 1.1% "kokoro zuke" or tip on average, that's my interpretation of the numbers. The difference between the total earned and the sum of [price]*[units] for the cameras, hotshoe covers and hand straps combined is 39,521,131-39,084,000=437,131 JPY or about 3.4k USD. Not a huge number, but if you think about it as ~1.1% added to the profit margin that's not negligible either. They made that money just because some were willing to pay more than asked.

Last edited by kwb; 04-27-2022 at 04:22 PM. Reason: typo, 4.3k -> 3.4k
04-27-2022, 02:12 PM   #407
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
This is the end (of the Ubugoe campaigns), my friends, the end.

There was a rush in orders during the last two days. The outcome is as follows:
  • K-3 Mark III Jet Black Edition combos: 119 orders (51% of the limit of 232 units)
  • Black O-HC177 hot shoe covers: 317 orders (16% of the limit of 2,000 units)
  • j Limited Sanada Himo hand straps: the limit of 250 units was reached on Tuesday the 19th, eight days before the campaign's end.

Altogether, with ¥39.5m raised (approx. $308,000 / €292,000) this operation is a success.
Thanks for summary and following. Seems that Pentax and Ricoh can be happy. Now we can only hope that such actions will reach also US an EU.
04-27-2022, 10:16 PM   #408
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Ricoh sold 119 units of K3 III black jet edition in one month. I'm quite impressed by that result, I expected they'd sell around 50 cameras.

---------- Post added 28-04-22 at 07:20 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
Now we can only hope that such actions will reach also US an EU.
Doing so would allow Ricoh to sell a couple hundred more cameras, although I'm not sure how much larger sales in Europe and US would be relative to Japan.
04-28-2022, 12:56 AM   #409
Pentaxian

I think for a not-so-cheap lens camera, and the model has been out for over a year now, it has been pretty good. I am curious to see if there will be developments of other models following the astro (k70) or monochrome (k3III) survey. I'm also curious to hear about announcements when they get something related to rumors about new lenses for 2022. It's a particular time, they should knock a beat to show up and say hey there again!

04-28-2022, 04:12 AM - 2 Likes   #410
JPT
Pentaxian

I think a good point of comparison is the K-1 II silver edition. This also was a colour variation, not a functional change and it was not too dissimilar in price. We know they made 1,000 units of that.

In this case:
- The colour was a more controversial choice - People are used to silver models, but black on black models are rather more of an acquired taste
- The Jet Black K-3 III was only available in Japan, while the silver K-1 II was available all over the world
- The Jet Black K-3 III was only on sale for a month, while the silver K-1 II had many months to sell its 1,000 units
- The Jet Black K-3 III was only available from one source, while the silver K-1 II was available from multiple retailers

Considering this, I think selling over 100 is a pretty impressive feat. If they make a model variation with functional differences, it could be even more popular. I think they have demonstrated that they can sell niche items like this quite successfully, and on the way they have probably gathered a lot of data on how much impact a Youtube video has, how much impact a direct mail has, how much impact an article in the tech media has, and so on.

On the subject of new mainstream releases, they said at the event I attended a couple of months ago that they are having trouble releasing new products because of supply issues. Even if they have something designed they may not be able to produce it just yet. It's interesting that DPR's camera timeline shows only four cameras from any manufacturer released this year (Canon R5C, Leica M11, OMD-1, G6). It's real and it isn't just affecting Ricoh/Pentax. Still it would be really nice to have a roadmap update sometime soon.

Last edited by JPT; 04-28-2022 at 08:18 AM.
04-28-2022, 04:22 AM   #411
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I think a good point of comparison is the K-1 II silver edition. This also was a colour variation, not a functional change and it was not too dissimilar in price. The know they made 1,000 units of that.

In this case:
- The colour was a more controversial choice - People are used to silver models, but black on black models are rather more of an acquired taste
- The Jet Black K-3 III was only available in Japan, while the silver K-1 II was available all over the world
- The Jet Black K-3 III was only on sale for a month, whole the silver K-1 II had many months to sell its 1,000 units
- The Jet Black K-3 III was only available from one source, which the silver K-1 II was available from multiple retailers

Considering this, I think selling over 100 is a pretty impressive feat. If they make a model variation with functional differences, it could be even more popular. I think they have demonstrated that they can sell niche items like this quite successfully, and on the way they have probably gathered a lot of data on how much impact a Youtube video has, how much impact a direct mail has, how much impact an article in the tech media has, and so on.

On the subject of new mainstream releases, they said at the event I attended a couple of months ago that they are having trouble releasing new products because of supply issues. Even if they have something designed hey may not be able to produce it just yet. It's interesting that DPR's camera timeline shows only four cameras from any manufacturer released this year (Canon R5C, Leica M11, OMD-1, G6). It's real and it isn't just affecting Ricoh/Pentax. Still it would be really nice to have a roadmap update sometimes soon.

I read that in Europe there are many problems with disposing of orders for all new cameras (Canon, Nikon, OM). Sony has suspended orders for various models, and they proceed very slowly, with delays of several months.
. The chip problem is transversal. It may be okay to wait for the cameras, but the lenses can bring them out anyway. Regarding the sales of the black model, however, I always look from the side of the consumer and not the manufacturer. I am happy for those one hundred people who have a particular product that they have been able to buy and be satisfied with. The numbers are for those who aspire to become a manager at Ricoh, not for those who enjoy with photo
04-28-2022, 05:43 AM   #412
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Ricoh sold 119 units of K3 III black jet edition in one month. I'm quite impressed by that result, I expected they'd sell around 50 cameras.

Doing so would allow Ricoh to sell a couple hundred more cameras, although I'm not sure how much larger sales in Europe and US would be relative to Japan.
Pentax knows their sales while marketting doesn’t have to reach out beyond Japan.
That is a success for them.

I suspect some of those sales are to merchants who sell via eBay, who will sell to the rest of the world.
That is a success for us.

04-28-2022, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #413
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Pentax knows their sales while marketting doesn’t have to reach out beyond Japan.
(...)

I suspect some of those sales are to merchants who sell via eBay, who will sell to the rest of the world.
(...).
Possibly but, if so, few of them. The K-3 Mark III Jet Black Edition was limited to one unit per person. 252 people bought the 317 O-HC177 Black hot shoe covers. 236 people bought the 250 j Limited Sanada Himo hand straps.
04-28-2022, 09:35 AM   #414
Loyal Site Supporter

Possibly but, if so, few of them. The K-3 Mark III Jet Black Edition was limited to one unit per person. 252 people bought the 317 O-HC177 Black hot shoe covers. 236 people bought the 250 j Limited Sanada Himo hand straps.
Based on nothing but vaguely worded Ricoh comments I would not be surprised if the Jet-Black version has a limited release here in the West too.
04-28-2022, 10:38 AM   #415
Pentaxian

still, I expect eBay selling for those few in the west who do want them.
04-28-2022, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #416
JPT
Pentaxian

Ricoh Imaging's twitter has a couple of thank you videos from the key people behind these two crowdfunding efforts.

Shigeru Wakashiro (K-3 III designer) mentions in his video how it was interesting to be able to see the sales in realtime with users and see their comments on social networks. He feels relieved that they comfortably exceeded their target amount.

TKO thanks customers for believing in the quality of the product (the strap) without being able to actually feel it in the hand. He also says they intend to release more J-Limited products in future. In typical fashion, he has a couple of historical curiosities in the video. On the table beside him is the gold LX. In his hand, with the strap attached, he has a Spotmatic-styled DSLR prototype. I believe this was a version of the K20D they showed once but never actually put into production.

By the way, I doubt that we will hear much from Ricoh over the next week because it is the "Golden Week" holiday in Japan, when most people are off work, including much of the tech media that might be expected to report on any announcements. It's likely to be quiet from all Japanese companies until May 9.
06-09-2022, 06:56 AM - 8 Likes   #417
JPT
Pentaxian

Looks like these crowdfunded products are getting close to delivery now.

Here are the straps ready for shipping soon.

And here is a K-3 Jet Black with a special engraved mount cap that will come with it. It will be delivered in late July.

06-09-2022, 11:52 AM   #418
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The all-black K-3 III is sexy...
06-09-2022, 06:33 PM   #419
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ooohhh. That is so pretty.
06-21-2022, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #420
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TKO:
Dear J limited customers who have purchased Sanada Himo hand straps

Thank you for your patience!
We have started shipping from today and expect to ship to all customers by the end of this month.
Please wait just a little longer until they reach you!
Source: ペンタックス (PENTAX by RICOH IMAGING) - J limited | Facebook
Closed Thread