Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 467 Likes Search this Thread
01-21-2022, 02:35 PM   #166
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TheLastMan Quote
I think people are getting over excited by the idea of customers speccing their cameras from some kind of menu. This isn't going to happen folks!

All that this announcement is telling us is that manufacturing is going to be scaled back to much lower volumes, and largely to order or in small batches.

It no longer makes sense for them to have a production line going - they simply don't sell enough product. The cameras will be the same, maybe some colour variations or engraving etc, but nothing that involves significant design changes. Imagine the challenge and cost of redesigning the K-3 III so that you could decide whether or not to have a flippy screen - while still retaining full physical integrity, including weather sealing!

You could design a completely new camera that did have the modularity to enable swapping components, but that is huge challenge and if sales are as low as is implied in this announcement then I doubt they will want to invest. They would have to be totally convinced that the camera would have a market, and it would inevitably be incredibly expensive!

Part of the reason Leicas are so expensive is that they have to spread development costs over a much smaller production run. If it costs you $50 million to design and tool up for a completely new model like the K-3 III, and you only sell 100,000, then that is $500 per camera in development costs alone! It is also why new versions of the Leica rangefinder M series are just minor tweaks to the existing design.

I am sure it is also why the K-3 III is so expensive compared to the Nikon D500 to which it is often compared. The Nikon was released in 2016, six years ago. It will have sold in much higher volumes than Pentax could ever imagine and has long since recouped its development costs. It was the last APS-C camera that Nikon produced that could compete in the same market segment as the Pentax. The last competitive APS-C DSLR Canon produced was the 90D released in 2019, however that was an upgraded version of the 80D that was released in 2016 that shared virtually the same body, AF system, viewfinder and controls with just a new sensor and better live view - so much less of an upgrade than K-3 II to K-3 III.

I bet if either company were to release a completely new APS-C DSLR model into the current market, particularly if they add IBIS to try and match the K3 specs, it would cost at least as much, and probably more! But they are not stupid, the market is not there any longer.

I am beginning to wonder if Pentax / Ricoh will ever make enough profits from ILC sales to justify developing a new model, or even a significant upgrade to the existing ones. I think Pentax's future is the same as Leicas; a niche brand producing minor upgrades to old designs.

I do hope I am wrong!
K-3iii platform into K-1 series would go a good bit beyond a minor upgrade

01-21-2022, 02:59 PM   #167
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TheLastMan Quote
I think people are getting over excited by the idea of customers speccing their cameras from some kind of menu. This isn't going to happen folks!

All that this announcement is telling us is that manufacturing is going to be scaled back to much lower volumes, and largely to order or in small batches.
Indeed, the amount of customizing will be quite limiting and in line with what we've already seen (including the 6 K-3iii variants proposed). There's no way one would be able to e.g. choose a sensor, the buffer, the viewfinder type and so on - and then what, wait 5 years for Ricoh to develop the camera?
Let's not even mention the bill... "500,000 euros, Sir, but don't worry - you got lucky and will split it with the other gentleman in the world which requested the same things as you did".

But the second part doesn't make sense either. I already said it, right? If it was about reducing the production volume, that would be done quietly; no press release.
This is about said limited (but higher than usual!) amount of customizing offered to the Japanese market, and adjusting the production system to allow it.

They're not saying they're scaling down the production!. There's not a word about that in the press release.
They're altering the production methods, from a mass market type (suitable to building batches of same product) to a "workshop" type (suitable to customizations).
They might even run the two productions methods in parallel.

For me, it looks like they're going for customizations in order to increase sales.
01-21-2022, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #168
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Indeed, the amount of customizing will be quite limiting and in line with what we've already seen (including the 6 K-3iii variants proposed). There's no way one would be able to e.g. choose a sensor, the buffer, the viewfinder type and so on - and then what, wait 5 years for Ricoh to develop the camera?
Let's not even mention the bill... "500,000 euros, Sir, but don't worry - you got lucky and will split it with the other gentleman in the world which requested the same things as you did".

But the second part doesn't make sense either. I already said it, right? If it was about reducing the production volume, that would be done quietly; no press release.
This is about said limited (but higher than usual!) amount of customizing offered to the Japanese market, and adjusting the production system to allow it.

They're not saying they're scaling down the production!. There's not a word about that in the press release.
They're altering the production methods, from a mass market type (suitable to building batches of same product) to a "workshop" type (suitable to customizations).

For me, it looks like they're going for customizations in order to increase sales.
Is everyone unaware that when you order an Apple computer, it's put together then next day in China, built to your specs, you usually have a choice of memory, processors, SSD size and an number of other options. If Pentax allowed me to order a Katie with a bigger buffer it would end my intransigence. If a tilting back screen was available I might go for two. OK, so maybe not.

Just saying, I'd love to see Pentax go to the Apple customization model.
01-21-2022, 03:15 PM   #169
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sad day... I was already feeling priced out of new Pentax bodies and can't see how this will do anything but see prices go up. Glad I scored the very short lived $350 Adorama K70 deal and my K3 used years ago. Maybe one day I'll realize my dream of a K1 on crazy clearance or inexpensive used. Otherwise, guess I'll grow old with what I got...

01-21-2022, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #170
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by heinamj Quote
Sad day... I was already feeling priced out of new Pentax bodies and can't see how this will do anything but see prices go up. Glad I scored the very short lived $350 Adorama K70 deal and my K3 used years ago. Maybe one day I'll realize my dream of a K1 on crazy clearance or inexpensive used. Otherwise, guess I'll grow old with what I got...
I've seen some great K-1 second hand deals lately. Keep putting money away.
01-21-2022, 03:20 PM   #171
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I've seen some great K-1 second hand deals lately. Keep putting money away.
Thanks, Where have you seen them?
01-21-2022, 03:24 PM   #172
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by heinamj Quote
Thanks, Where have you seen them?
The market place here, and also on Kijiji here in Ontario. If you're not familiar with the market place, many of us buy and sell stuff there.
The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses - PentaxForums.com

01-21-2022, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #173
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Is everyone unaware that when you order an Apple computer, it's put together then next day in China, built to your specs, you usually have a choice of memory, processors, SSD size and an number of other options. If Pentax allowed me to order a Katie with a bigger buffer it would end my intransigence. If a tilting back screen was available I might go for two. OK, so maybe not.

Just saying, I'd love to see Pentax go to the Apple customization model.
It's much harder to do in a camera than in a PC.

Although in principle mainboard upgrades wouldn't be impossible, they did that for the K-1.
How about doing a Nikon, and have the K-1iii with either dual SDs or dual CFexpress type Bs?
01-21-2022, 03:37 PM - 2 Likes   #174
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
So you are saying Tesla don't mass manufacture? Tesla had an innovative new product.
To me this looks like a face saving strategy.
I can't see it working in any meaningful way other than to clear inventory before closing shop entirely.
Not when they first came out they didn't. I'm talking about the Teslas that were based on the Lotus Elise. But what Tesla did was constantly market and tease the products to drive interest in those who didn't even know about EVs let alone Tesla. At that time, GM had their own EV. The Chevy EV1, then later the Volt came out along with Ford producing an EV. Two mass production automotive giants against a relatively unknown player. GM and Ford didn't market the vehicles but Tesla kept at it. GM and Ford sold the vehicles through dealerships but it didn't matter, Tesla convinced people that they were different. So different that people stopped caring that you couldn't test drive one before buying it. Tesla became a status symbol. And THAT'S what the majority of Tesla owners want. The status of having a Tesla. (I know quite a number of people who have them, from the Model 3 to the X and if it ever comes out, the Cyber Truck).
Every one of them, when I ask why they bought one it's the same answer "It's different, it's cool, or, it's a Tesla".
The marketing worked like a charm and the business/sales model worked just as well to go with it.
If done right, this change with Pentax could be the best thing they've done in eons.

Last edited by Kobie; 01-21-2022 at 04:18 PM.
01-21-2022, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #175
Pentaxian

A rather balanced article (for once...):

Ricoh Pentax: The Beginning of the End or the Start of a Bright Future? | PetaPixel
01-21-2022, 03:54 PM   #176
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Thanks! This is a very welcome addition and clarification.
01-21-2022, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #177
Pentaxian

So...
QuoteQuote:
The announcement made by Ricoh Imaging Co., Ltd. on January 20, 2022 regarding a revamped approach to Ricoh’s digital camera manufacturing and distribution was specific to the local market in Japan only. “Ricoh/Pentax will not change its distribution structure in North America, and the company has significant plans and goals for the North America market this year that will utilize mass production of its products,” said Kazumichi Eguchi, President, Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation. “Customers in North America can continue to purchase Ricoh and Pentax cameras through our authorized dealers and directly via our website: https://us.ricoh-imaging.com/.”
01-21-2022, 04:04 PM - 2 Likes   #178
Pentaxian

The source of the above: Statement from Ricoh Imaging Americas Regarding Jan. 20, 2022 Announcement from Ricoh Imaging Co., Ltd. - Ricoh
01-21-2022, 04:08 PM - 3 Likes   #179
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So... we're all free to unbunch our panties/untwist our knickers, now?
01-21-2022, 04:14 PM   #180
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
So... we're all free to unbunch our panties/untwist our knickers, now?
Only the American Pentaxians...
Closed Thread