Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 467 Likes Search this Thread
01-28-2022, 02:59 AM   #391
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
ssuming this is true, I wonder if the recent change of the president has something to do with it
I'm sure it has. I pointed out before that presidents, ceo's etc always have to change things. You can't switch things around without impacting work in progress. This is quite annoying with the change. Pentax could have used a bit of time to work imho. To many changes for a company that should get stuff out. I understand they may well be in the shits but delays and less production can hardly help?

01-28-2022, 04:24 AM   #392
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
I doubt there will be no new products. I mean - no new body it is ok, but I suppose there will be some new lenses.
Ricoh can release more new lenses, but I won't be buying any more Pentax lenses until I'm 100% sure that there will be future Pentax cameras models to match what leading brands offer. Why? If Pentax cameras remain 2016 technology (K1 and nothing else), the only way I can upgrade what the camera can do is to buy a camera of another brand, and with that scenario all my K mount lenses become unusable since there isn't any K to Z or K to RF or K to FE adapter that fully supports auto-focus and KAF4. Right now, I could buy a DFA21 limited (KAF4) , but no K1 II successor with 50 or 60Mpixels is holding me back. Today , with no clarity and certainty that Ricoh will make another Pentax full frame camera is holding a lot of K mount lens sales to happen. If I'd buy a DFA21 today, and there is no Pentax K1 II successor, I'd consider it's 1500 euro down the drain, in addition to all the money I spent on my 9 other lenses. I have to cut my losses, so to speak, full stop on Pentax purchases until I see a long term commitment from Ricoh.
01-28-2022, 05:09 AM   #393
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Ricoh can release more new lenses, but I won't be buying any more Pentax lenses until I'm 100% sure that there will be future Pentax cameras models to match what leading brands offer. Why? If Pentax cameras remain 2016 technology (K1 and nothing else), the only way I can upgrade what the camera can do is to buy a camera of another brand, and with that scenario all my K mount lenses become unusable since there isn't any K to Z or K to RF or K to FE adapter that fully supports auto-focus and KAF4. Right now, I could buy a DFA21 limited (KAF4) , but no K1 II successor with 50 or 60Mpixels is holding me back. Today , with no clarity and certainty that Ricoh will make another Pentax full frame camera is holding a lot of K mount lens sales to happen. If I'd buy a DFA21 today, and there is no Pentax K1 II successor, I'd consider it's 1500 euro down the drain, in addition to all the money I spent on my 9 other lenses. I have to cut my losses, so to speak, full stop on Pentax purchases until I see a long term commitment from Ricoh.
The K-3III surpasses most "leading brands" similar offerings. And why on earth wouldn't there be a K-1 replacement`?
01-28-2022, 05:22 AM   #394
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
And why on earth wouldn't there be a K-1 replacement`?
The last press release had me questioning myself about the direction taken for Pentax. The press release says that sales volumes are lower than expected (mass production no longer suitable for current market conditions), Ricoh Imaging needs to downsize further (no mass production, but workshop like production instead). Downsize from where Pentax was in recent years? Pace of camera releases in recent years was 1 new apsc camera in 3 years. Reducing further means slower than that pace for the next camera models, a new K1 III is likely be a very long shot, how I see it coming.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 01-28-2022 at 05:55 AM.
01-28-2022, 05:24 AM   #395
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I kinda understand you, as I am careful about new lenses having that though at back of my head that APS-C is done for in this FF dominated world. Getting DA lenses may leave me with non-upgradable system at best, bunch of worthless lenses at worst in case my K-3 breaks and there is no Mk IV available. OTOH there may be K-3 Mk IV and Mk V, maybe there will be crop sensor renaissance or something.

We need to risk, after all that is why we earn money - to spend it on things we want and die without regrets
01-28-2022, 05:49 AM - 1 Like   #396
Pentaxian

Well... it seems like you decided to give up on Pentax, but you're pushing the responsibility for that on them.
I notice subjective, moving requirements like "to match what leading brands offer". Besides impossible requirements like "100% sure" and "long term commitment" (which would look... how exactly?)

The D FA 21mm Limited itself, and the D FA* 85mm, and the D FA* 50mm are commitments that Ricoh Imaging will launch more FF DSLRs.
01-28-2022, 06:05 AM   #397
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Well... it seems like you decided to give up on Pentax, but you're pushing the responsibility for that on them.
No, I honestly afraid of investing into more Pentax glass. I have a lot of Pentax glass already (represents > $12 000) because I purchase everything new to Ricoh, I didn't buy used, I paid the full price, so in total it's like buying a car. And last time I asked my dealer if he would be selling the DFA21 he said "no , we won't be trading Pentax anymore", I insisted and he replied "it is NO and NO, if you want Pentax please go elsewhere". So I looked at the other possibility to trade camera gear at SRS in the UK, but now the prices of buying Pentax gear at SRS are +30% compared to prices in Euro, plus the additional costs related to UK now being out of EU economic zone (after brexit). These are new challenges I am facing.

01-28-2022, 06:06 AM   #398
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
The K-3III surpasses most "leading brands" similar offerings. And why on earth wouldn't there be a K-1 replacement`?
There very probably *will* be one. But we saw the K-3iii prototype about a year *and a half* (Fall 2019 to Spring 2021) before it became available. I know the pandemic was a thing but I reckon, with the shortages and such, it will still take Pentax a year or so to bring something from prototype to market.

So 2022 is probably out of the question regarding the K-1iii. And 5 years between models, 7 if you count the K-1, is a tad long. IMHO IQ-wise they can't noticeably improve beyond "more resolution, lol", but usability could use a boost.

Bottom line, I'll most likely buy the DFA 21 regardless because pretty photos activate my monkey brain and I don't need much more... But I somewhat understand BE's concerns here (though those concerns don't apply to most photographers, IMHO).
01-28-2022, 06:11 AM   #399
Pentaxian

I notice subjective, moving requirements like "to match what leading brands offer". Besides impossible requirements like "100% sure" and "long term commitment" (which would look... how exactly?)
For me, that's a K1 III released this year , with a 60 Mpixel sensor in it , so I can keep using my Pentax glass. If Ricoh doesn't release a camera better than Pentax K1, I'll have to switch to medium format and I can't afford to buy a medium format system (~15000 euros) and keep my Pentax gear, I'll have to sell all my Pentax gear to pay for the medium format kit. For now I wait, giving Pentax a chance. But how long I have to wait? I don't know.
01-28-2022, 06:17 AM   #400
Pentaxian

If your largest display media is a 4K TV, you don't need more than 4K, and in that case you're better off using a quicker camera having generally quicker shutter speeds (smaller format, faster lenses), since higher shutter speeds reduce motion blur.
The way I see it is, even though I suspect 1/20 images benefits from the K-1, I still want the benefit in that 1 in 20.
01-28-2022, 06:20 AM   #401
Pentaxian

For me, that's a K1 III released this year , with a 60 Mpixel sensor in it , so I can keep using my Pentax glass. If Ricoh doesn't release a camera better than Pentax K1, I'll have to switch to medium format and I can't afford to buy a medium format system (~15000 euros) and keep my Pentax gear, I'll have to sell all my Pentax gear to pay for the medium format kit. For now I wait, giving Pentax a chance. But how long I have to wait? I don't know.
60 MP is an arbitrary number of unexplained value... maybe elaborate.

You seem to be unaware of the issues people have with Fuji MF and Canon 51 MP FF sensors.
01-28-2022, 06:22 AM   #402
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
60 MP is an arbitrary number of unexplained value... maybe elaborate.
I print A1, A0, I benefit directly from 60+ megapixels, I actually would like to have 72Mpixel. Pentax K1 is a stretch at that print size and considering available camera options now (Sony, Fuji..). Pentax K1 prints very well at A2 size, but I'm not interested in A2 prints, which I don't consider pro-level.
01-28-2022, 06:24 AM   #403
Pentaxian

No, I honestly afraid of investing into more Pentax glass. I have a lot of Pentax glass already (represents > $12 000) because I purchase everything new to Ricoh, I didn't buy used, I paid the full price, so in total it's like buying a car. And last time I asked my dealer if he would be selling the DFA21 he said "no , we won't be trading Pentax anymore", I insisted and he replied "it is NO and NO, if you want Pentax please go elsewhere". So I looked at the other possibility to trade camera gear at SRS in the UK, but now the prices of buying Pentax gear at SRS are +30% compared to prices in Euro, plus the additional costs related to UK now being out of EU economic zone (after brexit). These are new challenges I am facing.
Ricoh Imaging operates their own EU web shop. Not sure if they will ship to your country (they won't ship to mine) but that's an option worth checking.
01-28-2022, 06:27 AM   #404
Pentaxian

In the name of safety, I was told to get the then-new Olympus 4/3. And Sony SLT, safer than Pentax because it was supported by Sony. And Samsung NX, amazing thing, why didn't Pentax join (even if Samsung never invited them?). And, over and over again, Canon EF and Nikon F; the largest DSLR makers by far, very advanced, very broad range of products, truly immortal.
There's no such thing as "100% sure". Decide by yourself if you're confident enough to buy more lenses or not, but if absolute certainty is what you're seeking, you already gave up on Pentax.
But be careful, emotions - thoroughly influenced by downright hostile sites and social media - can lead to you act against your wishes. Do you want Pentax, or not?
01-28-2022, 06:27 AM   #405
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
Ricoh Imaging operates their own EU web shop. Not sure if they will ship to your country (they won't ship to mine) but that's an option worth checking.
To be precise, the problem isn't to buy Pentax, what's more difficult is to sell. I can always buy at amazon, but they don't trade used parts for new parts. So if the new Pentax retail strategy recently announced by Ricoh could sell and buy all Pentax products, online, that would be an important move. Selling online only with no other support services would bring nothing compared to say, amazon.

---------- Post added 28-01-22 at 14:31 ----------

But be careful, emotions - thoroughly influenced by downright hostile sites and social media - can lead to you act against your wishes. Do you want Pentax, or not?
I'm very aware of biases on both sides (Pentax and non Pentax) , so I am trying to remain as objective as possible for my decisions.
Closed Thread