Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 467 Likes Search this Thread
02-01-2022, 08:08 AM   #541
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
They still work substantially more gracefully at lower ISO values, so I'd rather keep ISO down and use the slowest shutter speed that is adequate for the situation. Better IBIS never hurts.
That is your experience.

I shoot my KP mostly in “TAv” mode, and hardly ever even note the ISO value chosen.
It is often over 1000 when I do notice, and I see absolutely nothing wrong with the resulting photographs.

02-01-2022, 08:26 AM   #542
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
That is your experience.

I shoot my KP mostly in “TAv” mode, and hardly ever even note the ISO value chosen.
It is often over 1000 when I do notice, and I see absolutely nothing wrong with the resulting photographs.
Yes, it is obviously my experience. And, therefore, my requirements aren't yours.

---------- Post added 02-01-22 at 08:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Exactly... burst mode, lets you shoot at slower shutter speeds for better IQ, and toss those ruined by motion blur or whatever.
Yup. I fire off three or four shots, grab the best one, and I'm usually happy
02-01-2022, 08:28 AM   #543
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
That is your experience.

Maybe it's just you. Some people just don't care much about or even notice noise, or choose to ignore it. And that's fine if you only shot for yourself. For others low noise achieved naturally is a big part of what they wish to achieve. That keeps companies like DxO and Topaz in business.

I have posted images where people mentioned the noise, not everyone is immune. In the interest of universal appeal, I've taken steps to appease them. But you're right, some people just don't care.
02-01-2022, 08:49 AM   #544
Pentaxian

Maybe it's just you. Some people just don't care much about or even notice noise, or choose to ignore it. And that's fine if you only shot for yourself. For others low noise achieved naturally is a big part of what they wish to achieve. That keeps companies like DxO and Topaz in business.

I have posted images where people mentioned the noise, not everyone is immune. In the interest of universal appeal, I've taken steps to appease them. But you're right, some people just don't care.
I posted some images when I first got the KP and found good results at "insane" levels.
Iso 25600! - PentaxForums.com
Iso 204800 - PentaxForums.com

and I regularly post pictures in which no one ever comments on noise; yes, perhaps they don't notice, but perhaps the KP really does have low noise and high dynamic range.
Hummingbird Moth - PentaxForums.com
Lazy Butterfly - PentaxForums.com
Emperor of the Feeder - PentaxForums.com

Aren't you the guy who still uses 'old' cameras? {no K-1ii, no K-3iii, no KP }

02-01-2022, 09:10 AM   #545
Pentaxian

Seriously?

Vs

The top one is OK with you?

Mine taken with that ancient K-3 technology at 100 ISO. Because I like to control the ISO and shutter speed, myself. No noise reduction was applied.

Just checking. I need to know what I'm dealing with.

Unfortunately insulting my gear doesn't make your images any better.

Last edited by normhead; 02-01-2022 at 09:17 AM.
02-01-2022, 09:27 AM   #546
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like both. @normhead one is more document-like, @reh321 has more "horror-art" feel, but both are good. Still the butterfly on ashtray is great @reh321. Screw noise, bit washed and soft up look.

I think that both of you are looking for something different in photography, so what one can accept or like, other never will.
02-01-2022, 09:58 AM   #547
Pentaxian

The mainboard replacement is another piece to understand the "workshop" pie IMHO.

When you take all pieces together I think Pentax could produce some interesting things.

02-01-2022, 10:05 AM   #548
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You should try the K-3III. On the K-3 I rarely used more than 200ISO. With the K-3III I use Tav mode for the first time and don't care about ISO for anything resembling normal light values......
02-01-2022, 01:20 PM   #549
Pentaxian

Seriously?

Vs

The top one is OK with you?

Mine taken with that ancient K-3 technology at 100 ISO. Because I like to control the ISO and shutter speed, myself. No noise reduction was applied.

Just checking. I need to know what I'm dealing with.

Unfortunately insulting my gear doesn't make your images any better.
I was not not insulting your photography. I believe you get very good images out of your equipment.
I was making a comment about your lack of familiarity with where Pentax is going.

Around 2017 I got into a discussion with a guy named John Gerlach at a 'generic' {not brand specific} photo discussion forum. He leads trips to Africa; at one time, he had advised people on the trip to use "Av" mode, but now he was advising them to use "M" mode + auto ISO. I complained that this gave them no control of ISO {he uses Canon} - unless they emptied their wallets. Now I understand what he was talking about.

It is interesting that you chose the picture of mine that you did. It was early Spring, and we were leaving a formal gardens about closing time {dusk} when I saw this "Hummingbird Moth". They are ugly, and I knew what it was as soon as I saw it. Since I had never seen one, let alone photographed it, I pointed my camera and shot. Just as I looked for a better position {f/8 or whatever I used gave me inadequate DOF}, it left, so this was my one and only shot. I apparently used 1/750 second, which did 'stop it's body', but still allowed some wing blur to show why it was still aloft; this required an ISO of 1600, so I'm not sure that ISO 100 could possibly have given better results ..... until you dug it up, I had completely forgotten it - so it would have been classified as 'a very forgettable shot' at ISO 100.

Last edited by reh321; 02-01-2022 at 01:28 PM.
02-01-2022, 01:42 PM - 6 Likes   #550
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I tried to keep this thread on topic.

threadclosed
Closed Thread