Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
01-25-2022, 01:33 PM - 3 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I wish I had one in the Sistine Chapel. I didn't dare break out my DSLR, but I might have gotten away with one sneaky shot with a Theta.

As a result of that experience, I bought a Z1, but haven't travelled since for some reason

01-25-2022, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Who's buying all of these 360 cams? I know there are some law enforcement, security and industrial applications, perhaps a few "extreme sports" users... but it doesn't seem like there'd be enough demand for the number of new models released in the last few years. I'd love to know what sector accounts for the majority of sales, the kind of volumes involved, and whether the market is even close to saturation...
Back in 2017, as we sat aboard a tourist train which took old logging tracks in West Virginia for a ride ‘into the clouds’, we watched a young man who stopped every so often in his walk from the parking lot to the train to take a photo with his smart phone. I haven’t seen any smart phone that can deliver 360 degree views, but I would think that they would be popular with those who want to document trips this way, and this might be an area where smart phones can’t compete right now.
01-25-2022, 09:30 PM   #18

I've seen them on a selfie stick mounted to the tail of motorcycles. It's like a follow camera that is always going to be level with the horizon instead of leaning with the bike/rider like a GoPro. I've thought about doing something along those lines myself, to act like a 360 dash cam.
01-25-2022, 09:46 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The official video is boring as heck.
I don't know how it will manage to catch the potential market's attention.

360 video is very much about 'hype', just look at a Gopro or Insta360 launch video and see the difference.
90% of buyers won't have the framing/editing skills to give the same sort of video content, but it captures the buyer's attention and lets them imagine that they can shoot similar when they buy one.

Ricoh has been too slow going to video and that lunch has long been eaten by Insta360 and Gopro.
At least from the info given for the Theta X, I don't see how it performs or offers anything better than the competition.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Who's buying all of these 360 cams? I know there are some law enforcement, security and industrial applications, perhaps a few "extreme sports" users... but it doesn't seem like there'd be enough demand for the number of new models released in the last few years. I'd love to know what sector accounts for the majority of sales, the kind of volumes involved, and whether the market is even close to saturation...
Its not just extreme sports, regular sports, 'selfie videos' and selfies, kids, pets.
There is a large market out there with the narcissism of the Instagram/FB age, lots of regular users buy them.

01-26-2022, 04:41 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Ricoh Theta Z1 (19 GB): $999.95 / €999.

Ricoh Theta X: $799.95 / €999.

Hmm...
01-26-2022, 12:31 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The new Theta does not have the 1" sensors.
01-26-2022, 02:06 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
The new Theta does not have the 1" sensors.
No, it does not. It's a successor to the Theta V (which is discontinued) in the 'advanced model' category (as per Ricoh Imaging Americas' own description).

01-26-2022, 02:48 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Ricoh Theta Z1 (19 GB): $999.95 / €999.

Ricoh Theta X: $799.95 / €999.

Hmm...
Has France changed to a dynamically shifting VAT?
"Oh, yes, VAT on this is 35% instead of the old rate..."
I hope the error is reconciled by reducing the European price and not raising the US one...

-Eric
01-27-2022, 01:55 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Insta360 products are hyped to motorists vloggers (travel vlogs).

I wonder if the new theta beats the Insta360 (quality/price)?