Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
01-24-2022, 06:40 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Theta X

From the Pentax Australia facebook page....

QuoteQuote:
RICOH is proud to announce the launch of our new RICOH THETA X, an advanced model of the RICOH THETA series of 360-degree cameras.
Now Equipped with a built-in touch screen display, the new model also brings high-resolution 60-megapixel output resolution image capture, makes use of a new interchangeable battery and offers an external microSDXC memory card slot alongside the standard 46GB internal storage. This, among a host of other features makes it our most complete THETA experience to date. Offering a lightweight, portable, and powerful 360-degree video and stills platform for even the most demanding of commercial and enthusiast applications.
Here's a short feature list:
➡ Large 2.25-inch touch screen display
➡ High-resolution CMOS image sensor
➡ 5.7K 360-degree videos @ 30fps
➡ Interchangeable battery and memory cards
➡ Simplified and enhanced smartphone compatibility via Bluetooth
➡ Improved software for both developers and users
➡ Improved sharing and output options
➡ Built-in GPS and support
➡ Magnesium alloy body
➡ USB Type-C power
➡ Time Shift Shooting
➡ AI enhancements for subject recognition and automatic shooting functions
and more!
I haven't seen or heard anything about this, but let me know if it's duplicating another thread elsewhere....

01-24-2022, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #2
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here you are. It's announced.
https://www.ricoh.com/release/2022/0125_1/

Cool that it has a removable battery and storage now.

01-24-2022, 10:06 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Ricoh Theta X

Just announced. Available in March.

A New RICOH THETA Model Is Set to Be Released! “RICOH THETA X” Equipped with a Large Touch Screen | RICOH THETA

Ricoh launches the RICOH THETA X 360-degree camera | Global | Ricoh

Product | RICOH THETA X

QuoteOriginally posted by Ricoh:
The model is the first in the RICOH THETA series to have a large 2.25-inch full-color touch-screen display, improving operability as a standalone camera. RICOH THETA X also supports an interchangeable battery and an external memory card for more efficient and reliable shooting in business settings.
01-24-2022, 11:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

cheaper than Z1.

01-25-2022, 02:44 AM - 1 Like   #5

More video-oriented 360 camera, this is what was needed.
01-25-2022, 02:45 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The built-in screen is a great addition IMO. Shame that the sensor is much smaller than the Z1's (1/2" type), but if it is cheaper it is certainly understandable.
01-25-2022, 05:32 AM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Who's buying all of these 360 cams? I know there are some law enforcement, security and industrial applications, perhaps a few "extreme sports" users... but it doesn't seem like there'd be enough demand for the number of new models released in the last few years. I'd love to know what sector accounts for the majority of sales, the kind of volumes involved, and whether the market is even close to saturation...

01-25-2022, 06:11 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Who's buying all of these 360 cams? I know there are some law enforcement, security and industrial applications, perhaps a few "extreme sports" users... but it doesn't seem like there'd be enough demand for the number of new models released in the last few years. I'd love to know what sector accounts for the majority of sales, the kind of volumes involved, and whether the market is even close to saturation...
Real estate too IMO.
01-25-2022, 06:18 AM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Real estate too IMO.
Ah, yes... That could be a considerable chunk of the market. Still, you'd think there's only so many units required per real-estate agent's office. The odd one or two will need replacing every now and then - but will they buy each new model that comes out? It just seems like there's so many of these things being produced...
01-25-2022, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #10
JPT
Pentaxian

Ricoh said that their sales of Theta increased by 20-30% during the pandemic because virtual imaging became more important. Real estate was a big category.

I have several colleagues who lived in small apartments but got fed up with working in such a confined space when we switched to working from home. They didn't want to go out physically searching for an apartment, so they were doing most of their searching online, and these kind of 360 virtual apartment tours are expected now. There are big chains of estate agents over here and if one of those companies decide to invest in Ricoh's solution, including the cameras and the hosting services, they are going to get some massive orders.

Another really interesting use of Theta I saw was by an NPO that was gathering donations for earthquake relief in a shopping mall (It was the one in Kyushu that wrecked the Sony sensor factory a few years back). They were inviting passers by to to put on a VR headset and experience what it is like to be standing among the rubble of the devastated buildings. I wonder if it worked to make people give more generously.
01-25-2022, 06:45 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Real estate too IMO.
Plus online sales of vehicles and other equipment with an 'interior' to be shown to potential buyers.
01-25-2022, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd love to get one if my finances weren't locked down. I feel like they'd scratch the same itch as super wide angles. I wonder, might be popular with people making VR content too?
01-25-2022, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Wish my Z1 had that screen... :-/ and the card and battery options.

I have also merged the 2 threads concerning this announcement.
01-25-2022, 11:50 AM - 3 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
360 cams are popular with YouTube creators too. After starting with the Theta, I switched over to Insta360, which had much better video IS than my last Theta. I wonder how this new Theta rates for video IS?

I also got an Oculus 2 recently and so did many family and friends. There's a new outlet for 360 content now and with rumors of an Apple VR headset, it's only going to grow.
01-25-2022, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Real estate too IMO.
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Ricoh said that their sales of Theta increased by 20-30% during the pandemic because virtual imaging became more important. Real estate was a big category.

I have several colleagues who lived in small apartments but got fed up with working in such a confined space when we switched to working from home. They didn't want to go out physically searching for an apartment, so they were doing most of their searching online, and these kind of 360 virtual apartment tours are expected now. There are big chains of estate agents over here and if one of those companies decide to invest in Ricoh's solution, including the cameras and the hosting services, they are going to get some massive orders.

Another really interesting use of Theta I saw was by an NPO that was gathering donations for earthquake relief in a shopping mall (It was the one in Kyushu that wrecked the Sony sensor factory a few years back). They were inviting passers by to to put on a VR headset and experience what it is like to be standing among the rubble of the devastated buildings. I wonder if it worked to make people give more generously.
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Plus online sales of vehicles and other equipment with an 'interior' to be shown to potential buyers.
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I'd love to get one if my finances weren't locked down. I feel like they'd scratch the same itch as super wide angles. I wonder, might be popular with people making VR content too?
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
360 cams are popular with YouTube creators too. After starting with the Theta, I switched over to Insta360, which had much better video IS than my last Theta. I wonder how this new Theta rates for video IS?

I also got an Oculus 2 recently and so did many family and friends. There's a new outlet for 360 content now and with rumors of an Apple VR headset, it's only going to grow.
Thanks, all... These use-cases all make complete sense. Plus, I guess there are new applications being discovered all the time