Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2022, 12:11 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Silly Ricoh Imaging Social Media Marketing

So they posted this on Instagram.

As of this posting the link in their bio does not go to a list of hashtags.

And, why wouldn’t they just include that list in the post?

Attached Images

02-07-2022, 12:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Question : why Insta only ?
02-07-2022, 01:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is weird.
02-07-2022, 01:12 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Some of us never even look at Instagram

02-07-2022, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So they responded and fixed the link issue.

I bet they want people to go to their website for the list for analytics reasons.
02-07-2022, 02:00 PM - 5 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It’s keeping the name before a larger public audience than conventional advertising would. Let’s just settle for incremental progress.
02-07-2022, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I checked and copied the link earlier, so it's there now. Ricoh have decided that sharing user photos on Instagram is a good way to show what people are doing with the gear, and it integrates with Facebook, so they get two platforms in one, effectively. Seems like a good strategy to me.

The only thing I dislike about Instagram is forcing everything into a square format.

02-07-2022, 10:17 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The other question might be, who owns the photo after posting. You or Ricoh !
02-08-2022, 12:11 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Answe: because the only other place for using hashtags is Twitter, and Instagram is the most popular photo-sharing app by a continent and a half (despite being *terrible* for its intended purpose... It's optimized for smartphone photos).

---------- Post added 02-08-22 at 12:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Some of us never even look at Instagram
"Some of us" is a terrible marketing strategy .

---------- Post added 02-08-22 at 12:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote

The only thing I dislike about Instagram is forcing everything into a square format.
It's been possible to post 3:2 and 16:9 since I joined a year ago (and probably earlier, I doubt they changed that for me ). The thumbnails on a profile are still square, but the feed (or clicking them) shows them at their intended aspect ratio.
02-08-2022, 12:30 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's always an online mistake to say, "Click here to go there to click on another thing." Always include the link in the initial post. Direct click.

I'm happy Ricoh used Insta, even though I don't have an account. It's a good way to reach more people. But they might need to hire someone who actually understands how social media works.
02-08-2022, 02:00 AM - 1 Like   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I find that landscape format can be published there with no cut off, (there's a button to click, on the bottom left of your image) but with portrait format that doesn't seem possible. I just increase the canvas size in Gimp to produce a square final image, then Instagram won't crop it.
02-08-2022, 02:05 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
It's always an online mistake to say, "Click here to go there to click on another thing." Always include the link in the initial post. Direct click.

I'm happy Ricoh used Insta, even though I don't have an account. It's a good way to reach more people. But they might need to hire someone who actually understands how social media works.
The reason they didn't include a link in the post is because IG doesn't allow clickable URLs to be used in the body of the post.
Directing viewers from your post to your bio is how it is on IG, unless you're linking a product on one's IG store.
They cannot include *all* the hashtags for the different lenses because IG limits you to 30 hashtags per post.

They can put a link inside an IG story post which is a different thing altogether and has its own set of requirements.
02-08-2022, 02:31 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pkboy Quote
The reason they didn't include a link in the post is because IG doesn't allow clickable URLs to be used in the body of the post.
Directing viewers from your post to your bio is how it is on IG, unless you're linking a product on one's IG store.
They cannot include *all* the hashtags for the different lenses because IG limits you to 30 hashtags per post.

They can put a link inside an IG story post which is a different thing altogether and has its own set of requirements.
They can add the ones that don't fit in the first comment, but that's admittedly a workaround.

---------- Post added 02-08-22 at 02:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Robot camera Quote
I find that landscape format can be published there with no cut off, (there's a button to click, on the bottom left of your image) but with portrait format that doesn't seem possible. I just increase the canvas size in Gimp to produce a square final image, then Instagram won't crop it.
I think the limit for vertical shots is 5:7 format (which, IMO, tends to be the preferred format for a portrait anyway ). The platform is annoyingly lacking in so many respects.
02-08-2022, 02:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
They can add the ones that don't fit in the first comment, but that's admittedly a workaround.
Considering what they were going for, it was better they didn't have 2 comments below their post filled with hashtags but that's just me.

Also, I don't follow many camera brands on IG so maybe they all have individual tags based on gear but I'm not a fan. wasn't #pentaxian enough or are we not doing that anymore
02-08-2022, 03:37 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's just interesting that they have some kind of presence on social media. Who knew?

(I'm not on Instagram so it's sort of lost on me).