Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2022, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
Agreed. They could make a good adapter for Nikon F lenses (Canon's flange is shorter than Pentax'). Adapters can be a first step to a new system. But I wouldn't hold my breath.
A good adapter, i.e. with a lot of electronics to convert the protocols, in a 1mm space (46.5mm - 45.46mm) ?

02-14-2022, 06:58 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
They are obviously in the process of sending a clear signal; those who prefer the DSLR know which horse to bet on...
And by the same token a signal that they're still in business and planning ahead.

---------- Post added 02-14-2022 at 03:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
A good adapter, i.e. with a lot of electronics to convert the protocols, in a 1mm space (46.5mm - 45.46mm) ?
Not with the electronics, no. but that's a no brainer anyway I'd think.
02-14-2022, 07:08 AM   #18
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agreed. They could make a good adapter for Nikon F lenses (Canon's flange is shorter than Pentax'). Adapters can be a first step to a new system. But I wouldn't hold my breath.
I would be very surprised.
With the K-to-Q device, they couldn’t even be bothered to translate signals when they owned both sets.
02-14-2022, 07:39 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

Not ignoring the film resurgence is a good approach. It may not necessarily means they plan a new film camera. It could be looking at bringing back service parts for existing cameras, accessories, maybe another run of the last film bodies or even factory refurbishing services.

Thanks,
Ismael

02-14-2022, 08:27 AM   #20
Pentaxian

(...)

Not with the electronics, no. but that's a no brainer anyway I'd think.
A no-brainer? Manual focus only, no command of the aperture with the Nikkor G lenses (no aperture ring) and the Nikkor E lenses (electronic control and command of the aperture), it being outlined that the last non-G non-E Nikkor lenses were announced in 2000, and stop-down metering with the older Nikkor lenses? Brilliant indeed!
02-14-2022, 08:35 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

Not ignoring the film resurgence is a good approach. It may not necessarily means they plan a new film camera. It could be looking at bringing back service parts for existing cameras, accessories, maybe another run of the last film bodies or even factory refurbishing services.

Thanks,
Ismael
Even if they don't produce a single film product I think it has value to the brand to be seen as understanding of and interested in analogue photography. It they then make digital gear with sympathy for the analogue experience I think they could make some sales. Most analogue shooters also have digital.
02-14-2022, 08:45 AM - 3 Likes   #22
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I sincerely doubt they are thinking of going too far to accommodate users of other systems. Probably all they are trying to do is provide some content that will tempt the various subcategories of SLR users to attend the event.

- Are you a Pentax user? Come to our event!
- Are you a Canon/Nikon user? Come to our event!
- Are you interested in film photography? Come to our event!

Then most of the applicants will be on the mailing list (a voluntary choice when applying) and at some point they might be tempted to buy a Pentax.

But certainly reaching out to other brand users like this is something they haven't done before. And it couldn't be timed better with all the recent stories of Nikon DSLR discontinuations, Canon EF lens discontinuations and Sony A-mount official discontinuation of everything we thought was discontinued years ago.

I've already seen some positive comments on Japanese forums from users of rival DSLRs who have registered. Some of them saying they are disgruntled with Nikon and Canon and are potential Pentax customers. One is a mirrorless camera user who is tired of all the other camera makers going in the same direction, saying he/she might just add a Pentax for variety.

02-14-2022, 08:54 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Surely it makes sense for Ricoh to make a K1000 or MX or suchlike to sell to film photographers. That would instantly entrench Ricoh/Pentax as different from mirrorless over and above Pentax dSLRs. Or are there so few film photographers that the venture wouldn't be viable?
02-14-2022, 08:55 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I sincerely doubt they are thinking of going too far to accommodate users of other systems.
I think they'd be in big trouble if they'd accommodate too much the users of other systems - they don't have enough production capacity to take over Canon EF/Nikon F users
02-14-2022, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #25
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
Surely it makes sense for Ricoh to make a K1000 or MX or suchlike to sell to film photographers. That would instantly entrench Ricoh/Pentax as different from mirrorless over and above Pentax dSLRs. Or are there so few film photographers that the venture wouldn't be viable?
What might be a cool idea would be for Ricoh to start a side business of acquiring and restoring old film bodies (Pentax or Ricoh) and selling them as second-hand/recycled bodies and lenses to customers from their online store. They could even put them in fresh packaging and provide a limited warranty.
02-14-2022, 09:40 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Pentax halo product being a analogue SLR! Sell at loss for goodwill and marketing

(
02-14-2022, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

I am completely lost in translation, while other canicofuson manufacturers are thinking about abandoning their old technology and moving to something completely new, not evolution but revolution, Pentax users are thinking about Ricoh who would accept this abandoned old technology and start rebuilding his old technology. and all this in the new packaging presents to its customers as something wow in the DSLR world adapted to Pentax K carrier, because none of the mentioned former greats of DSLR technology is gone, only Ricoh is left to recycle the past and his and others in the new packaging, I hope I'm wrong understood the context, I hope Ricoh plans to improve its products that will appeal to everyone as another choice for those who use mirrorless cameras to be able to take pictures with something different without losing quality in any aspect of photography only with a different approach to photography, yes Ricoh just wants to prove that he insists on continuing to improve DSLR technology by which Pentax would be recognizable as a quality manufacturer with its technology in the production of photographic equipment, and not on recycling someone else's

Last edited by mbukal; 02-14-2022 at 10:00 AM.
02-14-2022, 09:45 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Not all of us agree on re-starting the support (or even production) of film cameras
But playing the nostalgia card might help Pentax get more recognition, and in effect sales.
02-14-2022, 09:50 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mbukal Quote
I am completely lost in translation, while other kanikosony manufacturers are thinking about abandoning their old technology and moving to something completely new, not evolution but revolution, Pentax users are thinking about Ricoh who would accept this abandoned old technology, and start rebuilding his old technology. and all this in the new packaging presents to its customers as something wow in the DSLR world adapted to Pentax K mount, because none of the aforementioned previous greats of DSLR technology is no longer there, only Ricoh remained to recycle the past and his own and others in the new packaging, I hope I misunderstood the context, I hope Ricoh has plans to perfect its products that will be attractive to its capabilities and photographic properties to all those who use mirrorless cameras without losing quality in any aspect of photography only with a different approach to photography

Old technology? It is the same technology going into a DSLR and a mirrorless. It is about what viewfinder you want, not technology. Mirrorless cameras has been around since photography was invented.
It should be obvious by now that Pentax have no plans at present to make a mirrorless camera....

---------- Post added 02-14-22 at 05:57 PM ----------

I don't think so. Newly made version of these cameras would be too expensive. There are after all several millions of used ones in existence. If they intend to make a new film body, it must be a camera that add values and features not available on older cameras.
Pentax do have a finished developed film body that never reached production; the MZ-1. Developing cost is written off long ago. With updated AF and metering it could conceivably be put in production, though I don't believe it will happen...

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 02-14-2022 at 09:58 AM.
02-14-2022, 10:18 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Not all of us agree on re-starting the support (or even production) of film cameras
But playing the nostalgia card might help Pentax get more recognition, and in effect sales.
yes, of course, but with the obligatory possession and products for those who want something different from not mirrorless photography but with the same possibilities and a completely different approach, film today is too expensive for daily consuming of photography, and has important limitations such as the amount of photos, eg 36, and the current screen display, such as chipping, I doubt that Pentax would attract new and keep old users if it did not have the best current photography opportunities and only then an additional choice for those who want the limitations of the past and prefer to play with developing film when they come home from photography

Last edited by mbukal; 02-14-2022 at 10:30 AM.