Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2022, 03:26 PM   #361
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I spent around $700 for a Canon "Elan" kit {camera body plus 28-80mm lens plus a really good bag that I used for 20 years and is still in near mint condition} in 1995, the last film camera I purchased.
My Spotmatic F is in similar condition, but I bought an ES and then an ESII a few years afterwards, although I continued to use the SP-F, as well. The ESII is not near mint, but still pretty good.

US inflation since 1995 represents a change in value of around 1.86, but which Canon was it? They sold Elan kits from the Eos 1 to the 30.

03-17-2022, 03:49 AM - 1 Like   #362
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
My Spotmatic F is in similar condition, but I bought an ES and then an ESII a few years afterwards, although I continued to use the SP-F, as well. The ESII is not near mint, but still pretty good.

US inflation since 1995 represents a change in value of around 1.86, but which Canon was it? They sold Elan kits from the Eos 1 to the 30.
In the US, the Elan was a separate model, not a package.
I think the original US elan was the EOS100 in 1991 and the Elan II/IIe (1995) was the EOS 50/50e.
They were one step up from the Rebel/Kiss line.

In the mid-90s, you could get the Rebel as the base model (in one of several flavors), then the Elan, The A2/A2e, then the pro-level stuff.

-Eric
03-17-2022, 09:02 AM   #363
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

My primary point was the condition of the bag; the stitching started coming out of the Pentax bag I purchased in 2015 and I used it for only a year or so. I literally did use the Canon bag for twenty years, and would still use it, but I don’t want to advertise them.
Canon builds quality stuff; this will impress users more than the things people here seem to concentrate on.
The plastic mounts on lenses have also been long-lasting; the camera body and my Canon 50mm lens feel that they are mostly made from plastic also.

Last edited by reh321; 03-17-2022 at 09:44 AM.
03-17-2022, 09:35 AM   #364
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

My camera was labeled only as "EOS Elan". In a sense, the film and lens were more important than the body was.
I don't know whether the kit was assembled by Canon or by the local camera store.

I used the camera for 11-1/2 years - mostly with the lens it was kitted with.
I continued to carry the kit lens in my bag after I got the "digital Rebel" - even though the lens kitted with the "digital Rebel" fit 'APS-C' better,
and it accidentally rolled out of the bag and down a ravine sometime later - so I photographed my "Elan" with another lens.
I have seen lenses like the one I had for sale on eBay, so I know they have lasted - I only hope the Squirrels found a good use for my former one.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 

Last edited by reh321; 03-17-2022 at 09:41 AM.
03-17-2022, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #365
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Let's say a moon roof is a $1500 option on a $40,000 car. That's less than 4% of the purchase price. That's $75 off a $2000 camera. How many people would buy a K-3 III with no 4k video if it cost $75 less, but wouldn't buy as is? My guess is almost no one. Sounds to me like some people think dropping a handful of features would turn a K-3 III into a $1000 camera, which is not ever happening.
Let's say that the moonroof comes as a "forced option" and is more or less standard equipment, and removing it requires a fairly major retooling. Now removing it will actually add to the price of the car.
My daughter wanted to buy a new car with a manual transmission. Not only were they rare on the ground, they were more expensive than slush box cars.
She ended up with a slush box because Jeeps no longer come with manual transmissions at all unless you are willing to settle for one of their Tonka Truck styled pretend utilitarian pieces of junk.

The comparison between cameras and cars, as common as they seem to be, are rarely well thought out, and generally false to the point they can be skewered like a toy balloon.
03-17-2022, 01:30 PM   #366
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
In the US, the Elan was a separate model, not a package.
I think the original US elan was the EOS100 in 1991 and the Elan II/IIe (1995) was the EOS 50/50e.
They were one step up from the Rebel/Kiss line.

In the mid-90s, you could get the Rebel as the base model (in one of several flavors), then the Elan, The A2/A2e, then the pro-level stuff.

-Eric
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My camera was labeled only as "EOS Elan". In a sense, the film and lens were more important than the body was.
I don't know whether the kit was assembled by Canon or by the local camera store.

I used the camera for 11-1/2 years - mostly with the lens it was kitted with.
I continued to carry the kit lens in my bag after I got the "digital Rebel" - even though the lens kitted with the "digital Rebel" fit 'APS-C' better,
and it accidentally rolled out of the bag and down a ravine sometime later - so I photographed my "Elan" with another lens.
I have seen lenses like the one I had for sale on eBay, so I know they have lasted - I only hope the Squirrels found a good use for my former one.
OK. Thatís clear now. Different regions, different marketing.
03-22-2022, 02:09 AM   #367
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If someone is interested then you can listen to nice voice of leading lady

03-22-2022, 03:21 PM   #368
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
OK. Thatís clear now. Different regions, different marketing.
And I'll admit, as long as you were OK with green, the Canon carry bags of the 90s in the US were outstanding value for the money...

If I hadn't bought a nice Domke, I would have bought one... and my Galen Rowell bag looks completely ridiculous these days...

-Eric