Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2022, 06:24 PM - 20 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax to hold "SLR Meeting" on March 13

Pentax is having a fan event on March 13 that is firmly focused on SLR cameras.

Edit: The text in the image says "SLR Meeting 2022" on the top line, and "Gather, SLR lovers!" on the second.

Content
- Talk by panelists on what they like about SLR cameras
- Survey about film cameras and why people like them (they will reveal the results of some kind of survey conducted in Japan)
- Some talk about Pentax (this is very vague and they seem be saying not to get your expectations up too much)
- Shutter sound competition - This sounds like fun, They will play the sounds of shutters from various manufacturers and poll the audience on which sounds best)
- In-depth discussion of SLRs in the future

Here's the direct link (Japanese - Beware of online translation. If the translation looks illogical and weird, it probably is!)
?????????? 2022 | RICOH IMAGING

There is no English version of this page, and we must assume it's for the Japanese audience. But I guess there's a strong chance a PF member will attend and summarize . . .

It sounds like this is the kick-off for the fan events under their new strategy. I find it interesting that they mention film SLRs as well as digital. Perhaps they are exploring whether it makes sense to make one again? From similar events I've attended in the past, it has usually been a celebration of the brand, but it does seem like they will say something about the future.

It also seems like they are implicitly targeting SLR fans from other brands whi are being cast aside by their manufacturers. It has become increasingly clear in the last few months that Canon and Nikon are both giving up on SLRs faster than expected, so there is an opportunity to attract the customers they are hanging out to dry.

Last edited by JPT; 02-13-2022 at 07:03 PM.
02-13-2022, 07:14 PM - 6 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I find it interesting that they mention film SLRs as well as digital. Perhaps they are exploring whether it makes sense to make one again?
This is making more sense, all of a sudden. If Pentax is positioning itself as THE SLR brand, a modern film SLR that can accommodate modern K mount (KAF4?) lenses as well as vintage glass would look very appealing for film shooters.
02-13-2022, 07:43 PM - 2 Likes   #3
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
This is making more sense, all of a sudden. If Pentax is positioning itself as THE SLR brand, a modern film SLR that can accommodate modern K mount (KAF4?) lenses as well as vintage glass would look very appealing for film shooters.
It's interesting and as you say I do think they are trying to position themselves as "The SLR Brand". However, I think making a new film camera is the more extreme interpretation. They might just want to know, "How interested are you in reading/talking about film photography on the website/in events?"

I don't want to assume or raise expectations that new products will be announced, but the timing kind of works out. It would make sense to get their new Japanese sales channel off to a good start have something new to sell through their new sales channel when is starts on April 1. If they did this, they would normally announce it 3 weeks in advance of availability, which makes March 13 a good date.

The wording of this is really interesting. It is not framed as a "Pentax" event. It is a framed as an event for SLR lovers, presented by Pentax. The third point is about Pentax, but it is like "Let us spend a little time talking about Pentax - we don't want to be greedy". So it doesn't sound like they are trying to reach out and be inclusive to SLR users from other systems and not do too much of a hard sell on them.
02-13-2022, 09:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you for posting this information. I hope some members will attend and let us know all about the event.

02-14-2022, 01:00 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Nice, thanks for posting. I'm not expecting much, no new products for example, but I'm curious what they'll say about the SLR's future (since it's supposed to be an in-depth discussion).

I agree on no new film camera; that would be as expensive as a DSLR, and no one would buy it. This part is IMO about film SLR users, and in a more general sense, about why people like SLRs.
02-14-2022, 01:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

This sounds like the definition of a useless meeting.

Stop worrying about Pentax, it's not a planet killer asteroid heading our way for impact in the next few years.
02-14-2022, 01:52 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nocturnal Quote
This sounds like the definition of a useless meeting.
It's not useless from Ricoh's standpoint. SLR is pretty mature tech, even if Pentax was late to full frame, the lens lineup, including legacy glass, is fairly complete, so it's not like there would be frequent new product releases due to a new lens mount (e.g mirrorless situation). Nurturing Pentax customers, e.g. via users meetings, helps maintain Pentax brand share of mind and avoid the feelings associated with long time gaps between product releases. Such Pentax meetings, animating Pentax communities, are critical to Pentax survival (like for Leica).

02-14-2022, 02:24 AM   #8
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just curious - would there be copyright issues if Pentax were to produce a body or adapter to mount and give functionality to say a Canon or Nikon Lens?
02-14-2022, 03:11 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tank your for osting the news JPT! I am looking forward to the summarize of the event. Espescially if some feedback of the participants is included!
I think how Pentax can position itself in the Japanese home market is important for all of us Pentaxians worldwide. So I wellcome every news!
02-14-2022, 04:17 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Just curious - would there be copyright issues if Pentax were to produce a body or adapter to mount and give functionality to say a Canon or Nikon Lens?
Not with the (mechanical) mount itself -Canon EF and Nikon F mounts are old enough to not be protected by any patent anymore- but possibly with the electronic communication protocols. Licences would be needed.
02-14-2022, 04:36 AM   #11
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Not with the (mechanical) mount itself -Canon EF and Nikon F mounts are old enough to not be protected by any patent anymore- but possibly with the electronic communication protocols. Licences would be needed.
It would be awful wouldn't it (but probably good market sense) if they brought out a new Pentax that took these mounts.
But it wouldn't seem so bad if they called it a Ricoh !
A very tempting market as the other DSLRs age and their users who are biased towards DSLR have a bag full of lenses.
02-14-2022, 04:56 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I argued in a previous thread that Pentax should try to get a broader set of camera nerds to their events. Film shooters are very present on social media and amongs young people. Expanding it to include other brands is a great move.

To be seen as a brand that nurtures film lovers will become immensely valuable. The way it looks now photography is basically reverting to film.
02-14-2022, 04:56 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

I'm afraid I don't see the sense in a Canon EF/Nikon F mount Ricoh Imaging camera. Just to sell some cameras (while dealing with reverse engineering and such) to people who wouldn't switch to Pentax K? Sorry, those people are served still by the new market, and then by the second hand market.
Most important, they wouldn't be coopted into the Pentax K system, which is most important.

I'm sure that's not what Ricoh Imaging have in mind, regarding the SLRs in the future.
02-14-2022, 06:09 AM - 3 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
They are obviously in the process of sending a clear signal; those who prefer the DSLR know which horse to bet on...
02-14-2022, 06:53 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'm afraid I don't see the sense in a Canon EF/Nikon F mount Ricoh Imaging camera. Just to sell some cameras (while dealing with reverse engineering and such) to people who wouldn't switch to Pentax K? Sorry, those people are served still by the new market, and then by the second hand market.
Most important, they wouldn't be coopted into the Pentax K system, which is most important.

I'm sure that's not what Ricoh Imaging have in mind, regarding the SLRs in the future.
Agreed. They could make a good adapter for Nikon F lenses (Canon's flange is shorter than Pentax'). Adapters can be a first step to a new system. But I wouldn't hold my breath.