Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
03-20-2022, 04:22 PM   #31
Forum Member

Disappointing that the date of the photo is so restrictive ie 12 February 2022 to 23 March 2022.
The contest appears to take no consideration of the season, the weather, the location worldwide or the many Covid restrictions (official or self imposed) in play.
I don't see what such a restrictive date has to do with the quality of a photograph.

03-20-2022, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by YM-Mundrabilla Quote
Disappointing that the date of the photo is so restrictive ie 12 February 2022 to 23 March 2022.
It was announced about a month in advance to plan ahead to shoot over a months worth. I don't think your point is fair.
03-20-2022, 06:54 PM   #33
Forum Member

Sorry, but I beg to disagree.
Fair or not, I still think that to limit entries to those taken over a space of around five weeks is unnecessarily restrictive.
Not everyone has an earth-shattering pic worthy of this competition taken or able to be taken in the space of five weeks.
To me, the time span, arbitrarily and unnecessarily, will restrict the quality of the entries.
03-20-2022, 07:24 PM - 2 Likes   #34
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Fair or not, I still think that to limit entries to those taken over a space of around five weeks is unnecessarily restrictive.
Not everyone has an earth-shattering pic worthy of this competition taken or able to be taken in the space of five weeks.
To me, the time span, arbitrarily and unnecessarily, will restrict the quality of the entries.
If you'd like more time, then, as a heads-up, there will be another contest shortly after this one that will feature another lens prize. The theme for that one will be "shoot the boring, mundane, everyday in a creative way", with no focal length restrictions. The idea is that for this contest, we want folks to go out and shoot a photo, rather than searching through archives to find something matching the theme. There is no such restriction for our monthly contests if that's what you'd prefer to do, however.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-20-2022, 07:29 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm OK with the time restriction, as it potentially gets the creative juices flowing. However, as I just noticed, there are indeed issues, even severe, with the quality of some entries. I've seen this elsewhere, and it's almost like throwing spaghetti at the wall and seeing what sticks. There should be a way to let some entrants know what they can do to improve their entries, except, you know, who gets to decide which entrants need some help? Hopefully the number of views and nominations will clue some people in, except that I clicked on some images that I may not have entered to see if my eyes were still trustworthy, so maybe just nominations?
03-20-2022, 07:36 PM   #36
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by demondata Quote
I'm OK with the time restriction, as it potentially gets the creative juices flowing. However, as I just noticed, there are indeed issues, even severe, with the quality of some entries. I've seen this elsewhere, and it's almost like throwing spaghetti at the wall and seeing what sticks. There should be a way to let some entrants know what they can do to improve their entries, except, you know, who gets to decide which entrants need some help? Hopefully the number of views and nominations will clue some people in, except that I clicked on some images that I may not have entered to see if my eyes were still trustworthy, so maybe just nominations?
The number of comments (or lack thereof) can often be a good indication, that said in this contest there will be no public nomination phase, unlike our monthly contests.

Therefore, you're more than welcome to provide feedback through a reply (replies are not going to be factored in as part of the finalist selection process). All submissions can conventionality be viewed in the gallery below:
Special Photo Contest: Wide Open Spaces (2022) Gallery View - PentaxForums.com

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-20-2022, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #37
Forum Member

I have obviously misunderstood the difference between the 'special' and the 'monthly' contests. Until this minute I did not realise there was one.

As Adam has said, we will await the number of nominations in the 'Wide Open Spaces' contest.

03-20-2022, 09:07 PM - 2 Likes   #38
Pentaxian

Did you read the entire thread, beginning with post #1???
I did, and was inspired by one of the first comments to try something “special” a month ago -
the time between inspiration and completion was about two days - all the work being done outside
{I don’t know what Australian Covid rules are like, but in the US we have had little limitation on outdoors activities}
I don’t claim that it is “great art”, but I believe it is in the spirit of the thing.
I believe some of the comments in this thread about ‘not great’ photos are not in ‘the spirit’.
This contest is definitely not a contest for improving photos via ‘PP’, for example,
although the cropping used by @Kerrowdown was truly inspired.

Last edited by reh321; 03-20-2022 at 09:15 PM.
03-21-2022, 03:18 AM   #39
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
although the cropping used by @Kerrowdown was truly inspired.
Thank you for your kind words.
03-21-2022, 06:25 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The number of comments (or lack thereof) can often be a good indication, that said in this contest there will be no public nomination phase, unlike our monthly contests.

Therefore, you're more than welcome to provide feedback through a reply (replies are not going to be factored in as part of the finalist selection process). All submissions can conventionality be viewed in the gallery below:
Special Photo Contest: Wide Open Spaces (2022) Gallery View - PentaxForums.com
I’m sorry Adam, I had no idea you were looking for comments now.
I was generally reserving my comments for later, because I didn’t want them to affect what some people submitted later. I never dreamed that some people might look through old photos; to me, this was a time to do something new, but meeting the requirements. Personally, I looked for times when I wasn’t otherwise needed {by my wife, for example}, so I could go off and try what I was thinking.
03-21-2022, 09:11 AM   #41
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I’m sorry Adam, I had no idea you were looking for comments now.
I was generally reserving my comments for later, because I didn’t want them to affect what some people submitted later. I never dreamed that some people might look through old photos; to me, this was a time to do something new, but meeting the requirements. Personally, I looked for times when I wasn’t otherwise needed {by my wife, for example}, so I could go off and try what I was thinking.
It's entirely up to you. Comments on these contest submissions will not be factored in as part of the judging process.

Adam

03-21-2022, 09:21 AM   #42
Pentaxian

It's entirely up to you. Comments on these contest submissions will not be factored in as part of the judging process.
I was more concerned about influencing the future submissions.
03-21-2022, 11:29 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vegan420 Quote
Give me a day or 2 pls i need to sort out lightroom or other comparable software
apparently they only do 7 day trials these days and i'm not getting a license since i'm not even earning anything from photography these days lol
I went out yesterday so the photo should be dated on the 19th i hope i can still submit even if it's a bit late

if not otherwise might have to pull an all nighter lol
Try DXO Photolab while you are at it.
03-21-2022, 08:22 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Today is the last official day of the contest, though I've added a grace period through the 23rd so that everyone can get their last-minute submissions in!
I stopped counting at five entries after noon today; I’m sure you have more accurate statistics, but it seems to me that your ‘grace period’ has increased the number of entries.
03-21-2022, 08:22 PM   #45
Forum Member

As I have said, I have obviously misunderstood the intent of this thread by confusing it with the usual monthly contests.
Might I also say that I did not set out to offend anyone but my comment about the time frame is, I believe, still relevant not that I expect that to influence the activities of the vast majority of Forum Members.
Remember it is only a hobby.