Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2022, 07:07 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The idea is to portray something vast that might normally require a wide-angle lens, without using one

And in this spirit I would personally stay away from panoramas and composites, but it's up to you!
A couple of related questions:

1. My ‘gimp’ tends to strip EXIF off KP photos. Does that mean I would have them exactly right to qualify?

2. Suppose I could get the following actions completed in a few weeks:
a. take a film photo b. get the film developed. c. scan the negative
The resulting scan would have info only about the scanner - certainly nothing about the lens used
Would you accept my word that I had used a Takumar 50mm and that I took the photo during the required time period??

02-18-2022, 08:05 PM   #17
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
A couple of related questions:

1. My ‘gimp’ tends to strip EXIF off KP photos. Does that mean I would have them exactly right to qualify?

2. Suppose I could get the following actions completed in a few weeks:
a. take a film photo b. get the film developed. c. scan the negative
The resulting scan would have info only about the scanner - certainly nothing about the lens used
Would you accept my word that I had used a Takumar 50mm and that I took the photo during the required time period??
You can simply input the lens in the metadata fields in your post- no need to worry about the exif.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-19-2022, 12:05 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Our minds think alike. I assumed stitching is allowed… but good to ask.

---------- Post added 02-18-22 at 08:36 AM ----------

I assume honor and the Exif? The real focal length is the only restriction, perhaps an image of the gear setup is a good idea of Exif isn’t available (adapter lenses on some systems for example). I think personal honesty is about the only real gate on this one.
Certainly right. I like the spirit of this contest. I’m just curious. Rules are rules. This is a great opportunity to get some shots with the kit lens fully zoomed in. It’s a personal composition game and challenge, after all.
02-20-2022, 07:28 PM   #19
Pentaxian

You can simply input the lens in the metadata fields in your post- no need to worry about the exif.
Thank you.

Now, we are allowed only one entry.
Do you provide a mechanism if someone decides to replace his one entry??

02-20-2022, 07:43 PM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Yes, simply edit your post.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-20-2022, 09:16 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Yes, simply edit your post.
Thank you.
You seem to have set up quite a structure to support this contest - example, new entries show up in the gallery shortly after they are properly entered - so I wasn’t sure if this process would be upset by a normal ‘Edit’ or ‘Delete’,
02-21-2022, 06:05 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

This contest has me thinking in new ways about shooting.
The first is how can I use my photography to show people new ways of thinking about space.
The second is how to take advantage of optical properties like compession to achieve the first.
I have been thinking about the Ames Room illusion.
This can only improve my photography even more than winning the lens.
This is a win. My first thinking was drive to the biggest wide open space followed closely with a 55mm on a 6x7 camera. I began with a beginners attitude. You know. My photos are bad, it is my subjects and cameras fault.
I am looking forward to the photos and what I can learn from them.

02-21-2022, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
My first thinking was drive to the biggest wide open space followed closely with a 55mm on a 6x7 camera. I began with a beginners attitude. You know. My photos are bad, it is my subjects and cameras fault.
I am looking forward to the photos and what I can learn from them.
I took the opposite approach, using a 50mm lens on a "Q" - if I could do it with a "Q", I could do it with anything,
I was not totally satisfied with what I posted, so I went out again today - even though my Q-S1 was set to use both "lens" and "electronic" shutters, I could hear that the adapter's shutter wasn't working, and the results were even worse. It is probably time to give up. It was a good experience in any case.
02-21-2022, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #24
m96

The idea is to portray something vast that might normally require a wide-angle lens, without using one
Taken at a focal length of 50mm or longer (regardless of format)
I half-expect someone to whip out a Pentax 67 or similar medium format system where a 50mm lens would be an ultrawide!
02-21-2022, 12:49 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
When GIMP does that I will just export a small JPG from RawTherapee (or what ever raw developer you use) and then use the exiftool to repopulate the EXIF data to the GIMP edited image. On the command line I run this in the directory where I put both files:
exiftool -tagsfromfile orig.jpg -exif new.jpg
Where orig.jpg is the small .jpg file that has all the metadata and new.jpg is the one that you want to add it to. The exiftool command will make a copy of new.jpg and will copy the original new.jpg to another file and add the EXIF data to a copy so that if you mess thigns up you can always unwind it.

Here is where I learned how to do this and copied the above line from.
02-22-2022, 08:42 AM   #26
Pentaxian

What a great contest, and definitely one to get the creative juices flowing.
03-01-2022, 07:57 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry I showed up late for this party. I dug out my legendary fast 50 after reading this right before a hike and tried a few things up in Rock Castle gorge. The waterfall pics I had gone after didn't work out due to low sun/bad light but I found a new toy in that 50mm manual around sunset. Turns out it's better for shooting through lots of trees due to the short dof.

What an inspiring challenge Adam!
03-20-2022, 10:40 AM   #28
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Today is the last official day of the contest, though I've added a grace period through the 23rd so that everyone can get their last-minute submissions in!

Adam

03-20-2022, 02:02 PM   #29

Give me a day or 2 pls i need to sort out lightroom or other comparable software
apparently they only do 7 day trials these days and i'm not getting a license since i'm not even earning anything from photography these days lol
I went out yesterday so the photo should be dated on the 19th i hope i can still submit even if it's a bit late

if not otherwise might have to pull an all nighter lol
03-20-2022, 02:03 PM   #30

Today is the last official day of the contest, though I've added a grace period through the 23rd so that everyone can get their last-minute submissions in!
Oh right on
I'll get it uploaded by tomorrow thanks