12-12-2008, 04:26 PM   #16
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by the_int21h Quote
I've always enjoyed this link: Ken Rockwell Facts
It's a great laugh... really.

-Brian
LoL that list made laugh, I nearly cried and couldn't speak how I was l laughing...
Please, if you'll find more like this, let me know

12-12-2008, 06:46 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
LoL that list made laugh, I nearly cried and couldn't speak how I was l laughing...
Please, if you'll find more like this, let me know
Hehe, even this is fun:

"Before Nikon or Canon releases a camera they go to Ken and they ask him to test them, the best cameras get a Nikon sticker and the less good get a Canon sticker

Once Ken tested a camera, he said I cant even put Canon on this one,thats how Pentax was born"

But contrary to many people, I actually quite like to read KR. He has some good points and I don't think many of his statements are to be taken seriously. And I don't think it is his intend.
12-23-2008, 02:09 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the link.

This part is pretty funny, since it comes from a pixelpeeper like KR :
“It's [A28/2.8] only weaknesses are softer corners and sides wide-open, but this rarely matters for anything other than deliberate tests, and is fine stopped down.”

He also writes :
“I support my growing family through this website.
If you've gotten your gear through one of my links or helped otherwise, you're family.”

So, if suddenly I’m family when I bought from B&H, does that mean, I can get his support ;-?

I think it it a bit annoying how he tries to trick people into clicking on Amazon, BH, Adorama links. You think some link might provide additional info, and then it is just to get you, to a sales place instead.
As I understand it, he is also very indiscriminate about who gives him money. Some paid links on his site, might be from hustlers or dubious sites. (He in some article wrote a small note, on how he couldn't see all that would be viewable to the readers) :

How to buy photo equipment

"The ads immediately to the right and at the bottom are not from my website, they come to your screen from 3rd parties, and could be places you'd not want to use. Beware; I use Adorama, Ritz, Amazon and B&H. I've also used J&R in NYC, Calumet, Crutchfield and Costco, all of which are excellent. Any other ads you you see on this site I have not seen, I don't see them before they appear on your screen, and I cannot endorse them personally."

If he cared so much about us the readers, more than his wallet, he wouldn't be accepting links on his site that he couldn't vouch for.

QuoteOriginally posted by AlbertSiegel Quote
It is only insulting if you try to take a position of knowing what someone thinks when you are not that person or in their situation, that is the only thing arrogant about this in my opinion.

I never said or hinted that poverty is proof of intellectual inability. I simply gave a scenario of a believable situation which he can be compared to. I never thought of poverty as being synonymous with intellectual inability, that was your perception. That being said, could it be you that sees things that way?

Anyway, I based my opinion on an actual person I met while on assignment. This is hardly an arrogant attempt to insult anyone other than Ken Rockwell who I do believe is proof of intellectual inability. If anything, I insulted the homeless man when I compared Ken Rockwell to him.
Didn't see anything wrong with your first comment / post in the thread.

(Edit : though I find this statement by Ratjadi, if not spot on, then at least very worthwhile;
"Rich and successful people are often socially and morally underdeveloped, which is IMO some sort of precondition to succeed in this world (look at the financial crisis)." )

Last edited by Jonson PL; 12-23-2008 at 12:53 PM.
12-23-2008, 09:57 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
"The ads immediately to the right and at the bottom are not from my website, they come to your screen from 3rd parties, and could be places you'd not want to use. Beware; I use Adorama, Ritz, Amazon and B&H. I've also used J&R in NYC, Calumet, Crutchfield and Costco, all of which are excellent. Any other ads you you see on this site I have not seen, I don't see them before they appear on your screen, and I cannot endorse them personally."

If he cared so much about us the readers, more than his wallet, he wouldn't be accepting links on his site that he couldn't vouch for.
Obviously you've never run a ad supported website.

12-23-2008, 10:41 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
Maybe he should be more careful on where he spends his hosting money...
Lame excuse and a cheap b@st@rd on top of it..
12-23-2008, 11:18 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Maybe he should be more careful on where he spends his hosting money...
Lame excuse and a cheap b@st@rd on top of it..
Of the thousands of websites I've seen with google ads on them, his is one out of probably 5 that actually warns people that the ads might go somewhere bad, and he gets dissed for this? Also, I can't even find the ads in question on any pages ATM, it seems he may have removed them. If you take issue with his articles, complain about that, stop trying to find other reasons to hate him.

niX, failing to resist the flamewar.

Edit: realize the wink may have meant the post was being sarcastic, in that case, disregard this post.
12-23-2008, 07:03 PM   #22

It makes me a bit queezy reading his begging for help. Hey Ken, F#{$Off!

12-23-2008, 08:19 PM   #23
Veteran Member

To his credit, he has written about the MP myth and currently recommends the bottom of the line D40 as the best choice for most people. That is in marked contrast to most review sites and pundits. And he is nothing if not opinionated, but at least he is up-front about it.

I don't use any of his information as the basis of a purchase, but then again I think that "tests" are largely crap anyway. I'll take the subjective opinions of someone who actually shoots photos that I appreciate (Sean Reid comes to mind along with a few others) as opposed to a faceless bunch of machine tests.

Or think of it another way. Who is more FOS - KR or RH?
12-23-2008, 10:14 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I visit his site from time to time, but like anything else you've got to filter out the junk. If anything he's entertaining and somewhat wishy washy, but for the most part he has some good information, albeit sometimes against the grain. Again, I've got to post this link. Love him or hate him, it's pretty funny...

Ken Rockwell Facts

-Brian
12-24-2008, 12:16 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I find him quite entertaining and sometimes refreshing. His reccommending low end cameras is the best thing about his site. Too often we think that the best and latest gadgets will make us better and his photos prove that it isn't so. His images are equally oversaturated and cliched regardless of which camera he uses.....
12-25-2008, 09:14 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
And since you guys bumped this thread anyway, might as well tell you that today he's posted a review of the Pentax 645 as well!
12-26-2008, 07:18 PM   #27
Veteran Member

May I call you Al?

QuoteOriginally posted by AlbertSiegel Quote
It is only insulting if you try to take a position of knowing what someone thinks when you are not that person or in their situation, that is the only thing arrogant about this in my opinion.

I never said or hinted that poverty is proof of intellectual inability. I simply gave a scenario of a believable situation which he can be compared to. I never thought of poverty as being synonymous with intellectual inability, that was your perception. That being said, could it be you that sees things that way?

Anyway, I based my opinion on an actual person I met while on assignment. This is hardly an arrogant attempt to insult anyone other than Ken Rockwell who I do believe is proof of intellectual inability. If anything, I insulted the homeless man when I compared Ken Rockwell to him.
Cheap-shotting the messenger and not talking about the message again, huh Al?

You don't like Rockewell or his work, that's fine, but why not keep the bile to yourself and confine your post to the validity of what he said in this particular instance, instead of firing off snarky comments about him as an individual?

Brian
02-04-2009, 01:41 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
I go to various sites and people for info; Andy Biggs, Sean Reid, T.O.P., Michael Reichmann, Lloyd Chambers, etc.

I don’t hate Ken R., as at least he is always fun for a good laugh. But ending each article with pictures of his baby grandchildren, and always talking about how we should help him, really is tiresome to be fed.
Reichmann’s deep links are often to other reviews that he had of a product, not directly to Adorama and the likes. Chambers also refers to Canon general link, not to buy sites.
Mike Johnston has also started having buy links directly in articles, apparently because when linking to his articles these can fall out. I also do not favour it, but it is nowhere near as bad as Ken R.

Besides I’m not surprised that Ken R. is no longer a working photographer. His work is ghastly oversaturated, and mostly lack creative touch.

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
To his credit, he has written about the MP myth and currently recommends the bottom of the line D40 as the best choice for most people. That is in marked contrast to most review sites and pundits. And he is nothing if not opinionated, but at least he is up-front about it.

I don't use any of his information as the basis of a purchase, but then again I think that "tests" are largely crap anyway. I'll take the subjective opinions of someone who actually shoots photos that I appreciate (Sean Reid comes to mind along with a few others) as opposed to a faceless bunch of machine tests.

Or think of it another way. Who is more FOS - KR or RH?
At least Ken R. has a sense of humour, selfirony, and know when he is talking BS.

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
And since you guys bumped this thread anyway, might as well tell you that today he's posted a review of the Pentax 645 as well!
Thanks, I can always read more about Pentax

Apparently in these times; C, N and Sony users have been milked dry, so why not try a new place and target group
02-04-2009, 02:07 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Substitute Quote
C'mon guys, be kind, the man sys "I support my growing family through this website.

If you find this as helpful as a book you might have had to buy or a workshop you may have had to take, feel free to help me continue helping everyone."
He needs help ...:-)
if only someone paid me for my arrogance

****, id buy you all nice cars
02-04-2009, 02:42 PM   #30
Veteran Member

you clearly arent doing it right, then